You can type here any text you want

To roll or not to roll thats my question...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

cecil bass

Im trying to figure out if i should go with rolling parts or not timing chain, cam, ect. Is there a benefit to going with rolling parts verse the higher price? Im not planing to race at the track on the regular but, i plan on making a street warrior that can hang with the best of them. And also with rolling parts are there any extra parts i have to buy or special steps to make it all work correctly for longevity?
Thank you all for your expertise!!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Roller cam and lifters is a no brainer. It's a little more expensive but worth it. Pros....no worry of wiping cam lobes out, Less friction...more power and less heat produced, can run a fast opening and closing lobe. Cons.....more cost initially. Go with a DLS grind they make the most power ...proven time and again.

Dls engine development Dan Strezo runs the place give him a call and he will set you up with a good grind.

But in the big picture if your just doing a timing chain then leave the stock cam in. It's a great cam and makes good power.

I didn't go roller and now all I can think is, why didn't I go roller when I had the chance. ;)

It took an extra 5 years to put my car back on the road because I refused to go flat tappet. I missed out on the last of the cheep gas and it was still worth it.

Please explain flat tappet...... ive heard this term before. I just don't know its meaning.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Flat tappet lifters on left, roller on right. Note the left most lifter, the part facing up is what rides on the cam. On the right hand lifters the roller rides on the cam. Both flat and roller types can be had in hydraulic or solid configuration.

Lifters.jpg

RemoveBeforeFlight

And you'll noticed on the far left lifter it has a hardened disk fused to the area where the lifter meets the camshaft......

...new lifters won't have that.

Understanding wife and deep pockets = roller cam lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Understanding wife" Never heard of such a thing..... Get rid of the wife and then you'll have the money for a roller cam. Wife + Grand National = unhappy marriage..... From what I hear. Go roller, you'll have better options.

I must be lucky because my woman understands that "car money is always car money". She loves the Grand National. Boost brings a smile to her face (and mine!).

I have mixed feeling about this topic people that have done this conversion swear by it.I have also read people that have had problems the conversion more so in the early stages If the money is there to do it right with the roller rockers and the whole deal I don't really see a big problem with it to me personally I've had 3 different flat tappet cams in 2 different motors and have not had a problem I only drive mine several thousand miles a year I just can't justify putting that kind of money into something i'm not having trouble with.But that's just me.

Roller cam and roller rockers here, the roller rockers seam to ease the broken rocker shaft syndrome....

Chuck

Back