You can type here any text you want

TOO much boost / Vacume lines into Wastegate ???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Soldier_GN

So...Im super new to TB/ GN's....

Thought i had a fule line issue....Turned out to be a ignition module problem...Only 4 cylinders were firing...Replaced the modual with a Bore Warner, but my tach wont read now...So im waiting on the AC Delco modual which is almost $250:mad:.

Now my boost is 18-25 LBS...spikes all over the place @ WOT...Blowing the vacume lines off all over the place....So i zip-tied them all....

While working on the vacume lines i noticed two lines that come from the turbo and wastegate...They meet into a Y and turn into one line that goes into a sensor, looks like....Right next to that line is a nipple that has nothing !!! Think its the boost controll.... Has 2 nipples but only one is connected...Im thinking im missing a line but dont see anyother lines to plug it into...

And my buddy said that the wastegate bosent move when the turbo spools up around 12-14 LBS...Im Lost !!!:confused:

And is there a way to manually turn down the boost ??? I have no scan tools...My GN is all stock except for Walbro fuel pume/ hot wire kit, fuel pressure reg. TT 93 chip, K&N air cone and misc bolt ons....

Trying to put pics up but dont have a photo bucket account....

your right its a boost controller. i has an open end like it should. i have a $20 boost controller from ebay and it works fine. if all stock i wouldnt turn the boost past 15-16 also u need a scan master one of the first thing before u mess with it

If ur wastegate is adjustable u can turn the end of the rod so that the rod becomes longer to lower boost...the shorter the rod is the more boost ull get

Cool...so the right one is supposed to be open ended....till you get a boost controll....gona try and work on the wastegate rod tomm...i think its adjustable...its stock so im not sure....

Dont got too much time to really work on her since im gettin on a plant to Afghanistan on the 25th....just wana get her right so my wife can drive her once a week to keep her fluids goin....

Been postin tryin to find a TR mechanic here in El Paso but no luck....
These cars kinda intimadate a bit...Too much goin on....Gona get a scanmaster when i get back next year, first thing i do.....

But why isnt my wastegate opening after 10 lbs of boost...my buddy said it wasnt opening at all....that cant be good....????!!!!! :confused: :confused:

That one vacuum port on the boost solinoid should always be open ....when u use a boost controller u bypass the boost solinoid all together... but I wouldn't suggest a controller untill ur running more boost then the stock actuator can control...

If its not opening at all then yes that isn't good ur causeing it to over boost which can cause catastrophic failure... it can be a problem with the actuater itself someone else may have other ideas as to wat can cause the wastegate to not open ...

gate stuck shut??
Take the actuator rod off, and see if the gate lever is free...

If its not opening at all then yes that isn't good ur causeing it to over boost which can cause catastrophic failure... it can be a problem with the actuater itself someone else may have other ideas as to wat can cause the wastegate to not open ...

Maybe the puck is seized?

How can your buddy see the wastegate rod at 12-14#? With your mods you shouldn't be able to build more than 3 or 4# of boost with the foot brake so unless he is riding under the hood when your going down the street I can't see how he is verifing this.

How can your buddy see the wastegate rod at 12-14#? With your mods you shouldn't be able to build more than 3 or 4# of boost with the foot brake so unless he is riding under the hood when your going down the street I can't see how he is verifing this.

I had the exact same question, he CANNOT tell if its opening above 10 lbs unless hes riding under your hood, I dont think Id take any more tech advice from him.

Do yourself a huge favour.Do a spring cleaning,buy essentials,scanmaster etc and a few others.Reading is your friend here.Now the last thing you do when new to TB is turn the boost up.People go in the wrong direction and then hate these cars:rolleyes:.Just food for thought.

Kevin

BTW welcome to the coolest cars out their;)

Do everyone in your family a favor...Buy them a Hondah Pilot, and park the GN til U get back from deployment. That will enhance the chances of the car being in 1 piece....

@ Mr. Chuck Leeper....
Ha Ha.....No the wife drives an Infiniti M45 and my everyday work car is a Crown Vic. The GN is supposed to be our weekend car....I just wanted her to drive the GN once a week to keep everything flowing...
@ SS/GN
Not sure a spring cleaning would be a great idea since im leaving in about 11 days...gona wait till i get back to do that....

You need to invest in a scanmaster at the very least. Other than that, as stated earlier, read, read and then read some more. There is so much to learn about these cars. Anyone can build a camaro with a sbc in it but not just anyone can build and tune a turbo regal...

@ Mr. Chuck Leeper....
Ha Ha.....No the wife drives an Infiniti M45 and my everyday work car is a Crown Vic. The GN is supposed to be our weekend car....I just wanted her to drive the GN once a week to keep everything flowing...
@ SS/GN
Not sure a spring cleaning would be a great idea since im leaving in about 11 days...gona wait till i get back to do that....

Please return safe,all your answers are here,just need a solid foundation:biggrin:.These cars are alot different as stated and yet very rewarding.:cool:Remember basics basics and they will reward you

Kevin

Back