Took the ol boys GN to the track

ttypewhite

There was a track rental last Friday that the Dodge guys were putting on. Told my Dad about it and said lets take Bart for some passes. Tried to get a baseline pass on the hwy just to make sure the air fuel was in the ball park. It was still a little fat which I was ok with but the voltage under load was terrible. I was seeing 11.5v at WOT and 13.6 cruising the day before. I tightened up the serpentine belt a little more, changed the plugs, added a new rotor and cap and loaded it on the trailer.

First pass

In car view

Turns out my voltage improved by tightening the belt which is a good thing (13.2v at WOT), but it made it rich as hell. I was 9.21 -9.45 air fuel all the way down. Sixty foot was off, I got a 1.443 on that pass and went 119mph in the 8th. The heavy head wind didn't help much either. So I made some adjustments to the program and tried it again a hour later.

2nd pass

Hooked a bit better, got a 1.42 sixty foot, still off the pace and got the air fuel into the high 9's low 10's and ran 5.81@121mph in the 8th and the car shut off shortly after (no power, dead), and coasted to a 9.35@141mph. Looks like it was on course for a 9.05 pass at over 150+mph. Ended up being the fastest street car there out of all the heavily modified HellCats SRT's etc. It's really funny to see people use the term street car that really isn't. Guys had nothing but a race seat in place of the factory seat and no interior in it. All I did was put a slick on the car and leave the 225 street tires up front and add C16 to the tank. The amount of people that came over to the car afterwards was incredible. They were not expecting this clean, quiet GN to do all this with full interior.

What’s the combo? What is the launch rpm and boost? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the starting guy is wearing a hoodie or jacket you know it's good boost weather. Strong running car man. I love it when these unassuming little 6's take down the $90K Hellcats and Demons because they think they are the baddest thing on the street.

Thanks guys, I am pleased with the results considering it's no where close to being maximized, but not yet satisfied. This car is basically a stock GN with the engine and transmission removed along with the AC. Has no weight saving mods done to it. Steel bumpers, factory rear end with a Eaton carrier and Moser axles and still has the factory front swaybar in it and full factory interior. It's heavier now then it ever was leaving the factory in 87 with the addition of the StageII shortblock and forged internals, TH400 tranny and steel driveshaft, and RJC's front mount intercooler among others. I'm guessing with me in it we are close to 3,750 -3,800 pounds. Gonna see if we can't get this car back out with some changes to the program along with shock settings in the rear to get my sixty foots back in the 1.3's.

Mike,

I'm living my life vicariously through you!

I haven't had my car to the track to race it in years now. The times as shown in my signature were done with no prep at all after I just drove it in off the street after a 4 hour trip. Hell! I didn't even make the passes my self! And it's a real shame because of my hectic lifestyle, it looks like I'll never have the chance to maximize my cars potential. I just keep driving it whenever I can and I'll never know.

This didn't bother me much until recently. Now when I see you having all this fun and yelling with happiness it brings a tear to my eye.

Keep it up. I need this sort of thing from time to time.

Joey, you just gotta do it. Life is short brother. Fortunately for me... me and my Dad are as tight as butt cheeks. He was interested in seeing what it can do, and told me it's my car, do as you will as long as I put it back in my garage clean. Lucky for me all I had to do is just put back on his street tires in the rear and give it a lite detailing.

Joey, you just gotta do it. Life is short brother. Fortunately for me... me and my Dad are as tight as butt cheeks. He was interested in seeing what it can do, and told me it's my car, do as you will as long as I put it back in my garage clean. Lucky for me all I had to do is just put back on his street tires in the rear and give it a lite detailing.
I completely friggin agree. Seems like I spent tons of money and time to get my car ready to run, build it safe, watch this, watch that and now it's ready to go but I'm hesitating cause something might break. Preparing to take my car to Brian for that final perfect dyno tune to make it run even better, even "safer." Then it dawns on me. I'm just being a pussy. I'm making reasons not to go run it.
F that. If it breaks, it breaks. It'll get fixed. Go have fun. Once per year. Twice? Who cares. Let is loose. Go get that feeling, put that heck-yeah smile on your face and fill that sack back up with test!!! That's my view.

Ok, I'm done now. I'm pumped. I need to go race or hit my heavy bag or something. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Plus, I enjoy this hobby with my son. We've been wanting to go back for 2 years. I would really regret not spending this time with my son and ending up with a "cat's in the the cradle" moment some day.

There was a track rental last Friday that the Dodge guys were putting on. Told my Dad about it and said lets take Bart for some passes. Tried to get a baseline pass on the hwy just to make sure the air fuel was in the ball park. It was still a little fat which I was ok with but the voltage under load was terrible. I was seeing 11.5v at WOT and 13.6 cruising the day before. I tightened up the serpentine belt a little more, changed the plugs, added a new rotor and cap and loaded it on the trailer.

First pass

In car view

Turns out my voltage improved by tightening the belt which is a good thing (13.2v at WOT), but it made it rich as hell. I was 9.21 -9.45 air fuel all the way down. Sixty foot was off, I got a 1.443 on that pass and went 119mph in the 8th. The heavy head wind didn't help much either. So I made some adjustments to the program and tried it again a hour later.

2nd pass

Hooked a bit better, got a 1.42 sixty foot, still off the pace and got the air fuel into the high 9's low 10's and ran 5.81@121mph in the 8th and the car shut off shortly after (no power, dead), and coasted to a 9.35@141mph. Looks like it was on course for a 9.05 pass at over 150+mph. Ended up being the fastest street car there out of all the heavily modified HellCats SRT's etc. It's really funny to see people use the term street car that really isn't. Guys had nothing but a race seat in place of the factory seat and no interior in it. All I did was put a slick on the car and leave the 225 street tires up front and add C16 to the tank. The amount of people that came over to the car afterwards was incredible. They were not expecting this clean, quiet GN to do all this with full interior.
Love it. The in-car view is classic. Looks like you got launched off an aircraft carrier.

I completely friggin agree. Seems like I spent tons of money and time to get my car ready to run, build it safe, watch this, watch that and now it's ready to go but I'm hesitating cause something might break. Preparing to take my car to Brian for that final perfect dyno tune to make it run even better, even "safer." Then it dawns on me. I'm just being a pussy. I'm making reasons not to go run it.
F that. If it breaks, it breaks. It'll get fixed. Go have fun. Once per year. Twice? Who cares. Let is loose. Go get that feeling, put that heck-yeah smile on your face and fill that sack back up with test!!! That's my view.

Ok, I'm done now. I'm pumped. I need to go race or hit my heavy bag or something. Lol.

Years from now, one day I would hope to change things back to the way it was. But I'm afraid my life Is on a different path now.

But you guys who keep going, your the ones I appreciate watching. And I'll sit back for a while and cheer you on!

It's funny how well something can perform even with major issues. I figured out why the car died on my last pass (old 30 year old wiring with breaks under the factory loom), and stumbled on another major issue after seeing the passenger side head covered in soot. This crack in the header went 3/4's of the way around... So I took it off and glass beaded it, now it's off to get welded up. You can clearly hear it just before I staged the car. I rev'ed it a couple times before putting it in first gear.

IMG_20191015_2357368.jpg
IMG_20191015_2357405.jpg
IMG_20191015_2357556.jpg