Top 10 Future "COLLECTOR" cars

The early Chrysler letter series cars, specificdally the Chrysler C300, & Chrysler 300A through Chrysler 300L, even though the 300L had lost the charm & brute performance of early Chrysler 300 series letter cars, bring very decent bucks at the car auction circuits.

Zr1

Doc friend of mine sold his low mileage ZR1 to another Cardiologist paid 60K new sold it for 30k I can get it for 28, so ZR1's have along way to appreciate just to get back to original cost. Z06 is alot more car then a ZR1. Now the Doc who had the ZR1 now drives a Ferrari Modena Spider(203K). Another Doc a Interventional Radiologist drives a car that I think will be a Collector is a AMG Mercedes convertable hardtop it has 500 ponies. All 3 are impressed with my poor boy GN. The Ford GT should have been on that list.

Out here in Albuquerque everybody and their mother drives a 300 most have the typical large wheels and new grille within 3minutes you'll see one. If I was going to go that 300route look .Yes it would have one them marginal Blown Hemi's it would be a Magnum stationwagon. Watch MTV Cribs every athlete and rapper has a 300 in their car collection. Reminds me of a poor man's Cadillac,withblack 24"s and Lambo doors what a waste.

I agree with Gary. If one thing is keeping the Z/06 off of any serious collectors list its the fact that they made(or are making) them by the boatload. Than add in the fact that they are cheap and affordable and than a Chevrolet. There aint nothing rare or collectable to them any more. I bet if you add up all of the Z/06's made in the last 7 years that there has to be at least almost 30,000 of them built. Hey thats more cars than TR's that were built in 1987. At least the ZR1 was a limited production vehicle. I'm not sure if that was because the option was so damned expensive or because it wasn't a "proper" Corvette. If I was a gambling man I'd pick the ZR1 over a Z06 if only because that it was a anti-SBC Chevrolet.

Doc friend of mine sold his low mileage ZR1 to another Cardiologist paid 60K new sold it for 30k I can get it for 28, so ZR1's have along way to appreciate just to get back to original cost. QUOTE]

I have a 90 ZR1 Smoke Gray w/ -3,000 miles, very nice...cant get $30K for it. The value tanked hard, and the prob is new vettes are faster stock than it is, and now there are too many "better" vettes than this car. It beautiful, rare color but just isn't a Z06. The engine is Smooooooth and powerful, and still is a blast to drive.

The shame of that list, is the reality of "commectable cars" not being something there are a HUGE abundance of to begin with. There is now way the XB, 300, Mini Cooper or even the TT will truly be wide scale collectable. There is no mystique to these cars, they are fad cars (XB especially) and 2 are remakes of older ideas (300 and mini) and the TT even in 225 hp trim , is fun yet over priced. None of those four are WOW cars like the Viper, and even it may be too long of production and generations.

I dunno... how many millions of Mustangs were made in the 60's? Yet they are collectible. Camaros and such too. I remember when 2nd gen Camaros were like belly buttons, but you don't hardly see them anymore, and the ones I do see have been fixed up. When 98% of the Scions ever made have been scrapped, are todays teens/future doctors going to be spending big money on the few that are left, so they can recapture a little of their youth? Maybe so.

John

I agree, but I dont think there is a connection with youth, to modern cars as old cars when they were new. They are just to hard to learn about, unless you got someone you know directly who knows them. FWD killed it too, the days of taking a crappy v6 and dropping in a v8 are pretty much done. I know thats kinda of off topic, but im just using that as a example as there is less of a connection to car, if you cant play with it as much, youll never create a connection.

Plus all the guys that i know are into cars, all like older cars. Maybe because they are just cheaper, or that all the cool kids drive older cars. Any joe blow can go buy a new car. I guess you get more respect, if you can build your own badass car.

WOW! I dont believe they put the Smart car on there. We just got a few of those in the dealership like a month ago for poeple to test drive and pre-order. Those things do have a lot of room inside them but are a trip to drive.

80's collector cars...

If I was hording cars for collectible status (with my imaginary fortune) I'd go with these for starters ...

* GNX

* WE4

* Any year comp-prep SVO Mustang - 86 total (I think that's the right number)

* '85 1/2 SVO Mustang - 439 made

Moving on to the 90's I'd get ...

Marlboro edition Syclone, a Typhoon, Chevy 454SS, '93 Lightning, '93 Cobra R
and on and on.

Heres the real top 10 collectors car list
1 GNX
2 WE4
3 Turbo T limiteds
4 86 Grand national
5 87 Grand national
6 86 T-type
7 87 Turbo-T
8 86 WH1
9 84 Grand National
10 82 Grand National
Or any order you want as long as the GNX is #1

as for buicks my list would go like this

1-8? V8 T-type
then the rest of the list.

to me a collectable car consists of a few things but my 2 most important are
1-production #'s
2-todays availability

i know i am alone on the V8 T-type stuff

but if i was rich i mean a few Millions collecting dust in the bank.
my collection would be about showing off to my other rich friends "look at what i have (even you having a ton of money can't get) and you don't"

Flame ON
David

I agree, but I dont think there is a connection with youth, to modern cars as old cars when they were new. They are just to hard to learn about, unless you got someone you know directly who knows them. FWD killed it too, the days of taking a crappy v6 and dropping in a v8 are pretty much done. I know thats kinda of off topic, but im just using that as a example as there is less of a connection to car, if you cant play with it as much, youll never create a connection.

Plus all the guys that i know are into cars, all like older cars. Maybe because they are just cheaper, or that all the cool kids drive older cars. Any joe blow can go buy a new car. I guess you get more respect, if you can build your own badass car.

This was me at age 10 at the Pomona Winter Nationals in 1987 :eek:

IMG_0431.jpg

This was my first car at 16yrs old. :)

IMG_0429.jpg

haha, I wasnt even born yet when that picture was taken.

Thats a very nice car to get once you turned 16. Hell I didnt get my first, until I was 18. I got my grandparents turbo lebaron. The thing about having cars growing up is that you either have to have the coolest/fastess or the one that was so bad its funny. I had the later, but I still miss it:frown:

haha, I wasnt even born yet when that picture was taken.

Thats a very nice car to get once you turned 16. Hell I didnt get my first, until I was 18. I got my grandparents turbo lebaron. The thing about having cars growing up is that you either have to have the coolest/fastess or the one that was so bad its funny. I had the later, but I still miss it:frown:

Thank's StlRegal

I just posted the pic's to show if you're born into it then you will always be a car guy "I think" :) . At 10yrs my Dad, and I went down to the local Buick dealer for a test drive in a 87 Turbo-T in 87. The salesmen was a complete Jacka$$. I'm 10 and he's racing up and down the local streets trying to impress my Dad. I was in the back seat scared to death w/ butterfly's because it was so damn fast! lol My dad passed on the deal after he almost killed the salesmen for endangering both of our lives. I fell in love with that car after that fiasco my Dad did also. LOL Then he bought a GN 2 months later. Had to have one!
On the 66 Chevy II SS I bought that on my own for $3,500. It had a 230 straight 6 and mint "divorce sale". ;) The SB I was building for it was stolen out of my storage unit by some drug addicts that where later caught with no signs of my $hit. I was 21yrs :mad: So I sold the car then bought my GN. ;)

Sorry for the hijack.

This was me at age 10 at the Pomona Winter Nationals in 1987 :eek:

IMG_0431.jpg

This was my first car at 16yrs old. :)

IMG_0429.jpg

66-67 Chevy2 SS L79s are on my favorit top 10 Collectable List. Had a 67(283 PG) and 65 SS. Would love to put a LC2 in one them 66-67's Chevy2's. That's an awesome car to have as your 1st driver. If it was an L79 ( the 1st Vette killer) you'd still have it. Would love to have a straight bodied 66-67 and do a Heart transplant.

66-67 Chevy2 SS L79s are on my favorit top 10 Collectable List. Had a 67(283 PG) and 65 SS. Would love to put a LC2 in one them 66-67's Chevy2's. That's an awesome car to have as your 1st driver. If it was an L79 ( the 1st Vette killer) you'd still have it. Would love to have a straight bodied 66-67 and do a Heart transplant.

I loved that car, I wish I still had it. :frown: I sold it to the Nova guru Rudy of Modern Performance Classics. I'll own another one someday and I'll build a Twin Turbo SB for it. ;)

If it was an L79 ( the 1st Vette killer) you'd still have it.

That sounds like something a Hemi owner would say. I guess you guys never drove an L88 Vette. Heck even a L71 Tri-Power would send you guys running for cover. Moot point anyway. 1st gen Chevy2s have the structural integrity of a wet noodle. If it was 1965 and I was poor my first pick would have been a Z/16. Maybe even one of the last 409 Impalas. I'm sorry guys but you young pups have been reading to many myths about that car. Torque rules!

Whenever I hear a L79 Nova story it reminds me of those really old farts who claim a 1958 Impala with the 348 TriPower could do 150MPH with out trying hard.:rolleyes:

That sounds like something a Hemi owner would say. I guess you guys never drove an L88 Vette. Heck even a L71 Tri-Power would send you guys running for cover. Moot point anyway. 1st gen Chevy2s have the structural integrity of a wet noodle. If it was 1965 and I was poor my first pick would have been a Z/16. Maybe even one of the last 409 Impalas. I'm sorry guys but you young pups have been reading to many myths about that car. Torque rules!

Whenever I hear a L79 Nova story it reminds me of those really old farts who claim a 1958 Impala with the 348 TriPower could do 150MPH with out trying hard.:rolleyes:

These are my Favorites

62 Chevy 409 bubble top
41 Willies W/ Blown Rat
65 Dodge Coronet w/ wedge

Hijacked

I mentioned the little 327 L79 66-67 Chevy2 because it had over 1hp per C.I. no myth. I should have said it was the poorman's sleeper not Vette killer. It was more in reach pricewise then a 67 L88 Sting Ray. You're right those were Bad and the show on the Last Sting Ray was really interesting man they did an immaculate job restoring that car, couldn't believe when they dropped the numbers matching block.

My bias was from having fun restoring 2 of those lil' Chey2's. Always liked the little Shoeboxes and you are correct that front end was a wet noodle. That's why there were aftermarket bolt on/retrofit chrome moly front ends and frame connectors that uni body would twist like wash cloth/rag. The L88 did rule over a L79 it was only 100 cubic inches bigger and almost 100 more HP .

Always liked the little underdog Mouse motors, Really liked the DZ302 a friend of mine had a tricked/modded out DZ is his 57 Belair set up like a Gasser straight axle up front ,ladder bars in the back. It put the Smack down a lot of bb's seen it stomp a 70 Torino 429 Cobra Jet, 69 Firebird 400. 70 454 Vette back to back. Now he could never beat the McClintocks 66 Chevelle SS 427 a car called Paranoia. What was funny another friend had a 64 CHEVY2 with a 327 three on the column and he'd get the jump out of the hole and those big blocks would just barely run him down on the top-end . The Guys would be embarassed when he would win .

Speaking of torque another friend had a 69 GTO/Goat 400 with Ram4 heads that was a beautifully fast ride. At the time in High School I had a yellow 57 Belair, interior was stripped out body was straight straight, powered by a Mouse 283 out of a early 60's Corvette, Borg Warner T10 had Sun Gauges remember them humongous Sun Tachs?. Wish I would have kept her. YOUNG AND STUPID (16 years old)who would ever thought Tri 5's would go up and appreciate so much sold it for a 1000 bucks in 72. Favorite ProStocker in the day was Grumpy's Toy (the Vega) Seen him run at the WinterNationals Tucson Az., also ran that day the old Funny Car Mongoose of Don Prudumme's would have been nice to see him run against his nemisis The Snake.. He lost to BlindFaith in the Finals. Those old style Funny Cars were cool be nice to find one in a barn/garage somewhere and restore it.

Speaking of Torque Guess that's 1 of the reasons I left my 1st Love changed from Chevy2's SBC's to the Buick LC2 for only 231 ci it's amazing how much turque that little motor can produce sure like the way they come out of the hole. If I had the money I'd definately transplant an LC2 into a Chevy2 . Nowadays I'd rather have a GN/GNX then a GSX or a 442 W-30 everyone has their own tastes. By the way your right again the Chevy 348 was a pile of Junk at least it lent some DNA to the 409. Now it would be nice to have a 61 Bubble top Impala 409, 4 speed. The Z16 Chevelle(396)that is a rare piece, did they make a few Convertables ?. Turbofish you would know this didn't GM make less Z16's then GNX's? I don't think a 348 in a Corvette Chassis would go 150mph going down hill, maybe in a 58 BelAir falling from space. 348 was a nice boat anchor.

Never have been a Hemi man or should say Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler guy even though I liked the Challenger in Vanishing Point. Turned out to be A Classic car movie 2Lane Blacktop was a goodone too. They actually used Camaros for the Bulldozer scene in Vanishing Point.. Wouldn't turn down a 69 Mr. Norm 440 Dart Swinger.

At 10yrs my Dad, and I went down to the local Buick dealer for a test drive in a 87 Turbo-T in 87. The salesmen was a complete Jacka$$. I'm 10 and he's racing up and down the local streets trying to impress my Dad. I was in the back seat scared to death w/ butterfly's because it was so damn fast! lol My dad passed on the deal after he almost killed the salesmen for endangering both of our lives. I fell in love with that car after that fiasco my Dad did also. LOL Then he bought a GN 2 months later. Had to have one!
That has to be the best and funniest story I've heard on someones first impression or dealings with a TR :D

As far as the post....when has any "foreign" car maker ever had a "collectable" or even a collectors edition car??? Maybe a 240Z is close or a VW Carmangiha but thats pushing it....