Top End Speed On The Street

Wow you guys got some balls to go at the MPH you are talking about. I hit about 115 MPH and it felt so light I didn't think I could steer it. I gotta say you guys have some guts:D

Like I wrote in the other thread... I've had my car up to 147 and it start feeling floaty in the front end. Since then, I've done several improvements/upgrades and I'm sure if I had the opportunity to do it again, the car would feel a lot better. I would like to see a way to keep so much air from under the car.. but since I'll never hit those speeds consistantly in the US, I won't bother.

Originally posted by gn85
I would like to see a way to keep so much air from under the car.. but since I'll never hit those speeds consistantly in the US, I won't bother.

Well, lowering the car and giving it a slight forward rake would be the place to start. Then it would be fairly easy to build a front air dam out of aluminum sheet. This is what a lot of guys do at top speed races like the Silver State Classic: just a strip of aluminum sheet riveted to the stock airdam or bodywork below the bumper, or attached with screws or Dzus fasteners. Kinda crude and ugly looking, but effective. Then you can make side skirts the same way. Then: headlight covers, partial grille cover, shave the mirrors and trim, etc. But like you say, most of us rarely have the chance to even try these speeds.

Can you say "Cannonball Run"? Is it true some people still do this race on the sly?

There are more than a few places you can max out the top speed of a car legally in the USA. Currently there are 5 open road races per year in Nevada, 2 in Utah, 2 in Texas and 1 in Nebraska. To run 140 max you just need a Hardtop, V or Z rated Tires and a 5 point harness. To run 165 max you need a 6 point roll bar, Z rated tires and Racing Clothing.

The West Coast Timing association has annual Speed Trials in California, Nevada and Utah and the East Coast Timing association has Speed trials in North Carolina 4-6 times per year.

A slightly modified T-R or TTA could actually become a National Record Holder in one of the Supercharged Production Classes at the East Coast Timing association course due to its "one mile drag race" style set-up. A new Cobra currently holds the record for this class and they are nearly as much a Brick as a T-R.

I'm gonna add my Cub's aspect to this. I have had one up to 25, yes 25 mph around our building here. Man was that the limit. Ha ha ha ,,,Mark

One night I was out tuning my old car (on any empty 7 mile long straight road) and kept my foot in the throttle until I saw enough knock to let off. When I hit the Scanmaster II recall function, it flashed to my surprise 164 MPH :eek: . To top it off, I was running 275/ 60 tires, so that's more like 170 MPH.

I don't know how accurate any of this was, but I passed a bicycle rider at that speed, and he was only in sight for a split second! All I saw was flash of the rider, and then he was gone...

Top Speed

In the Buick I'm not sure about 115 mph
In my old 96 trans am 130 mph

Fastest to date 165 mph(it still had more to go) on my 02 ZX9R I doubt I'll be topping that any time soon

Damn that's fast!! To me at least.:cool:

Originally posted by Devil Car

I don't know how accurate any of this was, but I passed a bicycle rider at that speed, and he was only in sight for a split second! All I saw was flash of the rider, and then he was gone...

Yah, because the split second after you passed him the turbulence your car had coming off of it probably knocked him on his a$$. :D

running a 5.0 mustang once when i was close to stock, i know i hit at least 135 because my friends 69 vette that was trying to keep up was doing 130 and was getting pulled like a freighttrain by both of us(i ended up about 3 cars ahead of the modded 5.0)

In the Buick I am not really sure.

In the Porsche I have been around 150 or so. It felt great at this speed and I had no problems controling it. :cool: Not bad for a little N/A 911. Took awhile to get up that fast.

I've been 165mph at 18psi. It didn't feel that bad considering the speed. Mine had good shocks and was lowered slightly more in the front. I've always had 245-50-16 on the front and 255-50-16s on the rear.

I've been 165mph at 18psi. It didn't feel that bad considering the speed. Mine had good shocks and was lowered slightly more in the front. I've always had 245-50-16 on the front and 255-50-16s on the rear.

I had my GN up to about 147mph on I75 at 4 am. I would normally not do this but I needed to test something so I took up 2 of the 3 lanes just to be safe. It was pulling hard and I knew it had a lot more in it but I wouldn't chance it again.

well obviously over 100 ... but unsure cause it stops at 85 :)

I think this is a dangerous topic ..... these cars really arnt the best for top speed. In a lowered latmodel camaro 130 is a-ok for me ..... not in these things

Re: Top Speed

Originally posted by tes87gn
In the Buick I'm not sure about 115 mph
In my old 96 trans am 130 mph

Fastest to date 165 mph(it still had more to go) on my 02 ZX9R I doubt I'll be topping that any time soon

Damn that's fast!! To me at least.:cool:

You'll still be behind my 954RR