You can type here any text you want

Torque converter help

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Your blowing through that converter, it was a common complaint of that vintage multidisc lock ups. The transmission governor is driven by the output shaft, which means the WOT shift points are based on the governor and the output shaft speed. More converter slip will raise the RPM of the shift points. If your TV cable is tight when the throttle is open all the way that's not a contributor. Also, using converter stall speed numbers is not going to get you anywhere. The turbo6 power characteristics requires specific converter characteristics which will be WOT coupling RPM, max boost brake stall rpm, and converter flash rpm. If you are on a budget then you will have to trade off something. I personally would prefer a tighter converter, if I had to compromise, to keep the rpms in check and in the meat of the power and sacrifice spool up, unless you are planning to drag race a lot then you have think about 60ft which means you will likely have a fair amount of slip unless you want to spend to get it all. Some numbers for the PTC below and it drives great for cruising. That combined with the Husek transmission is an awesome street/strip combo. Additionally, I can get 4400 rpm on the foot brake and over 20 lbs boost really quick, flashes to 4700 rpm when I let off the brake, and drops 2 to 300 rpm on the shifts. Shift rpms in table below.
tire dia
27.3​
27.3​
27.3​
shift/trap mph
30​
64​
119.75​
Rear ratio
3.42​
3.42​
3.42​
Gear Ratio
2.74​
1.57​
1​
Shift/trap Rpm
5120​
5040​
5400​
DS RPM
1263​
2695​
5043​
Input RPM
1869​
3210​
5400​
Slip %
32.4%​
16.0%​
6.6%​
Is this with a ptc? Definitely looking for something in the rpm range you listed here

It seems common knowledge in the Turbo Buick community that there is an adjustment of the TV cable to change shift points, etc. This is a myth. There is no adjustment of the TV cable that is acceptable to change shift points, etc. The only adjustment outlined in a GM manual is to return the cable to the factory specs outlined in the service manual.
This is a copy and past. only adjust the TV cable as GM outlines in the service manual. If needed I can copy and past that info if needed
Nigel has one sweet running Buick ,Not sure his converter will work with a TE62 but the point I think he is making is you need to get a converter that is correct for your setup.
Correct me please Nigel but the PTC was your second converter ? and it is what really helped you get flat 11s.
And remember a turbo change or engine component change down the road will effect the converter

It seems common knowledge in the Turbo Buick community that there is an adjustment of the TV cable to change shift points, etc. This is a myth. There is no adjustment of the TV cable that is acceptable to change shift points, etc. The only adjustment outlined in a GM manual is to return the cable to the factory specs outlined in the service manual.
This is a copy and past. only adjust the TV cable as GM outlines in the service manual. If needed I can copy and past that info if needed
Nigel has one sweet running Buick ,Not sure his converter will work with a TE62 but the point I think he is making is you need to get a converter that is correct for your setup.
Correct me please Nigel but the PTC was your second converter ? and it is what really helped you get flat 11s.
And remember a turbo change or engine component change down the road will effect the converter
If you count the stock converter it was number 4. It helped et a little, but the biggest improvement is you cannot push through the ptc. Shift points are consistent and 3 to 400 rpm lower and I trap 500 rpm lower for the same trap speed as the previous converter while getting a small gain in et. With the last converter at times the 1-2 shift was taking place at 5600 rpm and trapping at 5900 rpm.

Who did the transmission?
Shop down the road from me. They build tons of them to go behind big blocks and stuff. It’s lasted at well over 500tq at the tires for 3 years now. It rocks and has an unlimited mile warranty. Only thing they couldn’t get ahold of (built during Covid) was a billet input shaft. Shifts HARD and doesn’t flare at all.

PTC has always been on the money with their converters. I like being able to fill out the spec sheet on their site and a gentleman with the amount of data that you have will appreciate it as well.

A 9.5 inch lock up will well for you.

Back