You can type here any text you want

Torsen T2R torque Sensing Differential...Where to Find One?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hot Air

E85 and S.E./Carolinas Moderator
Staff member
Anyone know where I can find one? Is there anything that works as well for autocrossing?
Conrad

Thorsen diffs are a little different and have been used for OE before because they don't burn out, but they still don't work the same as a posi. Get a good Eaton unit and you'll be happier Conrad.;)

try wikipedoa

theres a whole list....audi, nissan etc and it says 99-02 camaro /firebird
but you wont find it for an 8.5"

X2 for the Eaton unit! I personally know quite a few people who have already ran the Torsen units in their cars and they wasted them, they then went with the True-Trac and after years of autocross use they are still going strong without any problems!

There are MANY products out there that offer options but the guys out there pounding on their cars on Road-courses & Autocross seem to weed out real quick what works and what doesn't. ;)

I suspect they are good for street but I wouldn't recommend taking one to the strip and launch off a transbrake with real sticky slicks.
Conrad

I understand Summit has best price for the Eaton (Detroit Locker) TrueTrac. They have one for 30 spline axles (aftermarket). Stock axles are 28 spline.
Conrad

I suspect they are good for street but I wouldn't recommend taking one to the strip and launch off a transbrake with real sticky slicks.
Conrad
When I talked to the Eaton rep at their booth at power tour, he was confident the trutrac would do anything the clutch type would do, except wear out clutches. The only downside according to him was the additional cost.
Is there a reason you don't think it would work at the strip?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I talked to rep for T2-R several years ago about their unit and when told that my GN might well see some dragstrip use, he told me the T2-R was not a good application. I did not ask him why...should have. I would go with the recommendation of the Eaton rep now.
Conrad

Latest issue of Popular Hot Rodding has write up on their Muscle Car of The Year (MCOTY) contest. 12 cars showed up. 7 had Truetrac, 2 had Wavetrac, and 3 didn't tell what they were running. The Wave
Trac is a newer design that supposedly solves some of the problems of older units. Not sure who manufactures it but available from Moser and The Driveshaft Shop in Salisbury, NC (my back yard). Supposedly the WaveTrac is available for GM 8.5" but have not confirmed this yet. WaveTrac runs $1,100 and TruTrac is around $450 so price differential is significant. Not sure if it is worth it...time will tell.
www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Automotive/Differentials/PCT_317264
www.wavetrac.net
"Patented design to Improve grip in low traction conditions."

Conrad

I talked to rep for T2-R several years ago about their unit and when told that my GN might well see some dragstrip use, he told me the T2-R was not a good application. I did not ask him why...should have. I would go with the recommendation of the Eaton rep now.
Conrad

The reason is that Torsen type differential can go peg-leg under low traction conditions. This usually happens in the water box. Also, under high loads the power transfer can shift from one axle to the other and back. I have a Torsen in one of my street cars, but still prefer the clutch type posi differential to it.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Back