You can type here any text you want

TPS I think.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bossman

Had a real nice day here yesterday so I opened the hood of the Beast. There's a "thingy" at the front, drivers side of the carb that is silver and has a single wire coming out of it. Two things, what is it and where the heck does the wire go since I can't find anywhere it might plug in? Could this be affecting my idle since it tends to be high all the time? Thanx.

Sounds like the fast idle solenoid. It kicks up the idle when the air conditioning is on. There should be a one wire connector laying on that side of the engine. Follow the wires for the oil pressure and temp gauges back to the left rear and see if anyone has cut it off. Your high idle might be related to the idle speed control motor(black plastic housing with a 4? wire connector. The best way to learn about how these carbs work is to get the factory GM shop manual. I wouldn't recommend working on it yourself but it offers insight on what you need to know to get these cars to run right. You might call Helm Inc(1-800-782-4356) and see if one is still available. Eric Fisher

Thanx. Well, it's not related to the air 'cause I don't have any. I will check out the other possibilities.

Originally posted by bossman
Thanx. Well, it's not related to the air 'cause I don't have any. I will check out the other possibilities.
The carb may have come off a car that had air. Doug Roe's book on Q-Jets is a great book on this carbs aswell...

Jim

Back