tps problem

85 ttypewh1

fire fighter
Just bought a 85 t-type wh1 recently, I have learned alot from you guys so mi hope you can help me. I tried to adjust my tps but it wouldnt go above 3.6 @wot, autozone wants 130 dollars for a new one so i aquired 7 of them from a junk yard. It was hard to find the right ones that would rotate the right way but i finally found that the newer cadillac v8 fwd cars did. Well heres my problem no matter which one i plug in they all read around 1.6 @ idle even if i take the tps off the tb. They all will read 4.5 plus @ wot. Are they just calibrated differently or is there something else wrong with my car. Hope you can help, Thanks.

Originally posted by 85 ttypewh1
Just bought a 85 t-type wh1 recently, I have learned alot from you guys so mi hope you can help me. I tried to adjust my tps but it wouldnt go above 3.6 @wot, autozone wants 130 dollars for a new one so i aquired 7 of them from a junk yard. It was hard to find the right ones that would rotate the right way but i finally found that the newer cadillac v8 fwd cars did. Well heres my problem no matter which one i plug in they all read around 1.6 @ idle even if i take the tps off the tb. They all will read 4.5 plus @ wot. Are they just calibrated differently or is there something else wrong with my car. Hope you can help, Thanks.

130????
Gm only wanted $65 a couple months ago.

3.8 should be fine. Does the DS or you scanner read TPS as a %?. So long as it reads 100% your OK.

Another thing to look for is that the butterfly is opening fully.

Hmm, maybe Caddies have the A and C wires reversed. Just because they look the same is no guarantee the internals are correct.

was the 65 for a 86,87 because when i tell the parts people its an 85 they double the price. 3.8 is ok with dvm but the ac wont cut out at that i dont think. but the idle voltage is still 1.6 even if i take it off the t/b and let it retract all the way.

dont spend your cash on that. thats a flippin rip off.

I have an 85 Gn and just replaced mine
its costed me 35 dollars.

go to
www.summitracing.com
and do a search of HLY-543-29
its a Holley Tps sensor.

It works perfectly and alot of guys with 85s use them

do a search of HLY-543-29 on this board and you can see for yourself

GNTTYPE.org used to have the procedures on TPS adjusment with voltage readings. This page is no longer available. I was able to find some readings in a Haynes maintenance book for the Turbo Regal. It states that the TPS voltage at closed throttle (idle) should be 0.5 to 1.5 volts and increase smoothly to approximately 4.5 volts at WOT. I believe that gnttype.org listed the WOT voltage at 4.56. Hope this helps.

yeah i saw that too in the haynes manual but everybody else says to get it as close to .3-.46. i dont know i'm going to look into that holley tps. thanks for your replies.:confused:

dont know what year, 90-99, fwd, v8, black valve covers. after i finally found a tps that rotated the right way i just concentrated on getting them.

Sounds like a Northstar TPS, I think. I'm fairly certain that the Northstar started in like 93 though.