You can type here any text you want

TR-6 vs. Nos coil pack & module

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

deezdad

Which would you run for a 11.5ish street car, te44/alky? Why?

Most of our e-85 cars will only run to their potential, 10's-11's, with the TR-6.

My street car would not run over 10-12 psi with the stock ignition, but will go well over 20 psi with the TR-6.

I tried a bunch of coils and modules including one NOS coil but to no avail?

With your TE-44 vs. my TE-46A, a NOS module may work ok?

My son's e-85 car does ok on the street with a TE-44 and stock ignition, but has not yet been to the track with it.

I run alky/93 no issue with all stock stuff. Good wires and good grounds!

Tr6 is expensive but worth it, stock stuff was fine back in the day. Another option is Dynamic EFI's ignition that uses the stock module and an interface to drive the truck coil pack. I am leaning towards this setup on my other 2 buicks.

I installed the TR6 on my Street TB and one on my Street & Strip TB , I was having numerous boost issue , breaking up at boost and just quitting all of a sudden , fouling plugs and trying to find a good stock coil and module that worked to my standards was few and far between and costly , kindly like winning the Lottery , it sounds like a lot of money up front for the initial set up but believe me it will be cheaper in the long and less headaches and issues , plus my car is so much more throttle responsive that the stock set up , you can open the plug gap up and get leaner burn also . I now do not worry about surprise problems that may show up with my ignition now , plus it has a diagnostics built in that is far superior than any stock system can do , plus I can concentrate on other things like driving and having a good time driving my TB`s instead of letting it sit in the car port .

I do not work for Bob Bailey but his products and support for the TB community has keep a lot of TB family alive and happy .

Last edited:
The TR6 is a beautiful piece for sure! But if he's not having issues with the stock stuff, there's no reason to replace it. KISS is my motto lol. When my stock stuff does die, you will see me looking for a tr6!

FWIW I use the type 2 ignition module and coil packs off of a 3800 series 2 with the combo in my sig. I run 25 psi and up with zero issues. Spares upon spares due to the abundance at the junk yards but haven't had to change a coil or module in the 4 years I've run this setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which would you run for a 11.5ish street car, te44/alky? Why?
stock stuff works great.i have seen stock down to 11,10,9,8 sec buicks on the stock ignition setup and on a lot of different fuels.

Coils are readily available but the nos modules are rare and nearly cost the same as the TR6. The new modules out there are not built to the original specs. Can't run an aftermarket rpm gauge with them either. Run it till it fails then go TR6. You can then leave that worry off the list.

Coils are readily available but the nos modules are rare and nearly cost the same as the TR6. The new modules out there are not built to the original specs. Can't run an aftermarket rpm gauge with them either. Run it till it fails then go TR6. You can then leave that worry off the list.

I found that out the hard way when my tach stopped working and couldn't find out why.

I thought the tach just quit, until I put a different one on and the tach started working again.

Last edited:
if your original is working fine then keep using it. But if you need a new ignition then the TR6 is a helluva good upgrade with some really cool features. Calibratable rev limiter, calibratable 2 step, cam sensor timing adjustment feature, base timing check feature.

I don't think there is any strange quirk,that many come across,that effects all. For every don't do,their are many who do. I can't think of a more fickle group of cars than the turbo Buicks. In my case,I ran 28 lbs of boost,24 degrees of advance,and R43ts plugs at .035" gap on E85 with a 6776. You could feel the flame blow out a little at the top of third sometimes,but no big event. I have the original ignition module and a spare bought back in the early 90s and the engine ran the same with both. That being said,I was part of the first group to purchase the TR6 when it was first offered. I didn't instal it before taking the engine out,but will be installing it in the next few weeks as I finish the installation of my fresh 273" 4.1 factory blocked engine. Extra spark energy is priceless.
How many have made changes that they put off only to realize later that the benefits of the new change made them aware of a weakness that they didn't realize they had prior to the change?
Extra spark energy is priceless. If you don't think so,you have a naturally aspirated engine.

Back