You can type here any text you want

TR6 ignition module help needed, code 18 and some other fun trouble stuff

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Toby_Goodmk

Test Fit officianto
I have a tr6 and it keeps giving me a code 18 (coil power missing). I have checked voltage at connector M to verify 12v. I have checked my 25A fuse, and it is good as well. Car is running very low on o2 readings which may or may not be related. I do not appear to have any vacuum leaks. I cannot keep the engine running long enough to set IAC to insure a decent idle and continue checking for a vacuum leak. The 5th time I started the car and the ecm threw a trouble code 42 for ignition spark/coil.??? In cam phasing mode the instructions claim you can check phasing which I have a green light inside the tr6. If I turn the cam sensor just a bit left or right the RPM gauge is not increasing or decreasing as the instructions state the rpm gauge would. At one point I had a green light on the crank sensor, and the cam sensor, however now I just have a green light on the cam sensor.

Im a scratching my head. Need some pointers. It seems I have stumped myself

the 84/85 cars have a resistance wire in the harness that typically gets bypassed when converting to the 86/87 style ignition. As far as I remember the plug-adapter does not do this bypass. This is likely the source of the code.

the phasing mode works only when the engine is running. when the engine is not running the tach display is frozen at the "proper" reading for reference.

Let me know about the resistance wire bypass / hotwire and we can go from there.

Bob

Thanks for the response Bob

I did find a vacuum leak at the TB on a bolt that was bottoming out not allowing full torque, so I now have an idle that is consistent enough to set IAC so that issue is eliminated.

Noted on the cam phasing.

As for the resistance wire, ok....understood. I use a conversion adapter from GBP that does not have the hot wire option. I'm still currently throwing the code 18, as well as the 42 out of the ses/ecm

Let me know how to fix the resistance wire issue to see if this solves the code.

the 84/85 cars have a resistance wire in the harness that typically gets bypassed when converting to the 86/87 style ignition. As far as I remember the plug-adapter does not do this bypass. This is likely the source of the code.

the phasing mode works only when the engine is running. when the engine is not running the tach display is frozen at the "proper" reading for reference.

Let me know about the resistance wire bypass / hotwire and we can go from there.

Bob

Bob

The code went away with the caspers hot wire. Will you amend your instructions for us 84 hot air guys? Also your power logger instructions show a 5V connection at the analog block, which apparently is no longer there. Big deal no, but when you wire everything into the car with loom, heat shrink, etc....to find you need to source 5v somewhere else.....little frustrating.

Back