Track results, time to switch to 28" tire?

ah HAH lol hehe!

a....a.....a..... Lee, they're up to something hehe!!! might have to pull out the medium sized guns for this one!:D :D :D
SSSSH you're giving away all your future mod "secrets!!! hehe

bigger tire(go to 28") GM didnt exactly engineer these things to go 11s on the stock suspension (though many have done it), going from 26-28" and leaving harder will get you outta the hole...

Your inconsistencies in the above passes are due to changing conditions, intercooler heat soak, coolant temps, MAT, tire temp vs press vs diameter...etc those things...

get in touch with me I'll loan you a 15 row stretch, crank up F/P few psi and go 11s...

<K>:cool: :cool: :cool:

I bought the 9.0" ones, 10.5's.

I have 8" rims and 3 3/4" backspacing with airbags.

I didn't want any hassles with anything hitting. I have seen other cars use the larger ones however but don't know the proper wheel combo and if the wheelwells were rolled.

I figured the 9's would still hook better than the Nittos.

Haven't got a chance to test them yet. :(

Keith,
Doesn't matter...I'm going to be changing everything very soon. ;)
I just want mid-11's with this little turbo and stock IC. :D
S.

Originally posted by salvageV6
I bought the 9.0" ones, 10.5's.

I have 8" rims and 3 3/4" backspacing with airbags.

I didn't want any hassles with anything hitting. I have seen other cars use the larger ones however but don't know the proper wheel combo and if the wheelwells were rolled.

I figured the 9's would still hook better than the Nittos.

Haven't got a chance to test them yet. :(

Thanks, that's what I just ordered from Jeg's. The 11.5 has a 10" tread but an 11.2 section width. My BFG DR 275/60s have an 8.8 tread and an 11.1 section width and they rub farily often. The 27" QTP isn't as tall as the 275/60, but I think it would still rub given where the DRs are rubbing. So I got the 10.5 with a 10.1" section width. Like you said, they probably will hook better than the radials and they're a bit wider.

It's interesting to note that despite being "DOT" tires, Hoosier absolutely prohibits use of them on the street. They say the they meet the DOT's specifications for "marking and performance" but are not street tires.

Jim

Yeah I read that too.

I think you can't go over 55mph with them safely and for a long period of time.

Around town you could probably go slow and drive to a cruise night with them if you wanted to.

I just wanted the DOT rating in case I ran well with them. ;)

Originally posted by salvageV6
Yeah I read that too.

I think you can't go over 55mph with them safely and for a long period of time.

Around town you could probably go slow and drive to a cruise night with them if you wanted to.

I just wanted the DOT rating in case I ran well with them. ;)

Same here - "pump gas, street tires".

I don't do any highway driving anyway. If I put 2,000 miles a year on the car it's a lot and it's all around town and to-from the track.

It's funny that while they say you absolutely, positively should not drive on the street with them, another section of the site recommends tubes in the QTPs for street use.

Jim

I skipped the tubes too. ;)

Oh well bought a portable impact wrench so at the track the changeover will be easy.

Guess I need matching rims with Nittos on them for the cruise nights. :D

Keep me posted if you go racing with yours, who knows when mine will get used.... :rolleyes:

My dads car has a similar combo and it went a 11.86@114 on a 1.78 60 on a 235 BFG. I put a 26x10 ET Drag on last night and went a 7.48 1/8 on a 1.57 60 and lifted past the 1,000 ft and still went 11.90@105. If I was you I would try this tire but this car has a stock cam and lock up if your car has a stock cam it probably wont work without lockup.

Hi all, I just got back from the track saturday tying out my new hoosier QTPs (27x10.5). I really like them alot. I set a new best 60' time of 1.58. I also drove to and from the track with the tires with about 35 min's of interstate driving at 70mph. No problem at all.

Originally posted by 3.8vsix
Hi all, I just got back from the track saturday tying out my new hoosier QTPs (27x10.5). I really like them alot. I set a new best 60' time of 1.58. I also drove to and from the track with the tires with about 35 min's of interstate driving at 70mph. No problem at all.

Thanks for the info - congrats on the 60' time. I can't wait to get my QTPs! I really couldn't get anything out of the BFGs 60'-wise.

Jim

I think I'm going to go with a 28" ET Street. With the changes I have planned over the next few months, I'm definitely going to need much more tire and I might outgrow the 27" QTP's pretty quickly.
I think there might be a combo of several things...KR on launch, running out of gear, etc. that keep 115mph and a 1.7 short time from giving me an 11 second slip. :(
S.

Sorry to continue to hijack this thread, but.....

Got my Quicktime Pros mounted up yesterday. After wrestling in my mind with the size I called up Jeg's and switched them to the 11.5s instead of the 10.5s. The rationale was this: the 275/60 DRs rub when the car is weighed down and I don't have air in the bags. They are essentially the same section width as the 11.5" Hoosiers and are 1" taller. The 11.5 Hoosier is 1.2" wider than the 275 DR, too. I hoped the 1" shorter 27" Hoosier would work better. I *think* I'm right. It's tough to tell from the pics because of the angles and shadows ( http://www.turbojimmy.com/tires.html ) but I have more clearance with the Hoosiers where it matters. I could do without the sloppy white-sprayed "Hoosier" on the tire, but what can you do?

At what MPH would I outgrow a 27" tire (he asks AFTER he buys them)?

Jim

jimmy,
You can clean the lettering off with some paint thinner, must like with MT's. They do look good. How about a pic of the whole car to see how it sits with the bigger tire?:D
I think I'm going with the 28/11.5's. I'm going to need the bigger tire very soon anyway, might as well get them now.
Sean.

Originally posted by Snorman
jimmy,
You can clean the lettering off with some paint thinner, must like with MT's. They do look good. How about a pic of the whole car to see how it sits with the bigger tire?:D
I think I'm going with the 28/11.5's. I'm going to need the bigger tire very soon anyway, might as well get them now.
Sean.

Thanks for the info. I'll try cleaning them off once the weather gets warm. In the meantime the bright white "Hoosier" is growing on me. Looks mean.....I'll have to snap pics of the whole car if the weather holds up tomorrow. They're actually 1" shorter than the BFGs I replaced. Went out beating on the car tonight and those tires are REALLY sticky. In this weather they spin a lot from a dead stop but once they're warm fuggehdbaboutit. They'll spin-n-spin-n-spin-n-spin and all of the sudden it's swallow your tongue time. I dig 'em.

Jim

damn sean nice times you should Def. be in the 11's. me or nick would let you borrow our 28's if you wold like to try them out real quick. i went to E-town right before they closed and went 12.1 at 110 on 15psi of boost 94 octane and a 5psi launch helping me to a 1.67 60' so i know your in the 11's with the tires i bet. let me know if you need to borrow mine. i know i felt a Difference when i switched over to them last year.

Re: How Much from Jegs?

Originally posted by Cool87GN
Jim, did you get a deal? They look NICE!

Thanks! They were $174 each. Quite a bit more than radials but also stupid sticky. I like them a lot.

Jim

TOP END POWER

Originally posted by Snorman
100% bone stock suspension.
There's no way I could launch at 11psi. The brakes would hold, but I'd probably get 10 feet out and destroy the tires. That happened last night when I tried much over 5psi.
Even then...a 1.70 short time isn't that bad. With 114mph, I can't figure out why I don't have an 11-second slip in my pocket. Especially considering I've gone 12.0's with 111mph on a similar short time.
S.
:cool: Your car is picking up the top end right before the trap, this is why your not getting the extra ET. Your 60 ft must improve with this kind of power to get 11's. Look at your 1/8 mile time and MPH is clearly shows your power advantage of the big end and tghe very end of the track which will not help much with ET, but only get you MPH. Your time is made or broken at the starting line and the first 60 or so ft, thats it:rolleyes: :). Improve this and you will have the 11's all day long. First off you dont want a more powerfull combo until you have extracted all the can be extracted from your current setup:cool:

Tires??

If the car leaves well, then blows the tires off, it's NOT the tires fault. The suspension needs work. Adding more HP and bigger tires, and not addressing the suspension, will only put you in a deeper hole....:(

Here's the times for your MPH, as calculated from thousands of National event runs at NHRA.

114mph/11.56, 660'/7.38, 330'/4.69, 60'/1.56.
As you can see, the short time,[as has been pointed out in these replies], is waay off.
IMO, spend the bucks on the suspension, getting it right, before new tires, heads, turbo, etc....
First thing I'd do is adda HR bar and ditch the air bags.. You may be hitting the tires hard enuf to make the bags "basketball dribble" the rear axle, thus unloading the tires after the hit..

11's are just a suspension tuneup away!!!!:D :D