Track Times

i may be wrong with the timing. i'll look at the chip specs tomorrow and let you know for sure where its at

Get a scanmaster.

Until then, your flying blind. Flirt with disaster long enough.. it will find you. Always does.

The boost numbers your running on the octane you say, coupled with the IC the car has.. its pinging.. tho you may not hear it.

Doesnt take much to torch a head gasket. Especially with an aftermarket gasket. And hope its just a HG, not a rod.

Get a scanmaster.

I repeat myself a lot. :D

that's definitely next on my list. but before then, i'm going to atco this weekend and am probably going to end up running 104 or 110 race gas and see what i can make of it. im also going to try and play with the airbags and shoot for the best. i'll let you guys know how things went and if it went kapoom lol

If I crank up the boost or timing, I always use C16, why not? Good insurance to keep motor together. I even add methanol to further raise octane, and lower intake temps. Always start off rich, and with plenty of octane. If you are seeing no knock, and a rich condition, just crank up the boost, or cut back on fuel, but not both! I run 30psi on a stock motor. It will last a long time the way I tune it. A little rich, not to aggressive timing, and plenty of octane! Tire pressure is important to get rid of wheel hop. Listen to the pros! Too much/too little is going to make for bad results. What knock guage are you using? Have a friend tap on block lightly while motor is running (with a small hammer or tool) and look for knock. See anything? Further tuning will most likely get you deep into the 12s. Make notes of all changes and results! Gas, boost, chip, timing, weather, tire pressure, launch method (#s of boost),etc.

just got back from atco like i said and made the first pass, exactly the way the car was when i left island where i went a 13.3. Well, i had a crappy 60' of about 1.96 and went a 13.2 at 104. Afterwards, i decided to throw some c11 into the mix and now have a 60 40 mis of 93 to c11. The second run, i still had a crappy 60' of 1.95, but went a 12.7 at 106. Things are starting to get better but i still have to work on the sixty foots. Last run of the day, i evened out the mix to about 50/50 and decided to run about 21 pounds. Things were going okay till the top of second gear where the trans decided to wait a little while before it dropped into third, and left the car screaming for a few moments. I jumped off the gas then got back on to a 12.85 at 107.5. Would have been much better if i didnt have to get off the gas.

time to check your knock monitor
adding octane to a proper tune on 93 with no other changes would usually slow you down, if you added octane and went faster than you must have had serious knock retard on just the 93 ,dont be concerned about the 60 or your et watch your trap speed for signs that you are going in the right direction

the increase in octane will make you go faster if you add fuel and boost to take advantage of it (which you did to a point ), but once you reach the limit of that and get knock your speeds will fall back , then either lower boost back or add more fuel and you need to monitor your 02 or beter yet exhaust temp to keep it from leaning out

13.3 to 12.7 with a little race full.... Excellent improvement...Just think what you'll do with 100% race fuel and the boost cranked up. Your getting there, I just hope that transmission holds out. Keep tuning and good Luck.

it's funny you say that about the trans brcause the last run, it definitely soudned like it was ready to go. We're gonna take it out and check it out. Also, i was wondering where you guys hooked up the EGT. I have the computech system egt but i drill into the downpipe or the right side exhaust. The downpipe would be much easier but is that wrong?

When you start hitting the mid 12's is about when the stock tranny seems to start giving up and slipping if you've never been into it before, clutch bands are too small to handle that much power for very long.
On the EGT, when I was looking to get one I was told the uppipe just before the turbo because the temps will drop a bunch when going thru the turbo, so you'll have to either weld in another bung in the PS header, or relocate the O2 to the DP and use the stock location O2 bung for EGT. If you put the O2 in the DP though, you'll have to use a heated O2, the stocker doesn't get hot fast enough there and throws a ECM code.

Hey Mike.... I can see the road your heading on now talking about installing an egt gauge. Do yourself a favor and give Red Armstrong a call before you throw anymore parts at that thing. He will be able to explain tuning these things in a no BS manner, and tell you what you need and what you don't. The two best tuning tools out there at your level are Direct scan and a boost gauge. Everything else is a distant 2nd. Good Luck.;)

the plan is to get the lap top in and be able to see whats going on. What do you think is the best system to put in the car to work with the lap top. Also, i was planning on running stock eliminator with it in the next year and run d/fia and e/fia.

For use at the track, Direct Scan is the favorite due to the frame rate of 18 frames/sec. Turbo Link is limited to about 1 frame every 1.5 secs because it connects thru the ALDL connector. DS connects directly to the ECM board. In a drag race, alot can happen in 1.5 seconds that you will not see. But, DS does not record your Boost level so you must watch your boost gauge closely. TL does have a boost sensing option that connects thru the use of the MAT sensor. But the speed in logging far out weighs the boost sensing IMO.

DO NOT race the car agin with out a GOOD scan tool and someone there who can help you with the tuning.....:D

also who bulit your motor?

my father and i build all of our motors. we run stock eliminator in the nhra. we have the fastest stock eliminator car in the country might i add. sorry, just had to put that in there.

You could be running a little rich with that fuel pressure. Usually the fuel pressure is checked line off and should be in the mid to low 40's. A fuel pressure of 41 line on could be close to 50 line off.

To reach your goals, best bet would be a bigger intercooler. That will keep the temps lower and might get you a couple more pounds boost. Also, a power plate that goes under the plenum that helps reduce flow to the back cylinders and even out the airflow to all cylinders. Might get you another pound of boost. On 93 pump gas, you'd still be looking at moderate timing such as 20-21 degrees, but maybe could squeak out 19 lbs boost with little knock. These numbers may be off a little, but you get the idea. With the head work you'd be making good power and with a good launch high 11's wouldn't be impossible. For low 11's you'd need race gas, higher timing, and 25+ lbs boost.

i'm planning on running 100% c11, at the track. I'm just slowly trying to see what the motor is going to be able to handle. My last run, i saw 21-22 pounds max with the 50/50 mix. what kind of boost do you guys run with c11 or c16 and a ta-49? my 41 pounds of fuel pressure line on is about 44 or 45 pounds line off.