You can type here any text you want

Tranferring plates in Illinois. Cheapest way?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

V6UnderPressure

The Artist FKA Scott4DMny
Ok, my plates have been suspended because I cant pass emissions. Anyways, I was going to get the show car exemption blah blah blah. Anyways I didnt want to wait so I just transferred the title to my fiance's name. I went to get the insurance and I have to be on the title. Great, so I just screwed myself. Anyhow, I paid I think over 200 just to transfer the title to her. IS there a cheaper way to do it or something I do not know??? I dont remember it being that expensive for just "giving" a car to someone. Maybe some of you know??? I have to get the title back to my name. Thanks in advance for any help.

Scott

Hey Scott,
Not sure on the transferring part, but as far as insurance goes, I went with Rally. It's like $128 for 6 months of coverage at a agreed value of $15,000. No emmissions test needed. :cool:

Glenn, Is that agreed value insurance??? I want to insure my GN for 25,000 because its what I put into it. I don't wanna have to go through appraisals. I just want what I put into it insured and thats it.

Scott

Yep, it is agreed value. I didn't have to play games with appraisals, just emailed over a bunch of pictures of the car. Be sure to mention that you heard of it through the Chicagoland Buick Club.

http://www.rallyinsurance.com/

Scott4DMny said:
Ok, my plates have been suspended because I cant pass emissions. Anyways, I was going to get the show car exemption blah blah blah. Anyways I didnt want to wait so I just transferred the title to my fiance's name. I went to get the insurance and I have to be on the title. Great, so I just screwed myself. Anyhow, I paid I think over 200 just to transfer the title to her. IS there a cheaper way to do it or something I do not know??? I dont remember it being that expensive for just "giving" a car to someone. Maybe some of you know??? I have to get the title back to my name. Thanks in advance for any help.

Scott
I have a Toyota Tercel and I put it in my girlfriends name, but I drive it everyday. I did it because it was cheaper to insure if it was her car. I have State Farm. I told my agent exactly what we were doing and she said it was fine. We both have seperate policies, but all of our cars are insured through State Farm. You should check with different insurance companies, because what I did is the same as what you did and it's legal for me. Good Luck PM me if you have any questions

Back