Tranny sat for 2 years

turbojkt

I have a transmission that sat in the garage for 2 years. It was
working fine when it was taken out of the car and all the fluid was drained out while it sat. I just put it back in a car, 11 1/2 quarts of fluid, new torque converter and nothing!! It won't go into any gear. Can sitting a long time dry out the seals or something??

Very odd

it should have been fine. No chance that it had a touch of moisture in it and it froze is there? I saw that once.
First thing I would do would be to put a line pressure gauge on it and see what you got. Also.. are you SURE you got the converter in correctly and did not stack the pump? Not to demean you as all have done it at one time or another, just trying to determine what is up. Test line pressure and get back to us.

Bruce
WE4
PTS XTREME

AH HA!!!!

Just reread your post. Any chance a 30 splined converter was put in by mistake? That would do it. Also, just a bad converter would do it also. New converter to you or new out of box? I'll bet your whole problem is converter. Easy test.... Line prssure gauge. If you have line, the converter is your issue. I would bet money on it.;)

Bad side........It may be coming back out. :(

Bruce
WE4

Converter & Line Pressure

Stock converter was re-built to stall at about 2700 by a local shop. They did one a few years ago that worked great.

The mechanic doing this for me says there is "0" line pressure.

Thanks for the response Bruce. Just found out my trans pressure gauge took a big dump (ran a test on 4l60e that still shifted and it read 10 psi:eek: ). Going to push it back in and retest the pressure. Thought it was a little funny that it read almost 0 when I could hear the pump working when I put it in gear.:rolleyes: Man this has been a frustrating project, 8 months and still counting. Here's to hoping it's the wrong converter.

Hooked up the new pressure gauge and got some healthy pressure readings, looks like you might be right Bruce. Out comes the tranny, lets see if a 700r4 input shaft drops into this converter.:p

Couldn't sleep just had to pull the tranny out, and what do you know Bruce was right. Pulled out the converter and checked what spline it was by dropping in a 700 input shaft and it fit. :mad:Just need to get the converter redone (Mr Tadje you have mail) and then we can finally go for a ride.;)

Well that sucks...but...

At least now you know what it is. Enjoy turkey day under the car;)

Let us know how you make out.

Bruce
WE4
PTS XTREME

Just got done putting the right converter back in the car (who says Datsuns are hard to work on?) ;) and went for a ride. Trans shifts perfectly, now on to tuning and getting everything put back together and...............