You can type here any text you want

trans am brakes fit?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

eleanor68

will the disc brakes from an 88 ta gta fit these cars? or should i be looking for something else for a donor car to pull everything needed for a good braking system? front and rears by the way. i have a donor car in the area that im getting the wheels from, and figured, as long as im there, maybe grabe the brake stuff too... btw its for an 87 G/N

too much stuff

I would like to go with something to upgrade the front discs, and also be able to convert the rears using the same donor type vehicle, just so i dont have to go chasing down all these different parts, then try and remember everything I used if i need a part or pads or whatever. So what can I look for to do this, and again have front and rear discs in one shot? I saw something on an F body car stuff, but not knowing all the technical jargin for what that means, simple things, like 02 camaro or firebird, or what ever years and cars these were will make my search to the boneyards easier. thanks,Jon

The GTA rear disc brakes will not bolt up as the axle flange is 3 bolt on Buick and 4 bolt on GTA. Can you re-drill the backing plate? Don't know! I bought the Baer rear disc brake. Great kit!
Conrad

ok

it doesnt necessarily have to come from a gta. not my donor, just know where one is at. I am looking for any car model and year that I can call a boneyard and ask them if they have "this particular car and year" so i can go and grab the parts.

the front brakes are the very same as the brakes you've already got, and if it has rear drums, those are the same, as well.
if it has rear discs, then it has the Borg Warner 9 bolt rear end, and that rear axle uses a unique axle flange bolt pattern that is unique to the 3rd gen F body, so it wouldn't be a direct bolt on. but you might be able to do some drilling to make it fit. if the wheel flange offset- the distance from the axle housing flange on the housing to the wheel flange of the axle- is the same as your regal.
for a true "bolt in" junkyard brake swap, you need to get some of the later 2wd Blazer spindles for the front. ther won't be a true "bolt in" setup for the rear since our cars thave that retarded axle flange, but the rear brakes from a 77-81 or 93-02 F body or late 90's/early '00's S10 Extreme should bolt onto your rear by drilling your axle flange to the older GM flange bolt pattern that they should have used in the first place.

of course, you can always do what Baer does, but for half the price- adapt C4/C5/C6 Corvette and 98-02 F body rotors and calipers to your stock spindles and rear axle housing by making some brackets.
that's all Baer does- they take stuff that the oems pay to engineer, and they make some 1/4" steel brackets to put them on older cars.

Give 86TexasT(Robert) a shout about the front LS1 conversion. He usually has a complete ready to bolt in kit on hand. Much cheaper than Bear.
The F-body rears are a fairly easy weekend swap, depending on ability.
Just doing the front swap makes a HUGE difference in braking performance.
I'm bias toward the F-body swap, mainly because I've done a few, but there are quite a few options to go with.

Back