Trip to T/A performance

Larry

I ordered Mikes new block a year ago. Never met the guy- never been to Arizona-- I live in NY. I do not have $$ to burn- I have only this one GN. I was told I would have the block in Dec. 02 then Feb 03 etc. Im patient, but concerned. This is a very big project for me-My only project and Im depending on MIke- I guy I didn't know. I deceided it best I get on a plane and see this place and meet Mike. I went out last month. Mike spent a couple hours with me - walking me thru his complete operation. His place is very modern and clean- runs a tight ship. They Do design and assy work and has the CNC machinery to get it done. He's also now stocking parts for our turbo cars. Mike is very Maticulas and commited to get this V-6 project done and out to us. He's been caucious in not putting the block out before he's happy he's crossed all the T's and dotted the i's. Plus hes dependent on vendors getting product to him. As of March- Mike had 10 blocks cast which are in the process of maching. I deceided to have Mike assy mine- so he'll have it awhile longer. I am glad I went out. The cost of the flight was well worth the piece of mind. Mike really deserves alot of credit. He's hanging his reputation and finances out there with the goal to keep our Buicks running fast. You will also see the Block is advertised in this months issue of Hot Rod--Nice- I am Siked. Larry

Larry,
When (if) the block works, there should be a many happy buick owners in line for one. I hope the block can handle low 10s all day long with no bearing concerns, and accept all stock and after market type parts. ha - is that possible ?

Nick Micale has posted on here that the block was designed with that in mind.

The ideal setup would be to buy the block and be able to use all of the stock parts, crank, rods, pistons and heads ( if desired ).

That block is a nice piece of work I saw it in Vegas last year.

Someone on here ( I cant remember who so I wont say ) the block was tested up to 1200 to 1400 HP. More than enough for most of us.

Yep, it's a bright new wonderful world ahead...thanks to TA putting it on the line & bringing the TR engine hardware into the 21st century.

The new block and the new heads are very close to release, with new cranks, rods, & a new intake coming soon afterwards.

2003 is the beginning of Volume II in turbo-V6 history.

Applause & appreciation go out to TA Performance! :)

If you don't mind me asking, approximately how much is the assembled motor going to run? Thanks

TS6- I looked at the #'s hard,comparing building the 3.8 stage II I had vs the T/A ,inc heads for both and changing over to a newly built 400 built by Vince Janice out of Ohio (little plug there). Some of the parts for the 3.8 stage II were used-but I had the heads redone by Champion and the block was also refreshed professionally. The T/A set is ALL new. My calcs also inc details like spark plugs, fluids, harmonic balancer, drive shaft- Im reusing my turbo , intercooler, front cover, intake, KB headers and down pipe. The 3.8 stg II was gonna run about $12,000. The T/A set up ( inc. assy by T/A ) $17500. Lots of $$ for a guy like me, but- I've had the car since 86'- 86,000 miles - since 94' I've raced and showed it- minimal driving. I will not be selling the car- I'll be buried in it, so Im gonna take this chance. Other than this car- I work work work! Hope this helps. Larry

I am thinking of a Stage 2 in the future but I also have the TA block in mind. Just talking about building short blocks between both is the TA more expensive than the Stage 2?:confused:

The way I see it....

Originally posted by BUICKTR
I am thinking of a Stage 2 in the future but I also have the TA block in mind. Just talking about building short blocks between both is the TA more expensive than the Stage 2?:confused:

It really depends on how you build-up the TA block! If you build it (TA Off-Center block) with stock parts like the stock crank, rods, etc. it will be cheaper than building a Stage II, however, if you use all the good expensive parts like a Billet steel crank, forged rods, Duttweiler oiling system, etc. it will be just as expensive as building a Stage II motor! It also depends if you can get some good deals on Stage II parts like some have by finding a complete Stage II shortblock (with parts you can actually use) for a real good price because then you might come out cheaper than you would have if you built a TA block with all the good parts.... When all is said and done I would think if you built a TA block with all the good stuff it would be just as expensive as building a Stage II motor.... All depends on your goals and how much you can/want to spend! :) :cool:

Right now my goal is a mid 10 with my 109 block and after accomplishing this goal and have some fun with it I would to step it up to a 9.70-9.90 with a different block. I have also consider a Stage 1 block if I could still find a virgin out there. The cost may not be as high with building a Stage 1 for this goal instead of a Stage 2.:cool:

What will the weight difference be between a Stage block and TA block, all other things being equal? Cutting 100# off the front end would be HUGE

Originally posted by blackbuick87
What will the weight difference be between a Stage block and TA block, all other things being equal? Cutting 100# off the front end would be HUGE

There will be at least a 50# difference from a stage block.

The $$$ difference in stage block vs. TA block build will depend on how and what is included in the internals and oiling system. The TA block will use an improved stock wet sump system. The block was concieved and built to utilize 3.8 stock internals if desired which is what Brick said above. For building a customer's TA motor, long block w/TA heads and a billet crank, we will start with a $10k budget.

Have a couple other orders to build TA blocks/motors which will be starting this June. Only after then will we know what kind of budget is required?

For those skeptical on-lookers, come to the GSCA Nationals in Bowling Green in a couple weeks and a finished TA machine block which will be there for you to examine!

The first production run of block castings, liners, caps and misc. hardware are now at the machine shop. Because a couple CNC machines are being relocated, this has delayed the finish work about 2 weeks. Present schedule plans are to commence shipping by the end of May.

No one asked, but the TA heads are now being cast and hope to be machined in May. Am presently evulalting a pre-production set which will also be shown in BG next month.:D

Damn !
I'm getting pulled in again......project is starting to interest me. You would think that after $25,000-$35,000 and +++++or so in numerous rebuilds and "guiena pig" after market parts, whose counting (my wife) :rolleyes: , that I would learn.
oh well, I will be at Bowling Green and hm......

I had indicated previously- $17500. Taking out the transmission, drive shaft etc- Its gonna run me 13500- 14500- (block assembled with T/A's heads) delivered to my door. I will use the internal oiling sys with stk front cover. I did send MIke a pickup tube I had from a 3.8 stage II that was used with a stk oiling sys . He may use that as a guide for bends & terminal points. There are no gurantees- even with stage blocks. Rather than taking a wait & see approach- I met Mike, got an understanding of the effort he has put into this and deceided Im gonna take the chance ! I believe Im on the right track with the T/A project. I'll be at the Nationals and the T/A Vendor location will be my 1st stop. Larry

Stage II

Larry,

I live in Brooklyn. I just purchased an on center 4.1 Stage 2 complete Busch South Nascar motor. I sent it to Duttweiler
to convert it.

I got some questions to ask you regarding T/A. Please call me:917-586-2555.

Thanks,
Mike

Originally posted by Nick Micale
There will be at least a 50# difference from a stage block.

The $$$ difference in stage block vs. TA block build will depend on how and what is included in the internals and oiling system. The TA block will use an improved stock wet sump system. The block was concieved and built to utilize 3.8 stock internals if desired which is what Brick said above. For building a customer's TA motor, long block w/TA heads and a billet crank, we will start with a $10k budget.

Have a couple other orders to build TA blocks/motors which will be starting this June. Only after then will we know what kind of budget is required?

For those skeptical on-lookers, come to the GSCA Nationals in Bowling Green in a couple weeks and a finished TA machine block which will be there for you to examine!

The first production run of block castings, liners, caps and misc. hardware are now at the machine shop. Because a couple CNC machines are being relocated, this has delayed the finish work about 2 weeks. Present schedule plans are to commence shipping by the end of May.

No one asked, but the TA heads are now being cast and hope to be machined in May. Am presently evulalting a pre-production set which will also be shown in BG next month.:D
Nick ,could we get a guestamate on the price of the TA heads,,will they bolt up to a stock 109 block..
thanks---saving my pennies..:)

Pricing on the Competition Intimidator TA heads are said to be competitively priced with Champion GN-1 heads.

And yes, they will work with 109 blocks.

I cradled one of the TA CI heads like a little newborn at BG! :)

( Nick had left 1 CI head & an on-center TA block with Tom & Jason Cramer at the RJC booth. )

Do not know what the price on the Competition Eliminator (CE) heads will be.

HTH :)

"said to be competitively priced with Champion GN-1 heads."
This is consistent with what Mike at T/A told me last Jan. Price will vary based on what your looking for- ported - not ported- stk rocker shaft- pedestal ect.
Went to Nationals- On-center block and 1 head was there on display. Looked very nice- Tried to catch up with Nick Micale while there- didn't happen. I did talk with Nick Mon the 19th. He told me he was home from the Nat's and on his way over to see Mike at T/A. Im told 25 blocks were cast and Machining is to commence within a week . Machining the heads will start during this same time period. At least one block will be assembled and run for testing. Should all look OK- then the rest will be a GO!
I appreciate Nick Micale keeping us advised. Im starting to see this thing materialize-- Larry :D