Trouble Codes??

newwguyy

OK, question #10,211...
In my ever enduring battle with a rich running, low mileage stock GN...A friend told me to ground some port under the dash and read trouble codes??? this is all new to me and he wasnt sure either...could someone explain how this is done and where the actual numbers of the codes are displayed? if this is true this would probably be a good start??

Hey I was just kidding earlier :D

Hey don't worry about asking to many questions, I mean come on look at my post count...........its all I do!!! :eek:
Keep in mind your check engine light has to be on to mean you have any codes getting thrown in the ECM. Later, Nick.
http://www.gnttype.org/maint/malf.html

excellent, where do the actual numbers flash? the other day when I was letting it idle for awhile it sounded loaded up with too rich fuel supply, and the check engine light came on until I drove it... :)

There's no actual numbers that flash you have to count how many times you ses light flashes to diagnois the code number.

There's a detailed description of how to check for codes on GNTtype.org If you haven't allready been there, go to the website and read everything they have there.. its a great resource. Heres a link to their Trouble Code Reference page, it tells you exactly how to check the codes and what they all mean.
http://www.gnttype.org/maint/malf.html

Obviously if the Service Engine Soon light is on, you should check, but it will also display any stored codes. If something goes wrong, it will turn on the SES light, if that problem goes away, it will turn off the SES light, but it will keep tht code stored in the computer. Stored codes disappear after 50 engine starts with no occurances. When I was looking to buy my car a few months back, the SES light wasnt coming on, but it had a stored overheating code, which was good bargaining ground to talk the guy down some on price. All it needed was the radiator rodded out (the thing was clogged like crazy), so even if your light isnt on, its not a bad idea to see if anything is stored in there.