You can type here any text you want

Trouble with new starter solenoid

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

b4black

So I finally got around to changing may starter solenoid today, but it won't engage. :mad:

Last time it did this (nothing happens when the key is turned), whacking the solenoid with a small hammer did the trick. It would start fine afterwards, but for me, this was always a warning sign the solenoid was going away for soon. So I changed it this afternoon, but now nothing when I turn the key again.

The new solenoid had an extra post. Could this be a problem. The wiring is the battery positive and two red small wires to the main post and one to the post labeled "S". The ring terminals are very different sizes, so I am sure it's wired like the old solenoid. The post without any wires is labeled "P". What's it for?

I doubt the extra post is the issue Rich, unless you hooked the wire up wrong. You'll need to use a test light and have someone try to start the car. Touch the signal wire with the test light and when the key's turned see if it lights up. If it doesn't light up drop the colum down and find the purple wire off the switch and when you turn the key to the start position see if it's putting a signal out with the test light. If it doesn't do anything then the switch is bad.

Good thought. I dug out the test light and it is getting power when the key is turned.

Good thought. I dug out the test light and it is getting power when the key is turned.
Is the test light bright or dim? It should be super bright since it's getting full battery voltage. If it's full bright take the starter off and have it bench tested.

I was hoping to not pull the starter out again, but that's what I did. 12 Volts at the signal wire. Everything checks out on the bench. Put it back in and it works.

My best guess is that I didn't actually hook up the signal wire to the solenoid properly. It's in a spot that you can't see it from below or through the wheel well.

You may have an end that needs replacing Rich. I've seen some issues with eye rings and crimps breaking a few wires and loosing good conductivity.

Back