Troubles with mechanic (No Start) LONG

Since he's getting a spark, wouldn't that rule out the crank sensor not being bad??? Doesn't the crank sensor supply the reference for the ign module to fire the coil at the right time??? And since he's not getting an inj pulse while starting, IMO, I would look at the cam sensor...Hook a volt/ohmeter on the 20v DC scale up to the center wire on the cam sensor and turn the motor over...The readings should fluctuate between 0v and between 5-7v...If you don't get any fluctuation, then either the cam sensor cap is bad, or you have a sheared roll pin on the cam sensor gear, or the screw holding the metal cup on the cam sensor assembly has come loose keeping the metal cup from turning...

Also, about the ALDL/SES problem...I have heard of some people having a problem with the wiring so that the SES light won't light up...Take a analog volt/ohmeter(one with a needle) or even a test light and probe the ALDL connector with the red probe in the second hole on the top right and the black probe to ground...With the key on, engine off, count the needle sweeps(or the test light flashes) just like you would the SES light...If you still aren't getting a signal at the ALDL connector, then move over to the ECM itself and probe terminal A9...Go here for a description of the ecm pinouts http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/ecmsensors/ecmpins.html You should get a signal there at the ecm to pull the codes from the computer...

Hope this helps...

Originally posted by FJM568
Since he's getting a spark, wouldn't that rule out the crank sensor not being bad??? Doesn't the crank sensor supply the reference for the ign module to fire the coil at the right time??? And since he's not getting an inj pulse while starting, IMO, I would look at the cam sensor...

Were checking ckp signal at the ECM because just because it has spark, we cant assume the ECM is getting ckp input. the module might not be passing it on.

It could be cam sensor too, but again, if the SES light doesnt work, and the wiring to the ECM is good that means the ECM cant be trusted. That is your FIRST point of attack...get that SES light to lilght.

Bring the car to NY broken, tow it out to me in NJ, I'll fix it for you :) I wont rip you off.

JIM-
Q for you- the fuse under the dash marked ecm, is that the other 12v + that you were talking about here-

and pin A-6 is a pink/blk that is keyed power (goes to ECM/SOL or ECM/IGN fuse in fusebox)

if that fuse was blown, would it keep the ses light from flashing?

just curious
BRYAN

IT WORKS
Turns out that with your help, these boneheads fixed it. I printed out this post, edited of course, and they fixed it.
It was the Crank Sensor and the ECM. I'm back on the road now, and on my way to Sarasota Springs, NY! Thanks a lot all, for all of your help. I'll never let anyone say anything bad about my fellow TR owners.:D :D