You can type here any text you want

Trying out my new camera

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Alky V6

Let's go racing, boyz!
I finally got a new digital camera and you all know the car is usually one of the first subjects. I posted some new pics of the engine on my website. Go to the GN Project page. See address in sig. I'm trying to put together a slide show that I'll post on the same page when I can get it together. A 105mm throttle body built by yours truly with a Wiggins clamp will be mounted to the front of the intake plenum.

I had to shorten the slide show. The capacity level on my mebsite is being pegged. How many were able to download the long version? As soon as I can get back on the server, I'll link to the shorter version. Maybe some of you can get the long version from some that were able to download it.

So what do you think? Numbing, isn't it? I hope this will start some new, and interesting configurations. I just love studying a well thought out engine. To me, building an engine is a work of passion. An art form. I think I get more satisfaction putting one together, than I do running it.

If you'll notice, I modified the early first run TA block to fit the later style 3 bolt mounts. A real good modification if your thinking about high HP levels with this block.

Sweet! Very, very nice science project :) Are you planning to hose it now down the track? But the slideshow is like 50MB and want to dl all at once, and making it tough to see the pics you mention? Can you make a seperate section for the relevant new ones?

TurboTR

Just finished downloading the shorter full screen slide show on the site. About 19 meg.

Thanks. And you prolly already know, but if you save the pics as 640x480 you could save about 2/3 the space :)

TurboTR

TurboTR said:
Thanks. And you prolly already know, but if you save the pics as 640x480 you could save about 2/3 the space :)

TurboTR

Thanks. I'll remember that next time I take some pics and know I'm going to them.

Don, take the pics in whatever resolution you want to save them in for yourself, and then use the software that came with your camera (or PhotoEditor that comes with windows) to make a lo res, 640x480 copy for the Internet. Or drag all the parts out again and snap more pics, your choice :-) :-)l

Yea, I have a couple photo editing programs on my computer. I just need to take the time and figure out how to use them. I'm used to using an older program I had on my old computer. Thanks for the help. I guess 640 x 480 is the only way to go for the internet. My old camera took nothing but that resolution and I was so tired of getting that quality of picture compared to the resolutions they have these days. I got carried away with the nicer pictures this new camera is taking.

Thanks again for the advise.

Service Temporarily Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer/1.3.33 Server at drwtransmission.com Port 80

The Swede said:
Service Temporarily Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer/1.3.33 Server at drwtransmission.com Port 80

Yeah, that's the message that comes up if too much data transferring has occurred within too short a period of time. I think it resets after 12 hours.

Finally i got in.... very,very nice and interesting project you have there Don!

The oil pan, is that something special for the T/A block?

The Swede said:
Finally i got in.... very,very nice and interesting project you have there Don!

The oil pan, is that something special for the T/A block?

Thanks for the compliment. An ungodly amount of time, research and passion has gone into this thing. The pan is a drysump pan manufactured by ARE (Armstrong Race Engineering). Their website is www.drysump.com. They set me up with the pump and tank also. Had to make my own mounting for it though.

For those that have built up the TA block, they might appreciate this. Under the timing cover is a gear drive for the camshaft. Not a chain. Notice the lifter valley oil scavenge pickup behind the flexplate. Conversion from 2 bolt to three bolt mounting pattern for the engine mounts.

I'm also trying out the roller X lifters by Shubeck with this engine.

The intake is a complete bolt together, modular design I came up with about 3 years ago. With the change of one component, It can be mounted on an on-center or off-center block. At this point in development, I would never consider an off-center anyway, but I thought it would be a nice engineering exercise to add that feature to the manifold. The first upper plenum piece was a quickie, the first time around, to get the thing done and running. After gaining a bit more metal fabrication skill over the last few years, I decided to make the upper piece I really wanted. I don't mean to blow my own horn, but I think it came out absolutely beautiful. Have you ever seen a design like that used in such a way anywhere. I hope it catches on and we start seeing some new variations of it. Although, it is a bit much to make. Arrrg. :( Can't wait to see what it looks like with the BIG throttle body on it. :cool:

Don,

Just curios.... the x lifters, why do you wanna try them?

From what i understand, if you not are pleased with them, you must pay alot of cash to get the block right again, right?

One guy in our garage had these lifters mounted on his Pro Mod/TDS www.protruck.se and they seperated in 2 pieces during the brake in.

The Swede said:
Don,

Just curios.... the x lifters, why do you wanna try them?

From what i understand, if you not are pleased with them, you must pay alot of cash to get the block right again, right?

One guy in our garage had these lifters mounted on his Pro Mod/TDS www.protruck.se and they seperated in 2 pieces during the brake in.

These are the new drop in models. They use a tie bar similar to Comps. There was no block modification done. Gosh, I hope these don't bust. The reason I want to try them is because everyone knows that the weak points of our valve train are the springs (particularly at high pressures) and the needle bearings and axles of the standard mechanical roller lifter. I'm not running the spring pressures of a Pro Mod so hopefully they'll work out for me. They appear to be a good piece anyway. We'll see. I've seen the normal wear that occurs with the needle bearings and axle setup and I have never been comfortable with it. This same wear occurs at a needle bearing roller rocker trunnion also. Make sure those areas are checked for pitting during every inspection teardown.

Would you happen to have any pics of the broken lifter(s)?

Swede, I just checked out the truck. Sweet! Three injectors per! I love it!
I like the idea of pushing the innovation envelope you mention on your site. Way to go. I wish you guys all the success with your goals.

WFO!!!

Don,

Sorry to destroy your camera thread....

I talked to some garage friends today about the Schubeck lifters and one inkl. was the Pro Truck owner.... they said that the lifters where split in the bottom around the puck where the material was to small, actually split in 3 piecis.... not once, but twice during the brake in for them. Now they have to sleeve the block for "normal" lifters.

One tould me that Schubeck lifters has done these for many others.

Why take the chance?

I only you wan't to make sure that your new setup will hold.

Take care!

The Swede said:
Don,

Sorry to destroy your camera thread....

I talked to some garage friends today about the Schubeck lifters and one inkl. was the Pro Truck owner.... they said that the lifters where split in the bottom around the puck where the material was to small, actually split in 3 piecis.... not once, but twice during the brake in for them. Now they have to sleeve the block for "normal" lifters.

One tould me that Schubeck lifters has done these for many others.

Why take the chance?

I only you wan't to make sure that your new setup will hold.

Take care!
Are you kidding? You didn't destroy anything. I appreciate the feedback. That bit of information is very valuable to me. It means that I'll have to pull the pan so I can take a peak at the lifters every so often. It's not my style to condemn a product because of a few bad reports. Pick a part that has a 100 percent failure free rate in a racing engine. No such thing.

I got it.

Attachments

• IMGP0140_resize.JPG
    IMGP0140_resize.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 145
Back