You can type here any text you want

Tubular A-Arms and Shims ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

KWIKR 1

when swapping out the stock upper control arms for a set of tubular A-Arms . do you guys put the stock shims back in the orig spots ? or bolt them up without the shims and see what happens when you get the alignment re-done ?

These uppers look alot like the ones Gbody's sells . how big of a shim pack are you guys having to put in to get the alignment ?

Go back exactly with what came out of it. Once the shop gets lold of it then they'll be able to figure out if it needs less or more shims put in to correct it. If you look at the suspension stickys there's at least 1 vid of how to do a DIY alignment and it's pretty comprehensive.:)

Got it ...Thanks . I'm also reading about mounting the ball join on the underside to help with camber ? what's that all about ??? These arms are from Speedway Motors .

The steering knuckles and the upper and lower control arms don't give the best camber curve. If you add some height to the uppers and lowers then the camber curve gets better so the car holds the road better in a curve. Taller ball joints and a few other tricks help quite a bit. If you look on the news stand right now Popular Hotrodding has a realy decent write up on suspension as well as info on a protouring chasis set up.:)

Thanks good info . I am also running a lower UMI . any Moog part numbers on the longer upper ball Joint ?

Yes and no. You can get a taller ball joint but the knuckle will need to be reamed out where the stud goes. If you want a direct replacement that will fit with no mods then you can get a proforged or Howe replacement with a longer stud.

Yes and no. You can get a taller ball joint but the knuckle will need to be reamed out where the stud goes. If you want a direct replacement that will fit with no mods then you can get a proforged or Howe replacement with a longer stud.

thanks ...got a part number on the Proforged and Howe ? and where to get the best price on them ?

Speedway motors has some of the best prices for Howe but their shipping is a little high to me. You can either do 2 1/2" longer joints per side or use the 1" longer lower but don't go more than 1" total. It will cause issues if go more than 1" total. Part numbers for the Howe joints are:
1/2" longer upper ball joint part number 106-200322LF. Speedway.
1/2" longer lower ball joint part number 001127750. Howe.
1" longer lower ball joint part number 0011277100. Howe.

Thanks . I have to find out if my UMI lowers have a longer BJ or not . any idea ?

Thanks for all the info !! Ordered a pair of Proforged 101-10020 , should be good to go now . :) 101-100201101-10020101-1002001-10020

you americans are real lucky . $146 to get two Proforged tall BJ's shipped to Canada thru Summit . Crazy ! :D :)

you americans are real lucky . $146 to get two Proforged tall BJ's shipped to Canada thru Summit . Crazy ! :D :)
If it helps, I'm trying to buy 2 poly bushings with sleeves for a project and the bushings are about 40 miles from me. Got a friend in the same area and want to pic the parts up but the store wants to ship them and the shipping costs more than the bushings.:eek:

If it helps, I'm trying to buy 2 poly bushings with sleeves for a project and the bushings are about 40 miles from me. Got a friend in the same area and want to pic the parts up but the store wants to ship them and the shipping costs more than the bushings.:eek:

ok...I'll call that a even steven being bent over the front fender deal . :D :)

Speedway motors has some of the best prices for Howe but their shipping is a little high to me. You can either do 2 1/2" longer joints per side or use the 1" longer lower but don't go more than 1" total. It will cause issues if go more than 1" total. Part numbers for the Howe joints are:
1/2" longer upper ball joint part number 106-200322LF. Speedway.
1/2" longer lower ball joint part number 001127750. Howe.
1" longer lower ball joint part number 0011277100. Howe.

Charlief1, what would be the best way to improve handling, install 1/2" upper and 1/2" lower ball joints or only install 1" longer lower ball joints? What would be the pros and cons for each of the above installations? Thanks for your input.

Charlief1, what would be the best way to improve handling, install 1/2" upper and 1/2" lower ball joints or only install 1" longer lower ball joints? What would be the pros and cons for each of the above installations? Thanks for your input.
It's a catch 22 here Ken. The best way to tell is to have the car weighed and see where it sits as far as front to rear bias and side/side bias. Remember that if it's sitting lower on one end than the other the weight goes to the lower end. If you're planning on doing drag (please don't wear high heels:p) Then you may want the front lower, but if you want street/road then you want more of a balance.;)

Back