You can type here any text you want

Tuning with alky on a street chip!!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

3.8L V-8 eater

Hi, to all

I'm pretty new to the hole tuning game and have a few questions. I'm running 20lbs of boost on 94 octane and SMC's non progressive alky kit (square bottle) I'm doing this tuning on a TT street chip....My o2's were were running way lean starting at about 720 to 730 ish. I backed down the boost to 20lbs. & started adding fuel in all gears and I'm now at +10% in all gears and 02's have come up gradually with the added fuel and are now around 790 to 805... As far as timing i've added only a 1* in 1st and about 2* in 3rd & 4th, don't want to push my luck:eek:

Am I On the right track here or wasting my time :confused: I will be getting an alky chip eventually, but have heard of people doing ok with the street chips. Would like to get to around 23 lbs. and get the timing up. Haven't seen any knock since getting o2's up in the high 700's.... Any thoughts other than it is easier with an alky chip????

Tony....

Power logger works well in tuning. Being able to review logs and compare after changes helped me alot. I love my scanmaster, don't get me wrong they're great. But you are on the right track. Sounds like you are lacking in the fuel supply area though at such "low" boost.

Power logger works well in tuning. Being able to review logs and compare after changes helped me alot. I love my scanmaster, don't get me wrong they're great. But you are on the right track. Sounds like you are lacking in the fuel supply area though at such "low" boost.

Ya, I would love to get a better tool for tuning just trying to get the most out of what I got right now... I figured the lack of fuel supply was because the street chip is set up for 17 to 18 lbs. of boost, so i needed to add the 10% more fuel because I'm running more boost which in turn should require more fuel. Does that make sense or do you think that I shouldn't need to add that much fuel due to possibly a inadaquate fuel system???

ive done just fine with TT street chips

17-18psi chip should support 21-23psi boost with alky (providing the chip is burned for your combo/turbo),
at 20psi you shouldnt need more fuel if the chip is correct and your FP rises 1:1 , ADD ALKY

timing on street chip should be 19/17, typical timing for alky is 23/20 (and some crank it up past that ;)
timing can be higher in 1-2 when load is less and run less timing for third (and fourth if your tune can support it) when load is higher

the 009s should be able to support your turbo with alky (im running mid 10s with the injectors running equivalent of a maxed 42# inj ,personally i would run a bigger injector (and I do)
if the street chip was burned for the 60 turbo than adding 10% may put you over 100% injector duty cycle in which case you are only fattening up the bottom since you cant add fuel at top rpm ranges with the chip once the injectors reach 100% (even though a data log will show it at over 100%) . if you were monitoring with powerlogger or directscan you'd know where your duty cycle is and youd see, once you reach 100% inj and find o2s arent up where you want its time for an upgrade ,

anyways start with more alky and make sure FP is rising 1:1 and see where it gets you ,

ive done just fine with TT street chips

17-18psi chip should support 21-23psi boost with alky (providing the chip is burned for your combo/turbo),
at 20psi you shouldnt need more fuel if the chip is correct and your FP rises 1:1 , ADD ALKY

timing on street chip should be 19/17, typical timing for alky is 23/20 (and some crank it up past that ;)
timing can be higher in 1-2 when load is less and run less timing for third (and fourth if your tune can support it) when load is higher

the 009s should be able to support your turbo with alky (im running mid 10s with the injectors running equivalent of a maxed 42# inj ,personally i would run a bigger injector (and I do)
if the street chip was burned for the 60 turbo than adding 10% may put you over 100% injector duty cycle in which case you are only fattening up the bottom since you cant add fuel at top rpm ranges with the chip once the injectors reach 100% (even though a data log will show it at over 100%) . if you were monitoring with powerlogger or directscan you'd know where your duty cycle is and youd see, once you reach 100% inj and find o2s arent up where you want its time for an upgrade ,

anyways start with more alky and make sure FP is rising 1:1 and see where it gets you ,

pacecarta, thanks for the good info!! My chip is burned for the combo, but never even thought of possibly maxing out the injectors. I have my alky controller set at 8, so don't have that much more i can go as far as adding alky... The hardest part of this tuning for me has been trying to figure out when the scanmaster is recording the o2 readings. I did get the faster update put into the chip which has seemed to make it even harder to tell:confused: Sometimes when i hit the recall button the #'s reflect what seems to be an earlier lower reading:confused:

Is the best way to tell o2's is by rolling into the throttle at say around 50MPH then stay in it for a bit then check the SM?? Don't see how I'm going to get to 23lbs. of boost if 10% more fuel is already needed at 20lbs

Tony...

are you certain the alky is actually spraying as it should be , ive replaced alot of bad pumps (seized) in old smc kits
is the pump spray light coming on under boost?, does it stall or stumble the motor when you hold the test button? , have you visually checked the nozzle for spay pattern and spray volume ?

are you certain the alky is actually spraying as it should be , ive replaced alot of bad pumps (seized) in old smc kits
is the pump spray light coming on under boost?, does it stall or stumble the motor when you hold the test button? , have you visually checked the nozzle for spay pattern and spray volume ?

Ya, I'm certain the alky is spraying. It will stumble when i press the test button at idle and I have to refill the bottle much more often than I guessed would be needed. Light is coming on as it should and there is no knock just can't get 02's up in 3rd gear... I noticed if I hit the throttle at a slow speed where i down shift into second gear they are in the low 800's it just seems to be in 3rd & 4th when I shift it from Od to drive punching it at about 55 or 60... Could proabably turn the boost up higher with no knock, but the 02's would get even lower :confused:

Back