Turbo 6 Monte?????

i think thats fake, i could be wrong though, that could be a slip he made him self, i know their are a couple guys on here with turbo 6's in monte's, so maybe he just thought that it would be cool add on to the turbo monte's :confused: dunno though...

The 79 Monte Carlo did have the turbo 3.8, it was the buick engine. Don't know if those badges are correct though.

I have seen two of these crs. One was a 79 one was an 81. They did have the Turbo Buick 3.8. The hood scoop on them is different than a Buick though. It is asymetrical and mounts to the drivers side of the hood, just off center (like the first Turbo TA). The emblems appear correct to me. They also had the same ones (with bow tie) inside on the radio plate and dash I think.

I thought that the turbo engine for the 1981 Monte Carlo (4-bbl. carb) was the Chevy 229 V-6. Yes?

Easy to tell - is the distributor in the front (where our cam sensors are) or in the back (like a SBC)?

???

Interesting. I just got into an argument with a guy. He said they made the turbo monte carlo in 84, some special edition. I didn't think they ever made them. So we were bothe wrong. If someone has a picture, I'd love to see it.

bet him the house. The turbo monte carlos stopped before 84..

Originally posted by .38 special
Interesting. I just got into an argument with a guy. He said they made the turbo monte carlo in 84, some special edition. I didn't think they ever made them. So we were bothe wrong. If someone has a picture, I'd love to see it.

Those 79 turbo Montes are a rare sight (well, anything from 79 is a rare sight these days). I think I've only ever seen one on the road and it was a complete pig.

Rich

They are rare. The 81 I saw was in the junkyard. It was dark blue with T-tops and the rare aluminum checkered flag style rims. I saw an ad once, maybe on Before Black that had a pict of the same kind of car. I wanted to see about buying it before they put it out to be picked apart but when I came back a few days later it was already out. Too bad, it was pretty clean, exterior and interior. Probably turned in for $20 or whatever they give for the gross polluter. I saw the rims on another g-body in town later. :(

From what I remember, GM only installed the Buick turbo 6 in the Monte for 2 years; 1980 and 1981. Neither were very common when new, but even rarer now.

My brother has a 1980 Monte with the turbo engine....grandpa fresh car...but he pulled it to drop in a 383...hopefully he will let me have it for free...since the engine has been sitten in my moms garage for the last year...

Thanks for posting the pic. Man, that 80 model wasn't very attractive at all. But very interesting info.

The Monte Carlos of that period had a full gauge cluster including analog tach. However, I do not recall if a boost gauge was ever part of that cluster.

(My uncle has a '78 El Camino: 231V6, 3 speed manual, factory tach).:cool:

Actually the Monte's didnt have a boost gauge OR full gauge's.
They did have a gauge cluster with round gauges similar to the optional gauge packages offered on the El Caminos and Malibu's.
The standard Monte cluster uses parts from these and had the same speedo and gas gauge, but all the other positions had idiot lights for the volts, coolant temp and oil pressure.
The right hand position in the cluster had a block off plate where the option clock OR tach/clock combo would mount.
If someone checked off the option for the gauges, it would have actual gauges in each position and at the very least a clock.

Thanks for posting the pic. Man, that 80 model wasn't very attractive at all. But very interesting info.

you sure about that :cool:

asantimonte029.jpg

asantimonte037.jpg