Turbo Buick Market

JustABuick

Hello all,

It's my understanding that the Turbo Buick market is down right now (please correct me if I'm wrong). And I am confused as to why some people (Ebay, craigslist) are asking $9,000+ for a GN that needs a total resto. It's not only the Grand Nationals and TRs, but other Buicks...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buick-Rivie...c3f8a3171&item=121325105521&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

I've seen some dang nice cars on here go for $11k-$12k and I don't understand what makes these people think these project cars are bricks of gold. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying TRs shouldn't be valuable, I just don't know where some of these people are coming up with their prices? Are they making appearances in pop culture more often, or are these just your average dreamers?

--Kelly

Its like that all over, I dabble with the foxbody Mustangs as well. There is always the high priced projects , lots of people think because they have it it's gold. They don't sell, at least not for what they expect, & the same cars get listed over and over again until it gets tossed back behind the barn or they realize it's never going to sell at that price.

Its like that all over, I dabble with the foxbody Mustangs as well. There is always the high priced projects , lots of people think because they have it it's gold. They don't sell, at least not for what they expect, & the same cars get listed over and over again until it gets tossed back behind the barn or they realize it's never going to sell at that price.

And it's even more strange, because the Fox bodies and Regals are at an age point where they are getting harder to find in decent shape, but not worth the cost of doing a total restoration. I guess they "classics" now, but not in the same sense as a 1st Gen Camaro or 68 Mustang GT

Of course there many varied factors such as the economy, people dreaming, etc. It is something I'm interested in and my opinion is the values will slowly but steadily rise. To me it is one of the few older cars (especially of that era) that (looks wise) when you put it up side by side against some modern muscle cars (which some admittedly look pretty kick ass up close) -and indeed all other vintage muscle cars the GN doesn't look cheap...as a matter of fact it kicks ass because its even rarer on top of it.

Your car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

Not a hard concept to understand.

It's hard to believe my car is 30 years old. It'd be like seeing someone DD a 56 chevy in 86, and our cars don't feel that old and I sure as hell don't feel that old. :)

It's hard to believe my car is 30 years old. It'd be like seeing someone DD a 56 chevy in 86, and our cars don't feel that old and I sure as hell don't feel that old. :)

Haha, agreed. They look much better than other cars that are 30 years old, too ;)

The market is down, the prices are UP. I've seen plenty of cars on sale for months and months and not sell. Ebay too, there was a White T on there that the guy wanted 15k for and the bidding only got up to 10k, so he shill bid it up to his reserve...didn't sell of course. That's a pretty big gap between what the seller wants and what the market is willing to pay

I noticed that there are quite a few TRs on there too, wonder why??? Is it because the weather is starting to change for the better? Also the prices on here will always be more bang for your buck as compared to eBay or Craigslist just my opinion.

I think the internet, Barret/jackson, the ability to get parts all play into higher prices. People see these high dollar, real nice cars and think their bucket is worth more. Asking and selling are two different numbers most of the time, and the juice at the auction adds up too.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Obviously finding the right buyer and market and willing to sit on it for awhile is another factor cause it goes the other way too, a couple buddies of mine who are car guys just can't seem to comprehend that an 84 T-type has a market differential compared to a 86-87 GN, despite me always repeating the usual mantra. I think most people are like that so they see a $5k 84 and wonder why others are 4x as much. Also whenever some punk stops you and asks if the car is for sale they are thinking 5 grand even though basically you could have a show car.

I get people asking "how much?" Just about every time I drive mine. It is a beater and I know it but it is my beater and I know the original owner(me) so it will go to one of my kids and they can do whatever with it. I had an 84 I traded in this one but you are right that the typical car guy doesn't have a clue on the differences.
I still think a straight , rust free one owner car is worth more than a modded, multiple owner car that has been painted because you don't know what's under that shiney paint and what will show up in 6 months or a year.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Considering the fact I have 10grand in just suspension and brakes means I'll never be able to sale my car for what I have invested. Keeping it stock would have been the wisest financial choice although what fun is that?

Also, priced a decent 'muscle car' lately? Our cars are bargains compared to whats out there in more vintage iron. However, I think many novice car folks are scared of owning something that isn't as mainstream. Even folks who are into modern cars generally aren't to crazy about electronic controlled cars prior to OBDII. There are also factors such as states with inspection and emission control rules that would hamper the ownership for some. These factors are harming the price which some would argue keeps them affordable. Though a low price will also cause fewer and fewer of them to be 'worth' saving. Why restore a car if it's only going to be worth 1/3 of the cost to restore it? Also, if the car isn't worth much more in parts, it will be parted out more often than not. Not to mention the low cost makes things like LS swaps more likely to happen. In the long run, original cars will become rarer and alternatively worth more. So be careful what you ask for when wanting the car's value to stay 'affordable."

Also whenever some punk stops you and asks if the car is for sale they are thinking 5 grand even though basically you could have a show car.

This kills me. It's such a major backhanded complement. I love your car! Give ya nothing for it!

Right, they're at point in time where they aren't worth the restoration, because the vast majority are a bargain compared to 60's / early 70's muscle. I don't necessarily want the car's value to stay affordable, it's just relative to the car. Not trying to step on any toes

I just sold my 25K mile '86 GN for $21K cash with lots of interest at a local, large automotive swap meet. If the car is nice, people will pay more now than at any previous time in history.

I paid $13.5K for it in 2000 (as an "investment") thinking it would be worth $20K by 2008... but the economy went into the toilet and never came back.

Having collected musclecars for 30+ years, there is no reason 86-87 TR's shouldn't be $30K cars if clearly inferior small block '60/70's muscle cars sell for $30K.

Now that they are all emissions exempt in texas, its only $15 / year safety check and all the mods don't need to be removed/reinstalled every year.

If only Good Guys would let 25 year old cars in on Saturday, the values would explode, because nothing scares a street rodder like a tuned TR pulling up next to them at a light... and they know it.

I was just reading the gnx thread. Two guys recently bought gnx's, both with 18k miles on them. One paid $59k, the other paid $52k. Yeah, prices have really come down lately. Wish I could afford one though.