You can type here any text you want

turbo camaro

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

80 camaro

I have a 80 camaro with a buick 231 motor in it, i know this is the same basic block that are in the GNs, question is, is it the same block or did GM do updates to the block i know internals are different, im just trying to get some ideas as id like to run a carbd turbo 3.8 and am looking for the best way to do it(thats fairly cheap) thanks all

I have a 80 camaro with a buick 231 motor in it, i know this is the same basic block that are in the GNs, question is, is it the same block or did GM do updates to the block i know internals are different, im just trying to get some ideas as id like to run a carbd turbo 3.8 and am looking for the best way to do it(thats fairly cheap) thanks all
GN blocks are different. It is not that easy. If you want to do a swap it has been done before. Not all 3.8's are the same by far. *slap*

GN blocks are different. It is not that easy. If you want to do a swap it has been done before. Not all 3.8's are the same by far. *slap*
what do you mean by different? whats different? internal passages and baffling or what not is that what you mean?

don't waste your time with a carbed turbo make it fuel injected and save your self time and trouble

don't waste your time with a carbed turbo make it fuel injected and save your self time and trouble
I could not disagree more... Be different. All I have are intercooled cars now and a hot air parts car. See what you can do with it :D I would not call it a waste of time at all but you have to be dedicated to the idea. If you are on a budget Buicks are not gona be nice to you though. It really does not matter what kind of turbo buick... it will not be nice to you or your wallet.

what do you mean by different? whats different? internal passages and baffling or what not is that what you mean?

Actually the blocks differ from year to year. The stronger production blocks are from the 86-87 model years. The Turbo blocks are the same as their NA counterparts. The Turbo engines from 84-87 had different cranks, pistons and camshafts than the NA engines. Im not sure about the carb'd turbo 3.8s from the early yeats. Your best bet is to find a complete long block with accessories unless you have Fab skills and can do your own setup....then I would at least get used short block or build a new one if you got the monies.

so the block in my 80 camaro wouldn't be a good block to start with and do a complete rebuild with forged bottom end and dished pistons? i dont wanna go buy a GN car for parts as id rather see it go to help an actual regal unless that is truely gonna be my best option, thanks

The car came from the factory with the buick 3.8??

At your power level (300hp?), I would use any 3.8 block from 84-87
You might also get away with the NA crank as well.

I used to get NA 3.8's from the yard for $150
You could re-use everything but the rods/pistons.
Used stock turbo pistons are CHEAP!!!

I would look into used "hot air" 84-85 turbo set up for the ing and FI.

I would not go with the carb. Alot of used cheap parts out there to build this.

Yea it was org. A cali car so it was built with the computerized 231 in 80. Since I've owned it the computer started screewing up so I just took a dist. And carb off a non computer 79 231 and its ran fine since. I just wanna make it fast without doing the all so common sbc and I really wanna do it keeping it carbed too

I beg to differ........Any 3.8 even fire 3.8 block will easily handle 500+ HP. Remember, the original Buick V6 was going to be cast out of alunimum, but do to casting technology for aluminum wasn't up to par, they decided to use cast iron. The Buick V6 block is very strong. The later 86-87blocks are preferred, though. A NA crank is safe to 500HP with zero detonation. A blow through carb will make amazing power, too. A 86-87 engine swap would be best, BUT........

Go for it. Read up on blow through turbo/carb systems on turbomustangs.com There is alot of good info on the ins and outs of blow through systems. There are ready made bolt on blow through carbs out there.

Ok,

After understanding your goals better.

You might find a complete '78-83 carbed/turbo motor for well under $1000. I bought a complete one out of the junk yard for $150.

See if you can find a running one for less than $500..

80 Camaro, check out the before black section b4b of this website. I'm sure you will find some more help or idea's.

by NA you mean Naturally Aspheratied(sp) right? and yea turbo archie, how many #s of bost is safe on something like that? i want to run a carbd one but have the turbo location kinda like the 84-87 ones or atleast similar how much rwhp are u making with the junkyard block anyways?

by NA you mean Naturally Aspheratied(sp) right? and yea turbo archie, how many #s of bost is safe on something like that? i want to run a carbd one but have the turbo location kinda like the 84-87 ones or atleast similar how much rwhp are u making with the junkyard block anyways?

NA means naturally aspirated. If you are planning on a C/T system then blow through will be much easier honestly. The C/T systems are frustraiting to say the least and you really have to do your homework. This is for the stock draw through. The blow through is much easier. I've spent several years figuring out what I'm going to do with my stock draw through and have started on the car now. Almost all the parts are out there but you really have to scrounge for them. The stock draw through can handle 20 PSI if you have everything perfect but it's a moot point because at that point there are no gains to be had. Normally 15 PSI is more than enough.

80 Camaro, check out the before black section b4b of this website. I'm sure you will find some more help or idea's.

^^^ What he said X2! Please come visit us in the B4Black section and do some reading. Adam has a blow through that makes 600 FT/LBS! No jokes either. He's about to do an upgrade on the turbo so who knows how much more he can squeeze out of her.:cool:

LMAO..

boy they really hate the carb turbo setup dont they?

gonna be funny when a carb system beats up on an SFI system.

A.j.

LMAO..

boy they really hate the carb turbo setup dont they?

gonna be funny when a carb system beats up on an SFI system.

A.j.

anything can be done putting time and $$$ into it. :p Ya I am a hater!! Or should I say I wouldn't waste my time for so little gain as a stocker. I'd spray it as it is and call it a day. :biggrin:

anything can be done putting time and $$$ into it. :p Ya I am a hater!! Or should I say I wouldn't waste my time for so little gain as a stocker. I'd let them spay me and call it a day. :biggrin:

Fixed it for you Dan.:eek::biggrin: LOL

Back