Turbo Choice... 6766,6262?

Don’t overlook a old school turbo like a te45a (66mm) if you can get a good deal on one. For a cast wheel and journal bearing they perform well. I’m running 10.27 @ 133 with 29 #s ,my car weights 3850 with me in it. My combo is in my signature.
thats using all of it for sure well done.

this is a great statement

I think Abraham Lincoln said it in his "I have a Dream" speech.

...but really, that very reason is why I am planning on running a Garrett GTW DBB 6765 turbo on my Stage 2 headed TA block...that turbo all-in is good for a solid 850-900rwhp which is plenty damn fast for me until I can afford to get a complete cage installed and the frame completely boxed.

I think Abraham Lincoln said it in his "I have a Dream" speech.

...but really, that very reason is why I am planning on running a Garrett GTW DBB 6765 turbo on my Stage 2 headed TA block...that turbo all-in is good for a solid 850-900rwhp which is plenty damn fast for me until I can afford to get a complete cage installed and the frame completely boxed.
most guys go too big then turn them down,tell everyone that it will make 1000hp meanwhile the car spools like crap and they get smoked;)9 times out of 10 its better to just run the smaller turbo/properly sized turbo harder than to go bigger and turn it down.434 nova is a great ex he is going 10.2 133 at 3800+lbs on a cast 66 meanwhile guys with billet 67s and 70mm turbos are slower

most guys go too big then turn them down,tell everyone that it will make 1000hp meanwhile the car spools like crap and they get smoked;)9 times out of 10 its better to just run the smaller turbo/properly sized turbo harder than to go bigger and turn it down.434 nova is a great ex he is going 10.2 133 at 3800+lbs on a cast 66 meanwhile guys with billet 67s and 70mm turbos are slower

Completely agree.

I can't tell you how many customers I have actually refused to sell turbos to because they think they need some HUGE turbo that basically the same vendor seems to be recommending to them. About half have actually come back after they did more research and bought a turbo from us, I assume the other half is wondering why their car spools like dogshit.

This is so true, I know a guy with a pt-7076 who gets waxed every time with 60-1 and 62mm turbos..
I told him I will lend you my spare 6265bb just bolt it on and see, you will be going to the bank the next day.

This is so true, I know a guy with a pt-7076 who gets waxed every time with 60-1 and 62mm turbos..
I told him I will lend you my spare 6265bb just bolt it on and see, you will be going to the bank the next day.

EXACTLY!!

Dude you don't even know how much business I have turned away because certain vendors put it in people's minds that bigger/newer = BEST....which is definitelty NOT always the case...

i think they just need to be able to say they have a big turbo.i like to go fast and will use what works.

i think they just need to be able to say they have a big turbo.i like to go fast and will use what works.
Yup guys just don't understand, what good is it to have a 90 lb/min turbo and run it way below its efficiency range at 65#min so it spools like a turtle and you got all kinds of boost control troubles, I guess to pop open the hood at shows and say look at that giant snail !

Don’t overlook a old school turbo like a te45a (66mm) if you can get a good deal on one. For a cast wheel and journal bearing they perform well. I’m running 10.27 @ 133 with 29 #s ,my car weights 3850 with me in it. My combo is in my signature.

Thats why their wheel had so much success. Works good and has wide window at mid to high pressure ratios... Great wheel for a built motor with really really good set of heads.

Attachments

• t66.gif
    t66.gif
    11.4 KB · Views: 150
Thats why their wheel had so much success. Works good and has wide window at mid to high pressure ratios... Great wheel for a built motor with really really good set of heads.
And its been pushed way past its 72lb/min rating.

And its been pushed way past its 72lb/min rating.

Hi man, ik everyone gets on me for following the compressor Maps. They made us a comp map for that wheel so follow it. Costs $1000's of dollars to make a map! We're all guilty from time to time running the wheel past it's limits. You can push the wheel harder but you're running the wheel past its efficiency range! At that point you're just pushing hot air. As far as gains, they are minimal and stupid. There are better options.

Hi man, ik everyone gets on me for following the compressor Maps. They made us a comp map for that wheel so follow it. Costs $1000's of dollars to make a map! We're all guilty from time to time running the wheel past it's limits. You can push the wheel harder but you're running the wheel past its efficiency range! At that point you're just pushing hot air. As far as gains, they are minimal and stupid. There are better options.
I understand, im just saying ive seen that turbo closer to 78 lb/min, the Turbonetics version. pretty dam good for a heavy old cast wheel..;)

I drove up to see Bison on Monday - He built me a 6262.
It will be a few weeks until I can report on performance, but it sure is sexy!

Bison 6262.jpg

Wow awesome replies! Im loving how the 62 sounds for street manners

It really is a solid street turbo.

I would contact Dusty Bradford for a PTC converter, and you'd be all set with your setup!

We've been selling (We being our company, RPS) a lot of WORK Billet 6262 turbos lately (another just arrived to a customer on Friday) with a lot of good feedback.

Here are some pics of our WORK turbo for a Billet 6262 that I am talking about... They're right around the $850-900 price range...

https://turbobuick.com/threads/big-thanks-to-boosted-rps.456761/

Anything larger than a 6262 for your engine and street driving won't be as fun. You'll want the quick responsiveness and torque the 6262 gives over something larger like a 67.

If you plan on going with a PTC 9.5" converter and doing a gnarly engine build, a Garrett 64/65 GTW or WORK 64/65 wouldn't necessarily be out of the question, although it would not spool as fast as a 6262 would. The 64/65 would take you to the 9s, though..

Bison has pushed his 62 into the 9's.
The turbo needs to be matched to the combo, so contact him or any of the board vendors for that matter.

Bison has pushed his 62 into the 9's.
The turbo needs to be matched to the combo, so contact him or any of the board vendors for that matter.

In Bold/underlined/italic -Perfectly said. Anything other than doing so would be fundamentally falling short.