4.1L Turbo Advice

CTX-SLPR

Howdy,

I have a 4.1L stock block with a full forged rotating assembly, ~8.0 compression, Champion heads, 212/212 roller, and custom headers. This all sits in my '64 Riviera so it weigh in at around 4000lbs. I'm not looking for huge drag turbo as the car has no cage (nor will it ever) and roadcourse is more my thing. I'm looking for something that won't cork the car down for a ~12.0s run but still build boost quick on the street and out of corners. Headers are full custom to fit the chassis so I can go 3 or 4 bolt and I'm running an external gate.

I was thinking one of the larger GT3582's for quick spool but don't know enough to really believe my own advice on sellecting it. I'm trying to stay under $1600 for the turbo as well but that one is not hard and fast.

Thanks,

I had a TE-62 on my 4.1 and it spooled like mad with my 9/11 3200 stall. Why not try a PTE 6262 or 6265? With the extra cubes and dbb, that think should spool really good.

I have a rebuilt T-70 with .85 exh housing and 4"inlet/2.5" outlet.-&750. shipped

I did a 4.1 (260") with a 224-224 roller, 3000-3200 Pat's 9-1/2". GN1 heads and a T70-"P" trim with a .85 3 bolt PTE housing. Spool up was excellent IMO.
That turbo 49 blues has there would work just fine IMO.

I did a 4.1 (260") with a 224-224 roller, 3000-3200 Pat's 9-1/2". GN1 heads and a T70-"P" trim with a .85 3 bolt PTE housing. Spool up was excellent IMO.
That turbo 49 blues has there would work just fine IMO.
Thanks for the advise. I'm planning on running a ProTorque 2800 stall lockup in the 4L80E for this thing with 3.42's in the rear. Think that would have much of an effect?

I thought you wanted a fast spooling turbo? A T-70 with a 2800 stall is going to be a dog. I know one guy that had a 4.1 with a T-70 and really hated it for the street. He went to a T-67 and was a lot happier.

Could always increase the stall. What stall did the guy that hated it have? I think even a 67 turbo would be a dog with only a 2800 stall unless maybe if it was a ball bearing and that might not even be enough.

You guys are kidding me right?? 62-70 has come up in this thread when the guy says he wants quick spool up and to maybe run 12.0's.

You need a 44, with your stuff it'll spool faster than your foot will move the pedal and it'll make more power than what you are wanting. (with either alky or race gas)

I'll try to be matching the stall to the turbo but street manners kinda trumps. I'm looking at ball bearing turbos more than the old journal bearings and with the need to custom fab the headers anyway I have a bit more choices than just the "standard" Buick 3 bolt turbo's.
One of the big reasons I want a smaller turbo is I don't have much compression to lean on for low end performance in the heavy car. Hence the 3.42's (I'm even considering higher gears) and I know a looser converter will help. However I don't want to go too loose on the converter. This is a 4L80E so TH400 gear ratios and lockup.

Thanks,

You guys are kidding me right?? 62-70 has come up in this thread when the guy says he wants quick spool up and to maybe run 12.0's.

You need a 44, with your stuff it'll spool faster than your foot will move the pedal and it'll make more power than what you are wanting. (with either alky or race gas)

A 62 is a far cry from a T70. I think a 62 would be perfect for a 4.1, no doubt the 44 will out spool it. There was very little difference in spool with my 4.1 and 62 compared to my 3.8 and 44.

A 62 is a far cry from a T70. I think a 62 would be perfect for a 4.1, no doubt the 44 will out spool it. There was very little difference in spool with my 4.1 and 62 compared to my 3.8 and 44.

Oh I agree it would spool a 62 just fine, but with his power desires the 44 will cover it with ease. If I was going to road race my car I would rather have a 44 that made just as much power as I wanted and made power like a NA car, instant.

In my world (street and strip car) I would have a 70 or a 45a on that motor depending on what class I wanted to race it in.

I'll try to be matching the stall to the turbo but street manners kinda trumps. I'm looking at ball bearing turbos more than the old journal bearings and with the need to custom fab the headers anyway I have a bit more choices than just the "standard" Buick 3 bolt turbo's.
One of the big reasons I want a smaller turbo is I don't have much compression to lean on for low end performance in the heavy car. Hence the 3.42's (I'm even considering higher gears) and I know a looser converter will help. However I don't want to go too loose on the converter. This is a 4L80E so TH400 gear ratios and lockup.

Thanks,

With your power desires I personally think BB is just a way to spend money with no real benefit toward your goals, but if that's what you want to have then I guess I'd do one of the BB 62's...Also with your power desires I don't think a 4 bolt housing is going to make much much more power than a 3 bolt .63 housing, but if it makes your life easier in other ways (like building the headers) rock on it won't hurt your combo IMO.

With my 4.1 I went with a 6776 but with a Garrett .63 exhaust housing for quick spool up and love it:D. I think the BB turbo would be a waste of money.

Not stuck on any of the particular options, just pointing out that I'm willing to go with a Ball Bearing (who wouldn't want more top end for equal spool) and the 4-bolt opens up stuff that isn't normal on a Turbo6 because of the 3-bolt. I'm basically starting with a set of the Turbo Regal Custom Parts headers (be they 3 or 4 bolt) then hacking up the cross over and connector as well as potentially the turbo mount so they clear everything. I'd start with scratch but with 80% of the hard work done, I'll take the slightly easier road.

Where did you get that turbo with the Garret .63 housing? Did you order it like that?

Where did you get that turbo with the Garret .63 housing? Did you order it like that?

Send a stock housing to limit or g pop and they will cut it. You can order whatever turbo you want mnus the ex housing. The Garett will start hitting a lot of backpressure around 475whp. Really a mismatch of parts. The 60-1 compressor is the largest I'd run with a Garrett .63. The Garrett will work better than any up to that point. When I hear 67 compressor I'm thinking at least 600whp. If your goal is less the 67 is a waste imo

Limit rebuilt my 6776 and I had them fit a garrett .63 housing on it. It was like a night and day difference in spool up from the .63 precision housing on the street . At the track the precision housing didn't do any better but maybe i'm not at the HP level to notice it but the car is in the high tens. I'm happy with the times below so far, will see I guess.

1.607--60ft
4.386--330
6.848--1/8
99.86-- mph
10.821--1/4
123.01--mph