You can type here any text you want

Turbo Mounted Behind Rear Axle?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

RKHiPerformance

Turbocharged Sex Cylinder
Have you guys ever seen this?

Squires Turbo Systems is offering bolt-on turbo kits, and in these kits the turbo is mounted behind the rear axle. The air filter sits under the rear bumper, and the inlet pipe runs the length of the car to the throttle body. No intercooler is used (or required) in these systems because the turbo runs cooler because of its location and the long inlet pipe radiates heat as the air travels through it.
Any opinions?

Check the link to pics of the LS1 kit:
http://www.ststurbo.com/ls1_installation_pics

Guys this was posted a few months ago I believe, personally I think its a lame idea, first off, our turbo's use exhaust pressure (heat) to make it spin so fast, the exhaust at the tail pipe is not nearly has hot or producing as much energy, now the intake side has a similar problem, think of it this way, the more tubing you have, the more volume of air you have to push at any given moment, or how fast do you think you could push a shopping cart? now how fast do you think you could push 20??? I would put money on this think making a car slower....but hey i could be wrong

My first question is....how would you oil the thing??!!

After that there's the Lag issue's and I don't like how low it's sitting in the picture...turbos are to expensive to be hanging out there all unprotected.

I lifted this directly from their site...

"LS1 Dyno Test

Tested the 99 LS1 prototype on 11/22/03 at Phantom Motorsports in SLC. Results were:

Stock this same car produced a best run of 320 rwhp on this same dyno.
5 psi run produced 416 rwhp and 452 rwtq
8 psi run with methanol injection produced 509 rwhp and 551 rwtq
These runs were on a completely stock LS1 with STS turbo system and no other modifications or tuning."

"With the turbo so far back, don't you get a lot of turbo lag?
No, our turbochargers are sized to operate at this remote location. Just like any turbocharger, once the turbo is up to temperature and in the rpm range for which it was designed to operate. The boost comes on hard and fast. All of our systems will produce full boost below 3000 rpm. "

"How is the turbo lubricated?
Our system uses the engines pressurized oiling system to supply the turbocharger. This pressurized oil travels approximately 12 feet through tubing which dissipates heat out of the oil just like an oil cooler to provide cool oil to the turbocharger. The oil is then scavanged from the turbocharger via an electric oil pump which returns the oil to the engines valve cover through another long length of tubing which again cools down the turbo-heated oil before entering the engine."

"Is a turbo timer or prelube device necessary with your system?
No, the turbocharger temperatures on our systems are approximately 500F cooler than turbo temps on conventional systems so the oil doesn't get hot enough to carbonize in the turbocharger bearings. With the turbocharger located where it is exposed to ambient air rather than trapped under the hood, the turbocharger quickly cools down as well so cool down times after runs don't need to be 5 to 10 minutes. As far as prelubrication, our system incorporates our "Wet Start" system which keeps oil at the turbo inlet at all times so that the turbocharger has an instant oil supply at start up."

I had the same doubts about this system when I first saw it. Garret came out to STS and designed a turbo specifically for their application. Its for a fairly stock stetup. This isn't for an all our 20 psi application. For $3500 total and 4 hours in your driveway, you can add quite a bit of horsepower. All other turbo systems run around $6000-7500 plus installation and most people blow the motor within a few months. They also have a progressive methenol injection kit that you can buy that lets you run a couple more PSI on pump gas with the stock LS1/LT1. There is a guy down here in lauderdale that has the kit on a stock LT1 and putting down well over 400 hp. Not bad considering the lt1 was probably only putting out about 250 horse without the turbo kit.

I know a guy running that on his lt1 camaro. It makes 5#'s and his best run has been 12.9x. I would've expected more from it.

1 of 1035,

Yeah, that doesn't sound too good. My brother's 97 SS lt1 ragtop has run a best of 13.4 @102 with nothing more than a cold air kit and 1le bellows. With a 75 shot he ran 111 mph.

Your guy should be close to the 11s with that setup.

i think its better than na, but i would much rather have a up next to the engine where it belongs. if you wanted it to spool fast enough you would need pretty small exhaust pipes to rasie the speed of the air to push the turbo, then the compressed air going to the turbo would simply take a long time to get ther, if there only running 5-8 # on that set up, imagine what it would be if you took the exact same turbo and put it close to the engine, i bet it would be in the range of 50-20#, just from the ineffecency of the pipes. great stealth looks though, you would never guess it has a turbo.

i do like the idea of not having to have a muffler, the turbo would do the job of a muffler, and thers no need for an espensive downpipe, just exhaust tips, and vent the wastegate to open air. i would say not an entirerly bad idea, but why not put it up a notch in the floor board, say under the passenger seat and run the turbo there? it woudl still be unseen, not need an ic, but have less distance to the engine? I'd still rather have it up next to the engine...

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
1 of 1035,

Yeah, that doesn't sound too good. My brother's 97 SS lt1 ragtop has run a best of 13.4 @102 with nothing more than a cold air kit and 1le bellows. With a 75 shot he ran 111 mph.

Your guy should be close to the 11s with that setup.

The first time I saw the car I thought it was at least a high 11 car. He said his usual runs are in the low 13's and he only broke into the 12's once. Not worth the money to me.

The problem with putting it under the hood is finding a place for it. There isn't any room under the hood of those cars.

your guy must have some problems then. Like I said, my brother is in the mid/low 13's NA. His 13.4 run was in 90 degree weather with 5 year old BFG DRs and a 2.2 60'.

I dont see it working out as far as power goes but I bet it will put some $ in the guys pocket who is selling it.

people will sell you anything thats why we have brains to figure out if its worth it and my little brain is saying NOPE

btw my buddys 2001 firehawk runs 11.40's now and the motor has never been touched and no power adders ;)

I was skeptical too. But, the fact that a guy down here went from 250 hp to 400 rwhp with 5 psi seems to tell me that it does work.

Red...

What's the Firehawk got that puts it in the 11.40's? He's gotta have something he hasn't told you about.

Its probably not what it has in it, but what it doesn't have in it. Probably looks like that 16 second ricer they put in the 13s without adding anything. The only thing the ricer was lacking was a hood, trunklid, fenders, doors, front and rear bumpers, interior, dash etc!!! ;)

Originally posted by TylerDurden
Guys this was posted a few months ago I believe, personally I think its a lame idea, first off, our turbo's use exhaust pressure (heat) to make it spin so fast, the exhaust at the tail pipe is not nearly has hot or producing as much energy, now the intake side has a similar problem, think of it this way, the more tubing you have, the more volume of air you have to push at any given moment, or how fast do you think you could push a shopping cart? now how fast do you think you could push 20??? I would put money on this think making a car slower....but hey i could be wrong

I have to agree with Dan on this one. Many of the hotairs that were going to intercooling used a setup with a lot of plumbing to get the boost to the IC and back. Granted, this doesn't need to run through an IC, but I could imagine they run into similar problems of loosing boost and performance over all that plumbing. I'll stick to it being under the hood.

:D NOPE IT HAS ALL VISABLE BODY PARTS

it may be a stock motor but thats about all thats stock

I dont think there's any stock suspention parts left.. all tubular

it even has a roll bar in it but its chromoly

latest addition was switching to strange brakes on all 4 corners since they were lighter

of course a good built tranny and converter

12 bolt rear

geez you name it its probly done

he has goodies laying around for the motor but wont put them on since he is after the fastest LS1 stock internal motor record which I think is around 11.20 or so ...not far to go now by first of season it should be able to take the record

It does have racing seats in it but so do alot of low 11 sec cars besides Buicks :)

Back