You can type here any text you want

Turbo SBC powered Supra!!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Steve,

I am not sure what to make of that...

It's different for sure. Gotta give the guy credit for at least being brave enough to do this swap and post up pics on the internet where other Supra owners will see this;) :biggrin: :eek:

why not just use the supra motor, its just as strong if not stronger than a SBC, thumbs down for me.

why not just use the supra motor, its just as strong if not stronger than a SBC, thumbs down for me.

This car is local to me the guy that owns it wants to run our index classes.... so the biggest reason was for class rules :D

A friend of mine is building a 434 LSX twin turbo motor for his Supra right now. His car is built for True 10.5/Limtied Street heads up racing. His 2JZ motor made 1300hp but that just wasn't enough to run with the big dogs in the heads up races so he is converting over. The motor is being built by Nelson Racing Engines and should be around 2K hp mark!:eek: Its no different than some of the turbo Buicks guys converting over to SBC for heads up racing classes, it all comes down to HP potential and cost.

Nope no Supra hater here! My buddy's car is one of the sharpest cars I have seen. It went 10.04 @ 139 years ago with a 100% stock long block on 26X10 slicks full weight daily driver trim. He then decided to go heads up racing and 1300hp just wouldn't cut it for what he was trying to do so enter LSX motor! I will try to get a couple pics of his car and post them, its awesome! Now I must admit that I do get a kick out of guys running turbos bigger than 7 second shootout cars have and running 12's with them!

Here are a couple of pics of my buddy's Supra. Note the airbag deployment in the second pic. The yoke broke off the diff during the burnout and the driveshaft hit the floorpan and set off both air bags! :eek: He has had some bad luck this year but I think he will be back with a vengance next year!

Attachments

• adam.jpg
    adam.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 312
  • adamab.jpg
    adamab.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 2,106
Wow, pics are ending up everywhere ;)

Thanks for the comments good and bad. It's def not for everyone. In a time when even 3.4L stroker supras with 88mm turbos is getting "common", I had to think of a way to REALLY shake things up.

And as others have posted, it was also built to fit many of the drag radial classes here in the north east...and I really needed :D 2300hp!

This is def not an off the shelf chevy motor with a few upgrades. You could throw this motor in a 10.5 outlaw car and be very competitive :)

seeya at the track,
Jay

Why not put a Supra motor in it? well, why does someone put a SBC in a Turbo Buick? For the same reason I guess to go a lot faster.... You could run nearly 1300 hp on pump gas for one. Second, one could run 2000+ hp on race gas. The V6 will certainly make a lot of hp since we have all seen 7 and 8 sec. Supras but with 2 extra cylinders your just gonna run more power....period!

It's not a street car. Neither is any of the 7 and 8 second supras. So who really cares whats in it when ur a hard core class racer. Its just about times. None of the cars running those HP levels have factory motors. They all put giant cubic inch motors in them.

I think the car badass. First time I have seen a swap like that.

Why not put a Supra motor in it? well, why does someone put a SBC in a Turbo Buick? For the same reason I guess to go a lot faster.... You could run nearly 1300 hp on pump gas for one. Second, one could run 2000+ hp on race gas. The V6 will certainly make a lot of hp since we have all seen 7 and 8 sec. Supras but with 2 extra cylinders your just gonna run more power....period!

It's not a street car. Neither is any of the 7 and 8 second supras. So who really cares whats in it when ur a hard core class racer. Its just about times. None of the cars running those HP levels have factory motors. They all put giant cubic inch motors in them.

I think the car badass. First time I have seen a swap like that.

I agree with u on the power issue, bigger motor = more hp ! But I'm a purist & would never put an 8 into my TR ! Same goes for the Supra...I'd keep the 2JZ. BTW the professionally built 2JZ Can put down 1700 + hp...more than any V6 Buick (LC2 or S2). Just ask Kenny Duttweiler, he did an article for Turbo Magazine some time ago on this same matter.

I agree with u on the power issue, bigger motor = more hp ! But I'm a purist & would never put an 8 into my TR ! Same goes for the Supra...I'd keep the 2JZ. BTW the professionally built 2JZ Can put down 1700 + hp...more than any V6 Buick (LC2 or S2). Just ask Kenny Duttweiler, he did an article for Turbo Magazine some time ago on this same matter.

I'm pretty certain there have been a few Stage2 motors that Duttweiler built as well as a few other builders that were close to 1700hp. Know for a fact Kenny has built a few that made 1600+. It's important to note that the 2JZ motors that Duttweiler has built for Titan Motorsports were Methanol engines and to the best of my knowledge nobody has ever built a max-effort Stage2 on Methanol meaning the Stage2's were making 1600+ on Gasoline.

I absolutely love our cars, but a V6 isn't going to keep up in most Outlaw based heads up racing.

I absolutely love our cars, but a V6 isn't going to keep up in most Outlaw based heads up racing.

No doubt! I think the best one could hope for with a V6 in the Outlaw stuff is to make it into the show (qualify) and even that is not an easy task with all of the nasty V8 combinations. Even with a weight break in most cases it's basically like bringing a knife to a gun fight. It also doesn't help that things have really gotten out of hand when one needs 2000+ HP to go Drag Radial racing and be competitive!:eek:

Back