You can type here any text you want

turbo smoke

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jimski

In over my head
Very curious, why do these turbo's blow oil smoke. details would be great.

Wear, dirt, oil pressure too high with the wrong viscosity, a bad rebuild or just a bad build on a turbocharger.
The most oil consumption I've ever seen with these turbo's is the turbine sealing ring will wear the center housing out in it's bore.

Wear, dirt, oil pressure too high with the wrong viscosity, a bad rebuild or just a bad build on a turbocharger.
The most oil consumption I've ever seen with these turbo's is the turbine sealing ring will wear the center housing out in it's bore.

Im rebuilding another,but the one im running is not smoking today. Once in a blue it smokes Weird. Was wondering how it could possibly smoke like this intermittinly.Maybe wear like u said.But then again put mobile one 10/30 synthetic in there and jsut one day happened to notice smoke out the pipes.So maybe viscosity hmmmm....:confused: The mystery continues

The only time I've been able to get one of these turbo's to smoke at will was to let it build up a good vacuum on a downhill or deacceleration and the vacuum of the engine would pull some oil past the compressor seal but once the vacuum dropped or if it went into boost it would seal back up and not smoke. I still stick with thicker oils in my engine for turbo and heat protection and it helps keep the turbo sealed up.

Sounds like the carbon seal is out Jim. Standard rebuild should take car of it.

Kinda on the topic, my turbo needs a new carbon seal probably. My engine had 3 spun rod berrings and a bunch of trash in the pan so im going to guarentee somthing got in the turbo. Turbo was tight and spun good though.

What all should be done on a turbo rebuild. Theres a turbo rebuilder about a hour away from me that works with mostly truck and tractor turbos. I know for sure new seals and berrings and to get the wheels balanced but is there anything else?

I get white smoke all the time and my oil burns at like a quart every 200 miles. The rings have had to seal and the heads seal good. Only other option is the turbo, I hope....

my suggestion when rebuilding your unit is to clean clean clean, and clean some more. you want that thing absolutly spotless inside. particularly in the thrust bearing area.

Other than that, if your blowing smoke that baddly, it definitly needs a rebuild. However, I have seen the drains clog before, so give that a quick look.

A.j.

Kinda on the topic, my turbo needs a new carbon seal probably. My engine had 3 spun rod berrings and a bunch of trash in the pan so im going to guarentee somthing got in the turbo. Turbo was tight and spun good though.

What all should be done on a turbo rebuild. Theres a turbo rebuilder about a hour away from me that works with mostly truck and tractor turbos. I know for sure new seals and berrings and to get the wheels balanced but is there anything else?

I get white smoke all the time and my oil burns at like a quart every 200 miles. The rings have had to seal and the heads seal good. Only other option is the turbo, I hope....

Doing the rebuild isn't hard, just tedious. Like Aj said, clean everything in the extreme. Since you had bearing trash you need to do a rebuild. If you need a kit semd me a PM and I'll send you a link. Parts are $80 with shipping and you send the shaft and wheels to them for free balancing. Then you can get the guy to put it together if you want.

Just make sure you get the right seals. A draw-thru turbo sees vacuum and this can suck oil past the seals. Most noticeable after starting off after a long decelerating as WarWagon mentions (like stopping and starting at a stop sign).

84/85 stock turbo V6s draw-thru a throttle body. 86/87 blow-thru and use different style seals.

my case is like when it idles for like 15 minutes oil must build up in the exhaust side of the turbo and then when i rev it up smokes till it burns up then stops. but it has not done it lately ? ill pull it out when i get the balanced shaft back from the turbo shop.and have a good look at it.

It is pretty much going to be high milage on it had this setup for a long time now.

Sounds like the carbon seal is out Jim. Standard rebuild should take car of it.

Carbon seal on the compressor side,maybe.I was figuring on the exhaust side there was an oil leak since it is white smoke not blue.Blue smoke means oil gets burned in the combustion chamber,white it is heated up not burned.

Carbon seal on the compressor side,maybe.I was figuring on the exhaust side there was an oil leak since it is white smoke not blue.Blue smoke means oil gets burned in the combustion chamber,white it is heated up not burned.

are you sure about that Jim?

if its blowing out the turbine side it will be blue as well.... the turbine is a hot bastard. i would pull the downpipe and confirm oil residue on the turbine.

white would be steam.....

A.j.

are you sure about that Jim?

if its blowing out the turbine side it will be blue as well.... the turbine is a hot bastard. i would pull the downpipe and confirm oil residue on the turbine.

white would be steam.....

A.j.

The smoke is like heated oil try put oil in a metal cup and heat it up smokes white stinky oil smoke.It is not doing it today thou only sometimes.There is residue in the dual exhaust well at least it will not rust from the inside out.just like this i guess it is blue but in real life looks white http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KmiJ4rnSJs

If that's your car then it's oil, no questions asked. It's not white enough to be water. You need to go ahead and rebuild the tubo Jim.

If that's your car then it's oil, no questions asked. It's not white enough to be water. You need to go ahead and rebuild the tubo Jim.

got the balanced shaft today from the turbo shop.Ill pull the smokey turbo out ans swap it with the rebuilt unit.

I was just so curious to why they blow oil smoke still a mystery till i pull it apart.when pull the unit apart oil flows over the bearings and down to the engine it does not fill with oil to cause it to leak.Or maybe it does fill with oil

Well get to swapping Jim. Happy new year. There a newby in your city that could use your help if you feel like it. He's got an NA 85 and has no clue on how to work on it. He posted in the general section I think.

Well get to swapping Jim. Happy new year. There a newby in your city that could use your help if you feel like it. He's got an NA 85 and has no clue on how to work on it. He posted in the general section I think.

you goit his handle ill contact him

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/be...d-some-project-encouragement-just-update.html

Take a look and see if you can help him. I'm a little to far away so it's kinda hard to do it for me. Thanks.

He has tinker toys problems i pmed him.Yo charlie while im chatting with you got the balanced shaft back from turbos r us.put everything togheter,had trouble lining up the balance mark with the compressor wheel.

Figured out i had to move wheel back before the mark as i tighting it up it lined right up. Ok now got everthing back togheter. There is still very minimal play up and down when i mean minimal i mean minimal no in and out thou.Does the bolt have to be cranked more tight.I cranked it down nice thou..

The turbo will have some slight play in it Jim. That's normal. Don't try to tighten it any more.

Back