TURBO TOO BIG? Slow/no boost

I wish I had a GN to Compare With. I just feel that even with a factory drive train it should pull harder. Mini vans accelerate faster than me....and I can hear my turbo trying to maybe do something but not feelin it

Do you have a aftermarket boost gauge, how much psi are you seeing ? My car wasn't building boost when I changed out the turbo, chased it for a few days and it wound up being that the bolts on the actuator bracket were loose causing the entire actuator to move instead of just the rod. May not be your issue but just something to check.

def wo
Do you have a aftermarket boost gauge, how much psi are you seeing ? My car wasn't building boost when I changed out the turbo, chased it for a few days and it wound up being that the bolts on the actuator bracket were loose causing the entire actuator to move instead of just the rod. May not be your issue but just something to check.
def worth a check. I have an aftermarket reproduction GNX Cluster. and the max im seeing is like 10? but it doesn't really do diddly even when im hittin 10 psi

You need to verify what turbo you really have. A lot of people throw numbers out there and don't know what they mean, The 63 might be the AR on the exhaust housing, and that is what people think they have, the stage 3 might be a stage 3 turbonetics cheetah, or might be a stage 3 turbine, which is small and would work with a near stock converter. Your issues might be more fuel related. There are a lot of things that will cause slow spool up.

Are you sure your converter is a 2800 stall?
Do that power brake and note the rpm where the tires break loose and spin.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk
Checked it this morning tetires start pullin loose at 2,000 rpm and it is not attempting to build boost of any sorts while doing that

I believe its a cheetah. B
You need to verify what turbo you really have. A lot of people throw numbers out there and don't know what they mean, The 63 might be the AR on the exhaust housing, and that is what people think they have, the stage 3 might be a stage 3 turbonetics cheetah, or might be a stage 3 turbine, which is small and would work with a near stock converter. Your issues might be more fuel related. There are a lot of things that will cause slow spool up.
I believe its a cheetah bought it over 10 years ago. Ok so lets just back way up and go withthe turbo sucks. Now my next question would be lets say i have stock everything. What would be a good affordable turbo to run in this car with a good low/mid range spool up? Possibly a little bit better than a factory Sorry im new to the turbo game, im learning as i go and trying to not break anything while doing so

Sounds like a 2k stall converter to me.

So what would be a good turbo setup for this thing? Something a lil more heavy duty than factory would be nice

Heads ported?
I'd like more info on cam. 266 duration isn't adding up for me.
I think a different converter would do wonders. Ptc, David husek , Bison or one of our venders I'm sure can get you what you need. It will be like a different car.
Other scan master data? Fuel pressure rising 1:1 with boost. No vacuum and header leaks.
Takes a lot going right forbonebof these cars to lay down good numbers.

More than likely, it will be a mismatch if just changing the turbo. But for a 2000 stall, a stock turbo or a 58mm from Bison would work well. Heck, even a 2000 stall is too tight for a stock turbo which is why the car feels like a 3 legged dawg. :eek:

Not real sure of the cam as the posted specs don't mean much and I am furthering my education on the subject . . . But the cam will want more than stock rpm to be happy, and the 2000rpm converter will pull it out of its range. This is my understanding . . .

Fact is:
When it comes to converter, turbo, cam, tires or final ratio, bigger is typically not better.

My advice: Reach out to a board vendor and buy everything from one person. The vendors k ow their craft and wint steer you wrong. Be carefull not to buy/shop based on price, or for parts to piece it together. Purchase a combo.

Good luck.

More than likely, it will be a mismatch if just changing the turbo. But for a 2000 stall, a stock turbo or a 58mm from Bison would work well. Heck, even a 2000 stall is too tight for a stock turbo which is why the car feels like a 3 legged dawg. :eek:

Not real sure of the cam as the posted specs don't mean much and I am furthering my education on the subject . . . But the cam will want more than stock rpm to be happy, and the 2000rpm converter will pull it out of its range. This is my understanding . . .

Fact is:
When it comes to converter, turbo, cam, tires or final ratio, bigger is typically not better.

My advice: Reach out to a board vendor and buy everything from one person. The vendors k ow their craft and wint steer you wrong. Be carefull not to buy/shop based on price, or for parts to piece it together. Purchase a combo.

Good luck.
Everything came from poston buick :( except the cam seeing as how their junk one i had wiped. So i had to get a comp cam. But all the internals are from them. My machinist threw away their junk valve springs and head gaskets. But the ross racing pistons and the converter and the eagle rods were all atleast thru poston and now we all know where they are today. Poston pretty much built this car from body pieces to interior pieces. Ill get the comp cam specs and post on here shortly.

Heads ported?
I'd like more info on cam. 266 duration isn't adding up for me.
I think a different converter would do wonders. Ptc, David husek , Bison or one of our venders I'm sure can get you what you need. It will be like a different car.
Other scan master data? Fuel pressure rising 1:1 with boost. No vacuum and header leaks.
Takes a lot going right forbonebof these cars to lay down good numbers.

Fuel pressure is raising as t should.no exhaust leaks. Ive smoke tested it and checked maticulously. I posted a link to the comp cam specs. I hope it helps. Thank all yall fer your input and willin tohelp

Cam looks fine. Might be a little big but I doubt it is holding you back. Timing set? New? Cam straight up or advanced? Was is degreed in?
Fuel pressure with vac line off?
Chip? Injectors?

I would verify the converter first , more then likely that's the issue, unless its an old Tnetics cast 66mm which would be slow to spool with a 12"converter.
You also could be out of injectors and fuel or possible exhaust header leaks

Sounds like the converter is not what you think it is. It's probably nowhere near 2800 stall. Not sure on that turbo either. If it were me I'd be looking at a matched set-turbo and converted.