You can type here any text you want

Turbo Tweak AXiS

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1984 t-type

Murphy's Law
Just wondering if anyone was using this yet or heard any feedback on it. I'm curious how it compares to the translator.

It's brand new, so only a couple out there.

This is for the guys that want to keep tuning simple. No menu's or laptops, just little dials in the box. You can adjust fuel and spark at the low end and WOT. Spark control is done through the airtemp input (you will no longer read airtemp).

It can work as a basic Translator with any chip (spark control and WOT fuel won't work though). The AXiS Interface is basically one step up from a basic Translator.

I have made a special chip for it, the AXiS chip, which enables all the features of the AXiS box. In keeping with the "keep it simple" approach, the chip has NO user adjustable parameters, no worry about disconnecting the battery. The AXiS chip will read to 512 gr/sec, which is good for about mid 10's. You only need one chip for street or race, as you can just dial the spark advance up or down in the box.

The AXiS chip is currently only made for 60lb and 80lb injectors. I will do a couple more calibrations over the summer, probably for 42's and not sure what else yet.

If you still want some adjustable features in the chip, you can get an Extender Extreme chip, but it needs to be special ordered for the AXiS. It will read to 768gr/sec.

Here's a link to the instructions if you want to check it out: http://www.turbotweak.com/axis_interface.pdf

Here a link to it in my webstore: http://www.turbotweakstore.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=3

AXIS-1-2.jpg

By the way, it's plug and play for the 3" LT1 and 3.5" LS1 MAF sensors, except for the spark control wire. Since the spark control is fairly important, I would really rather have that wire permanently attached, rather than rely on the old plug.

Can I use a extreme chip burned for a gen 2 translator or would it need to be re flashed

To take full advantage of all the features, the chip needs to be specifically made for the AXiS.

A hotair car would need to add the airtemp wire if you want to use the spark control feature.

this is very cool like a simpler version of the Gen2 if you wanted to adjust 1-2 gear fueling and timing an extender chip is required?

Yes. I currently have the AXiS chip set up with 2 degrees extra in the lower gears already. It comes with a standard 19/17 degrees (varies with RPM a bit), then you can tweak overall timing in the AXiS box.

It's brand new, so only a couple out there.

This is for the guys that want to keep tuning simple. No menu's or laptops, just little dials in the box. You can adjust fuel and spark at the low end and WOT. Spark control is done through the airtemp input (you will no longer read airtemp).

It can work as a basic Translator with any chip (spark control and WOT fuel won't work though). The AXiS Interface is basically one step up from a basic Translator.

I have made a special chip for it, the AXiS chip, which enables all the features of the AXiS box. In keeping with the "keep it simple" approach, the chip has NO user adjustable parameters, no worry about disconnecting the battery. The AXiS chip will read to 512 gr/sec, which is good for about mid 10's. You only need one chip for street or race, as you can just dial the spark advance up or down in the box.

The AXiS chip is currently only made for 60lb and 80lb injectors. I will do a couple more calibrations over the summer, probably for 42's and not sure what else yet.

If you still want some adjustable features in the chip, you can get an Extender Extreme chip, but it needs to be special ordered for the AXiS. It will read to 768gr/sec.

Here's a link to the instructions if you want to check it out: http://www.turbotweak.com/axis_interface.pdf

Here a link to it in my webstore: http://www.turbotweakstore.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=3

View attachment 255754
Eric, does the AXiS chip have features like fast update patch, antistall, false knock ignore, etc. built in?

The Axis chip is basically my 5.7 chip without any adjustable features, but I added the 512gr/sec capability, and the timing control.

So it has all those features you mentioned still built in. Fast update would have to be requested.

The Axis chip is basically my 5.7 chip without any adjustable features, but I added the 512gr/sec capability, and the timing control.

So it has all those features you mentioned still built in. Fast update would have to be requested.
Understood. Appreciate the response.

Eric, I'm intrigued by this translator, ever since another forum member mentioned it. I like the simplicity comparable to the original MAF translator. I'm at the point of deciding which translator to buy, but don't expect to buy 60# injectors until a lot of other supporting upgrades are done...such as a proper TT chip for street gas, for example.

Are there plans for this to work with the stock injectors, by any chance? If so, I'd be buying one right now to finish building up my custom 3.5" intake.

The Axis box itself will work with any injectors. You can use it just like a basic Translator by setting the switches inside it. That way, you can use any chip for stock injectors, you just won't have the WOT fuel and timing control, but the low end fuel control will still work. I just haven't made an Axis chip for the stock injectors yet.

So, in other words, you can buy an Axis and use it as a basic Translator for now, then upgrade later by flipping a switch inside when you install the Axis chip.

Eric

Hi guys, I wanted to revisit this topic...last summer when Eric last commented here, I was researching all the things I needed/wanted for an intake I'm building myself. I'll be running a 3.5" LS1 MAF and running a 3.5" intake pipe up to the turbo inlet (most intakes I've seen are 3" up to the turbo). This summer I have the budget for a chip and MAF translator to complete this mod. If I understood all that I read about this, here are the pros & cons; please correct or confirm if I have anything wrong. I am currently running stock injectors but will upgrade to 60# injectors at some point in the future. I'm running 91/92 octane premium pump gas.

Axis translator & Axis chip combo:
Pros: The most plug & play system ("KISS"); should work with stock injectors; won't lose tune info if battery disconnected; combo is cheaper than buying MAF translator + TT chip separately.
Cons: Limited adjustability.

MAF translator & TT chip v5.7:
Pros: More adjustability.
Cons: Costs more; tune info lost if battery disconnected (without buying the $50 Tune Saver).

So given that info, is there anybody here who has used the Axis box & chip combo with a GN running stock injectors who can provide some input on how it works? It seems like the best option to go with even if sacrificing some adjustability. Is there any reason *not* to buy the Axis combo?

Thanks for the help.

I don't make an Axis chip for stock injectors, so no one is using that combo.

However, you can use the Axis like a basic Translator and change to the Axis chip later when you switch to 60's.

Eric

Thanks for the reply, Eric. Last June, in this topic you mentioned you might calibrate for injectors other than 60# & 80#, I was hoping you might've got around to that. :)

So I guess the bottom line is I need a TT chip, regardless of which translator box I choose. Next question: If I buy the Classic v5.7 Street Chip burned for stock injectors, will I need a new chip later when I eventually get around to upgrading the injectors?

Hi guys, I wanted to revisit this topic...last summer when Eric last commented here, I was researching all the things I needed/wanted for an intake I'm building myself. I'll be running a 3.5" LS1 MAF and running a 3.5" intake pipe up to the turbo inlet (most intakes I've seen are 3" up to the turbo). This summer I have the budget for a chip and MAF translator to complete this mod. If I understood all that I read about this, here are the pros & cons; please correct or confirm if I have anything wrong. I am currently running stock injectors but will upgrade to 60# injectors at some point in the future. I'm running 91/92 octane premium pump gas.

Axis translator & Axis chip combo:
Pros: The most plug & play system ("KISS"); should work with stock injectors; won't lose tune info if battery disconnected; combo is cheaper than buying MAF translator + TT chip separately.
Cons: Limited adjustability.

MAF translator & TT chip v5.7:
Pros: More adjustability.
Cons: Costs more; tune info lost if battery disconnected (without buying the $50 Tune Saver).

So given that info, is there anybody here who has used the Axis box & chip combo with a GN running stock injectors who can provide some input on how it works? It seems like the best option to go with even if sacrificing some adjustability. Is there any reason *not* to buy the Axis combo?

Thanks for the help.
You pretty much got it covered. I've been running the AXiS Translator and chip for about 8 months now. My only concern at first was that I'd lose the ability to adjust 1st gear WOT fuel and timing in low gear. As it turns out I don't miss it as much as I thought I would. Keep in mind I don't race my car but someone who does might want the added adjustability. In the end, I'm happy with the unit and would recommend one for anyone who does not need/want the full menu of adjustability a TT chip has to offer. The AXiS controller is also slimmer which may provide more mounting options and just looks better to me.

To your question in your last post, you won't necessarily need to purchase a new TT chip when you upgrade your injectors but you will have to send your old TT chip back to Eric for an "update". I believe chip updates are free if you do it within one year of purchase.

Back