Turbo V6 Camaro

Jon Early

Dec 4, 2014
Franklin, IN
That was my thought. I wouldn't think that I'd have that problem until I was actually making boost... I was told by my first tuner that the MAF scaling in a Camaro PCM is not as versatile as other cars, but John didn't mention anything about it. Plus, my wideband goes really rich when the popping starts, so I wouldn't think that was it. I'm going to the garage now.

kshef

Sep 6, 2003
CA
I'd look into the tune. I've never had spark blow out problems even with near stock gap up to 24 psi. This is with a little 50 mm turbo though so may not be apples to apples. These motors seem to be less sensitive to plugs than in GNs.

Only time I experienced popping or break up was when the alky would kick in and go super rich. Leaning it out fixed the problem.

Reactions: fast86gn

Jon Early

Dec 4, 2014
Franklin, IN
I lowered my gap down to .035" and put the 8 psi spring in my waste gate. Holy cow does the car scoot now! I still get some popping when I'm at about 8 psi, but I didn't mean to take it that high anyway. Instead of closing the gap again, I'm just going to lower the boost a little. I didn't see any KR and the wide band was still looking rich, so I should be pretty safe anyway.

fast86gn

Texas Moderator
Staff member
Sep 28, 2001
Garland,Texas
www.lspbc.org
Sounds like it's better then? Still shouldn't be popping at 8lbs of boost though. Talk to John again on the tune, Kyle is right and his Turbo PA is pretty cool.

Jon Early

Dec 4, 2014
Franklin, IN
Soooooooo...

I'm gonna hold off a bit before I call John. It turns out that I have a bit of a mechanical issue! While testing some things out I was easing in to the throttle nice and smooth and as soon as I hit a couple psi my rpms just went through the roof. I knew I was on borrowed time with this clutch, but I thought I would have more time than this. Parts should be here the day before I'm supposed to cruise a portion of Power Tour. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well, and a couple of my big concerns go away.

Jon Early

Dec 4, 2014
Franklin, IN
It's hard to believe that I had the transmission out of my car three days ago, but I was cruising Power Tour yesterday! Although the car made it home, it is not healthy. Somewhere along the way, it developed an issue. I noticed that the wide band was displaying very rich at cruise (about 8.5:1), and the bank 2 fuel trims were not really moving like they're supposed to. I pulled over, checked each exhaust runner with my temp gun, and saw that cylinder 5 was over 100 degrees cooler than the others. This is kinda odd to me since I thought the odd cylinders were bank 1. Anyway, I was okay with rich and my fluids looked good, so I continued on to the track. From there I started hearing a snapping noise coming from the driver side of the car that resembled the sound of a bad plug wire. I have today off, so I'm going to use this time to do some actual investigation.

By the way, my friends cars aren't THAT lame. The Lexus is LS1 and T56 swapped, and the Ranger has a factory equipped Mitsubishi turbo diesel and an added intercooler. We're hoping to upgrade the turbo on it pretty soon! Despite the breakage, we all had a great time.

Reactions: fast86gn

Jon Early

Dec 4, 2014
Franklin, IN
Update: I had a brain fart. I got my cylinder numbers mixed up. Cylinder 6 is the cold one which is on bank 2. Here are the results from my compression test yesterday.

I almost forgot about the snapping noise I kept hearing. I'm thinking that I need to pick up a spark tester and give that wire a work out. Unfortunately, I can only hear the snapping under load, so I can't find any issues just idling in the driveway. I'll keep playing.

Jon Early

Dec 4, 2014
Franklin, IN
The numbers are consistent that's good. I would change all of the plug wires.
I'd hate to do that right away since I made them myself only a couple months ago... However, that does remind me that I should check their resistance! Maybe one of my connections wasn't made very tight. Thanks! I know what I'm doing next.

Jon Early

Dec 4, 2014
Franklin, IN
I rechecked my plug wires, and they all tested less than Taylor's spec of 350 ohms per foot. I figured maybe I should just test drive the car again to see what happens, and I'll set up the scan gauge to read LTFTs for both banks to see if I'm crazy. Either I fixed the problem or it's intermittent because after a 60ish mile drive I did not have a single issue. I was able to go into boost and it ran super smoothly in-town and on the interstate. All the exhaust runners were within about 20 degrees of each other when I pulled back into the driveway. Weird. I'm going to call John at Intense tomorrow and see if there are any small modifications I should consider before taking it to the dyno. I know he wasn't exactly a fan of some of the parts I chose, so maybe he'll have some recommendations on how to get the most bang for my buck.

Top Bottom