Turbo V6 Camaro

MCH86GN

I'm afraid this project has come to a close. I knew this shell was completely roached, but I didn't think it was quite to this extent. After beating on the frame rails with a hammer a little bit....
View attachment 350041

View attachment 350042
That'll do it!

For now I think the plan is to keep all the good parts I made, and scrap the rest. Maybe I'll find a nice roller to swap this unit into, but I think this is the end for the "LAME V6".
I very seriously doubt it the guy still have the 2000 Firebird, but I can check. If he still has it, it is garage kept, never driven in the winter, never driven in the rain unless the weather changed and it had drop top. It had 65k miles the last I looked. He wanted $6k for the car, which everyone told me was a ripoff, but given the condition it probably wasn't. I explained to him though, no matter how well kept the car was they just didn't retain their value.
As a matter of fact, the only way I would've bought the car would have been if I had a place to story it during the winter and rainy weather. Originally I was going to buy it and turbo charge it, but it was in such great shape I didn't want to ruin it.

I can also check around here in SE Michigan, if you'd like. I just got my exhaust fixed and rear window regulators on my 2000 Regal GS. coming home tonight. See how far I can take it with the Gen. V blower and other mods, then rebuilt 3800 goes in with a turbo.

MCH86GN

I'm afraid this project has come to a close. I knew this shell was completely roached, but I didn't think it was quite to this extent. After beating on the frame rails with a hammer a little bit....
View attachment 350041

View attachment 350042
That'll do it!

For now I think the plan is to keep all the good parts I made, and scrap the rest. Maybe I'll find a nice roller to swap this unit into, but I think this is the end for the "LAME V6".
What a bummer!

Jon Early

I appreciate the thought, but after some more poking around I decided to keep working on this car.

The thing is that the only reason I built an F-body at all was because of the sentimental attachment I had to THIS Camaro. I actually generally dislike fourth gen F-bodies, so even if swapping the body makes sense from a labor standpoint it would just ruin the whole vibe I had going here.

As corroded as it looks, further inspection with my bore scope revealed very solid mounting points for the K-member. I would also have very easy access to the rotted section if I removed the K-member.... See where I'm going with this yet? I probably won't be driving this car like I stole it this year, but I'm going to finish the floors, reinstall the interior, get my catch can system set-up, and maybe even build an exhaust.

Once I get everything the way I want it, I'll probably buy a tubular K-member and an L32. Then I can disassemble the entire front of the car, restore the engine bay including the rusty frame rail, and reinstall everything with nicer, newer, and stronger parts.

Jon Early

Rust repair 1 2-18.jpg

This picture makes it look like there's a big gap, but the piece isn't exactly where it will be once it's welded in. I'm pretty proud of this fitment for only forming it with a vice, hammer and channel locks! :LOL::LOL:
Patch 2-20.jpg

Jon Early

I finally got to take a break from my Volvo headaches. I'm back to therapeutic garage activities.
Big pass patch 1 2-20.jpg

Big pass patch 2 2-20.jpg

I ran out of gas just before taking this pic. Holy crap though.... Since doing the other side, I have learned a lot. The angle grinder is a game changer, using the correct type of roloc pad instead of a wire wheel is a game changer, and using my step bit for drilling out spot welds is a game changer. Having the right tools for the job is always great. Now I kinda want to go to the other side of the car and correct my mistakes! I might as well. It's better than going back in there and doing it later. If I don't do it now that will be inevitable.

This simple air tool rack is also a game changer.
Garage back wall 2-20.jpg

A lot of people don't understand my love for hanging tools on the wall rather than putting them in drawers. I just find this a lot more convenient. Besides, the walls aren't being used for much else! I'm also much more likely to put things away when I can easily see the open spot on the wall. When you have two 170k+ mile daily drivers a GN and a restoration/racecar project, and only a two-car garage you better have your stuff organized really well. Otherwise, every little job will make you want to rip your hair out! The garage itself is like a whole other hobby in itself. That's a whole other topic though.

Since I ran out of shielding gas and I wasn't tired yet, I decided to start putting the braking system back together.
Master bench bleed.jpg

Master 2-20.jpg

Lol. Check out this rust hole that saved me from needing to reach my arm around the whole fender! Beaters for the win! :LOL:
Convenient rust lol.jpg

Prop valve 1 2-20.jpg

Prop valve 2 2-20.jpg

Right about here is where I wish that I had the engine out of the car. That would make the rest of this job sooo much easier. Oh well. I'll figure it out as always. I'm so glad I got all this done last night. I admit that I've been in an awful mood lately, but this small amount of progress turned me around.