You can type here any text you want

Turbobob or Bison question! 6266 and Extender chip

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

we4Mateo

Double you eee what?
I have 60lb injectors and run a pump gas/alky tune currently with a TE44 and Extender chip. I know the Extender chip is good to 512 g/sec of flow which converts to a little over 67 lbs/hour of air. I'd like to just keep this chip and my 3" LT1 MAF when I switch to a new 9:1 motor with mildly ported heads and a 6266. Won't a 6266 outflow 67 lbs/hour though? If so, do I need an extender extreme? New MAF too then?

Thanks in advance.

you can run the extreme with a 3" MAF, but should consider going to a 3.5" considering your HP goals.

Are you running alky? What injectors?

The main reason to go to the extreme is for 72lb and larger injectors, if you are sticking with the 60's then there is no need to change anything.

Bob

I run 60's with alky. I'm shooting for 20psi to make around 500rwhp. I'm sure I'll be fine in this scenario. But if I run some race gas with alky and work it up towards 30psi, I'm hoping to be pushing close to 600rwhp. This is the point I'm wondering if I'll be out of MAF reading. Maybe I'll be out of injector too so this may be a non-starter.

on gasoline you will run out of injectors and MAF at about the same spot (as you have surmised)

Bob

I suggest a larger MAF sensor at least, The 3" is not the right tool for that job

I agree with the above. The 6266 supports more than 67lbs/hr but it will take some boost on a typical iron head small hyd combo.

bison said:
I agree with the above. The 6266 supports more than 67lbs/hr but it will take some boost on a typical iron head small hyd combo.

Thanks everyone. What type of boost in a 231ish" engine at 9:1 with home ported heads would be needed to hit that 67lb/hr number?

Mike Licht said:
I suggest a larger MAF sensor at least, The 3" is not the right tool for that job

I've had such part throttle surge issues that I've been hesitant to put anything on it that helps the compressor flow easier; corks are good for lowering surge and top end hasn't suffered for me but the new setup may need something different. Thanks for your help.

we4Mateo said:
Thanks everyone. What type of boost in a 231ish" engine at 9:1 with home ported heads would be needed to hit that 67lb/hr number?

Depending on the valves used and the bowls and short radius I'd guess 28-33psi. If the heads were really well done id expect 67lbs/min@ 25-26psi. I had a cleaned up set of iron heads with stock valves and 7.5:1 CR with a slow ramp low lift 212 roller and it hit about 61-62lbs/min@30psi/5400rpm with a cast 60-1. 76-77lbs/min on the 9:1 engine in my black car with gn1 ported heads @28-29psi with a 6265. I'd probably use less turbine if I wanted to only go to 67lbs/min. It will be easier to control the boost when you want to run it at 55-60lbs/min. All mine were Mafless with no ported comp housings and no surge problems. Then again I rarely drive at quarter to half throttle. I've never seen a WOT surge problem on any car unless the compressor was very large with a small turbine and the converter coupling was low

bison said:
Depending on the valves used and the bowls and short radius I'd guess 28-33psi. If the heads were really well done id expect 67lbs/min@ 25-26psi. I had a cleaned up set of iron heads with stock valves and 7.5:1 CR with a slow ramp low lift 212 roller and it hit about 61-62lbs/min@30psi/5400rpm with a cast 60-1. 76-77lbs/min on the 9:1 engine in my black car with gn1 ported heads @28-29psi with a 6265. I'd probably use less turbine if I wanted to only go to 67lbs/min. It will be easier to control the boost when you want to run it at 55-60lbs/min. All mine were Mafless with no ported comp housings and no surge problems. Then again I rarely drive at quarter to half throttle. I've never seen a WOT surge problem on any car unless the compressor was very large with a small turbine and the converter coupling was low

I've been tossing around a 6262 in a ported cover as well, unless you can make me a wicked hybrid in a ported cover ;-) I just don't want to get choked out by the hotside like I am now with the te44 but you are correct that I want good boost control at lower mass flow as well. Decisions, decisions. Thanks for all the help none the less. What would be a good turbo that will max out around 67lbs/hr?

Or maybe I should just bite the bullet now and get 80s, extender extreme, and ls1 maf. Another board member offered up his setup as a package deal...

Back