You can type here any text you want

Turbocharging an NA longblock.......

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jdpolzin

I've always wanted to try it and I know plenty of people that have with other types of boosted applications but..........???? My idea comes from a very basic turbo budget build using "junk" parts I have laying around. I plan to accumulate all the parts to convert an NA Regal to a hot air set up. I have an NA longblock and turbo cam lined up already. Plan to use E85. I don't want to make an all out High HP car, obviously that wont happen anyways before Mass Destruction happens. What I'd like to do is just make a basic driver but fuel injected. Plan is to use the NA block, stock turbo cam, all stock HA parts, and a set of 50# injectors with E85. I'm just going to use the stock NA single exhaust, stock HA downpipe, no cat, and no muffler.

What I'd like to hear is, who's done it? What results have you seen? Obviously most people have probably used an IC set up, so I'd like to hear those results as well. How long did it last? Did you use 93, 93+Alky, e85? What boost levels? Just a general conversation, not really looking for extreme tech.

I know that some of the B4black guys have done it, but limited the boost to 12 lbs Jeremy.

If you want a "general conversation" about our turbo Buick V-6 blocks and builds with them, I will start out with my experience a hundred or more of them over the years, and my conclusion is the production blocks starting with the early 3.8 14 bolt pan version, the 4.1 and the 109 20 bolt type are all equal in the punishment and HP level before they give up.

If they are built proper for the level expected, you should have long and reliable service.

Personally I have punished a couple of 4.1 block in 2 of my cars, one street and one strip at 500+ and 600+ respectively , both on e-85, and have no issues other than an over rev to 8000 RPM when the trans let go.

I have purposely pushed my cars to find the weak area in the block, but for 3 years I have not even blown a head gasket which I expected.

My point is the V-6 Buick block will handled lots of HP if they are done properly in the build phase using the right parts for the desired performance level, and the supporting parts, including the tune, should give you reliable service.

I do not like, or trust, stock cranks in the 10's especially after 30 years exposed to lots of fatigue and flex, but stock pistons and rods have proven to do well there.

My comment to you is yes, I would trust a stock build like you outlined to meet and exceed your expectations. :)

Nick, Im talking about an N.A. complete longblock, not just the block itself.

There is a thread on here about someone who did this very thing. I can’t remember the details but i believe it was an unopened boosted longblock. I think TTAOWNER used to see it driving around and knew a little about said build but i could be wrong. From what i do remember it was holding up.

D

I remember hearing about one or two in the past that held up fine as well. I think with e85, it'll help quite a bit. I know of plenty of NA cranks that have been 10's. My biggest worry is the pistons.

Back