Turn Signal Lever

dwithers

I am about to replace my turn signal lever. Can anyone advise what all is involved?

Thanks

1st: unplug the wires under the dash near the steering column. You can pull the stalk straight out if you want to tug on the wires to make sure you have the right connector.
2nd: Tie some light wire (2-3') onto the wire connector attached to the stalk.
3rd: gently pull the stalk out so the wiring, along with your tied on wire, come up out of the column
4th: Untie your pull wire from the old stalk and tie it onto your new stalk wiring
5th: gently and patiently pull the wiring down the stalk and plug it in. Just press your new stalk into the column.

I have done this 3-4 times, and no major disassembly is needed when you do it this way.

Ken

Tell me what you think. My turn signals work, and my wipers work. However, my cruise does not nor does my windshield wiper squirters (for a lack of a better term).

I've checke the obvious like fuses, power to the cruise control, etc. All looks okay. My only other option is to replace the arm. Getting one off of ebay for $34.95.

Every time I've replaced a stalk it was for cosmetic reasons: the chrome-like coating peels off and the lettering disappears. It's possible that the cruise and washers are failing at the stalk, but I would bet against it. Did they both fail simultaneously?

From recollection, it seems that the washer is actuated by pushing on the paddle, but the actual switch is not part of the stalk that pulls out. I believe that switch is still inside the steering column.

I have also replaced a number of windshield washer pumps. They don't last forever. If the pump is gone, you will get the wipers to cycle, but no solution is pumped out. If you have the intermittant wiper option and they don't work, then it may be the cover of the wiper motor. There are some electronics in there that can go out. I found a junkyard cover that solved that problem for my T.

I've had 3 TR's, all with cruise contol. I've never had one problem with cruise...just lucky, I guess.

I just purchased my Buick a few months ago. I'm slowly fixing the little things.

The cruise nor did the windshield washer pump worked when I bought it. I'm not sure if both went bad at the same time. The wipers work but the pump does not. The cruise has vacuum and it has power. I figured that it was the stalk since it controlled both and I've checked everything else.

same prob here no washer pumping and no cruise, replaced washer pump so that now works ..have not traced down the cruise yet...

I copied this test matrix from a previous post:

To test the cruise control electrical system, check the 4 wire connecter at the base of the steering column for power as shown:

Cruise Control Electrical:

1. With cruise module left unplugged, Key ON, check the following wires in the connector. Cruise switch 'ON' gray wire in terminal A should have 12 volts read to a good ground.

2. Key ON. Cruise switch 'ON' Set switch held in, you should get a 12 volt signal on the dark blue wire terminal L of the connector.

3. Key ON. Cruise switch 'ON' and the Resume switch 'ON' held in you should get 12 volts on the gray wire with black stripe in terminal M.

4. Cruise light: White wire terminal B of the connector to the module. TAKE OFF THE CONNECTOR to the module and put a ground on it. The dash light should come on through the gages fuse +12 powered with the key on run, bulb test and start positions.

Hope this helps.