Twin Turbo 68 RS Camaro

tommynos

worldwide flooring sales
After wanting a twin turbo in my camaro for many years,ive taken the plunge....Its a new Dart @ 4.165 with all the good forged assembly,custom roller cam,twin PT-6031 turbos,Fast dual wideband sensor kit ...
Greg @ FTI set the converter up,CSU set the carb up and bonnet,Muscle Cars by S/S Motorsports of Sarasota, FL set the motor up,Staceys custom muffler shop is doing the plumbing and this is my budget twin turbo set-up....Its not a turbo regal but I obviously do own one as seen in my sig..

Its not the high dollar set-up but its my setup for my budget...I sold alot of things and traded alot of things to make this happen and cant wait for it to be done...RevExtreme said they would tune it on the dyno when complete,ive had MANY people step up and help me with this and I wat to thank them all..

Heres the pic of it coming off my van and a pic of it in my car later that night..I still have a ways to go but im doing what I can with it...

As far as power goes,im not going to push big numbers as ive never been that way,this is a full factory upgraded suspention car with QA1,Cal Trax,connectors and 10-90s on the front and poly bushings,the 10 bolt still under it...No roll cage and I wont add one,it went 10.6 on the old junkyard motor and that was fast enough for me in it...

Ill turn it down and run low 10s and be done with it,take it to shows and such..

twinturboproject002.jpg

twinturboproject004.jpg

Nice project. Shouls make plenty of HP...Are you keeping the 3 bolt ex housings on purpose? I know you are building a more of a street brusier but I think there is some performance to be gained with a T4 housings if available especially with the small exhaust wheels.

Nice project. Shouls make plenty of HP...Are you keeping the 3 bolt ex housings on purpose? I know you are building a more of a street brusier but I think there is some performance to be gained with a T4 housings if available especially with the small exhaust wheels.

Its just a budget thing...I had got the one turbo that was weeks old for $200 so I bought the other to match...Later on I can add the different exhaust housing and flange if I think its needed that much but im sure it will be enough for me...

Whats your thoughts on it as far as how much of a power loss ill be getting?

What would it cost for the housings and flanges?

Im sure some things may change and upgrade later its just a poor mans set-up for now...

Budget is good!Last I checked the housings were like 150 each. Im sure they would at least take the new exh housing back.

The flanges should be comparable in price on either set up. How much power you would leave on the table is impossible to say, but the 3 bolt housing is typically somewhat restrictive. I saw the bore on the motor,but what CI is it ? 406?

Budget is good!Last I checked the housings were like 150 each. Im sure they would at least take the new exh housing back.

The flanges should be comparable in price on either set up. How much power you would leave on the table is impossible to say, but the 3 bolt housing is typically somewhat restrictive. I saw the bore on the motor,but what CI is it ? 406?

408/4.165,with the issues I had getting this stuff id be better off buying new and selling what I have,if it makes that big of a difference..

I can tell you that we had back pressure issues with smaller t4 series housings on our under 400ci sbc. Our application was over 1700hp though. Just going to a gt42 exhaust side made the motor a different animal. If you can I would talk to someone at Precision and see what they say. I am not sure for the what you are doing I would use the t3 stuff. However I am not saying it will not work. Wow, that was as clear as mud....sorry!

In my opinion, even on a budget, I would use T4 housings. Lots of options should you want to upgrade later. The T3 stuff will make power, just dont think it will be efficient at all. Even if you are looking at 600-800 hp, you dont want the motor working hard at that level.

The header project part has started,we are useing roll cage tubing for strength,not weight saving of course..

The big thing on the front is actually a catalic converter end:biggrin: Im having something etched into each one prior to having them ceramic coated...And making a area for blow off valves incase I ever want to add them later..

We worked on the idea and got one side done,the other side should be real easy now...

We added the header adapters that add the center bolt for less chance of blowing the header gasket and opened the header to fit my highly modified exhaust ports on the dart heads...

The 2 into 1 intercooler will go in front of the water pump(but laying flat and low) between the front frame and radiator(on the inside motor area)..We will build a scoop to force the air in like the GN..Ill also install the Julio special on this for extra security..

Late last night pics on the camera phone..

headers003.jpg

headers002.jpg

headers001.jpg

Stop lying. You sold the two gn turbos to some local gn guys and are in the process of putting this on the camaro 114MM Turbo w/ Billet compressor wheel :biggrin: Then you will get an xfi for it to so that you can fit in and be really FAST :p

My project is done in the projects:biggrin: It looks like a space ship landed on the front of my headers:D
Im etching a space ship door on them...J.K

Updates..
just got it back from piping the headers and downpipes...intercooler is in and awesome!Just got to mount it and pipe it(2 into 1 easy placement)

Ill be disasembling this set-up and grinding welds and then sending it all out to have it jet coated...I know the slip over joints dont look that great but O well,I may have it sent out and copied into 1 piece later...Im happy with it...

twinturbo010.jpg

twinturbo006.jpg

That is great. I wish i had the cash to start my project! I have a 81 TTA, and i want to use a LS engine, anyone got one they want to give away? What kind of fuel system you got, and how does it work?

tt68

Updates..
just got it back from piping the headers and downpipes...intercooler is in and awesome!Just got to mount it and pipe it(2 into 1 easy placement)

Ill be disasembling this set-up and grinding welds and then sending it all out to have it jet coated...I know the slip over joints dont look that great but O well,I may have it sent out and copied into 1 piece later...Im happy with it....

Not bad and atleast you did not go the nut hugger express route :biggrin:

That is great. I wish i had the cash to start my project! I have a 81 TTA, and i want to use a LS engine, anyone got one they want to give away?

Not free but I see deals on lsjuans often.

98 LS1 79,000 Miles Long Block

That is great. I wish i had the cash to start my project! I have a 81 TTA, and i want to use a LS engine, anyone got one they want to give away? What kind of fuel system you got, and how does it work?

After I send out the piping to get covered im working on the fuel set-up,but from Im told I will be using the Aeromotive 1000 with a regulator that has a vacuum line the goes into my bonet on the carb that regulates FP...I also still have to connect my MSD BTM unit and the FAST duel wideband and monitor and wire that all up,im sure im still a few months out on this project...

Here is my 2 into 1 Treadstone intercooler,Ive heard alot of good things with these intercoolers and im not needing big money stuff with my low boost,not to mention im going to add methonal injection too..

twinturbo.jpg

I added 2 godspeed 44mm external wastegates and closed the puc hole with some 15/16 steel freezeplugs and added some tack welding for security and then dumped them into the downpipe with v bands,We also welded up a bunch of stuff today to clean it up some and tommoro I will grind them up nice and get all this piping out for jet coating..

Now ive got to plumb the oil feed lines and drains,wire up the fast widebands and my new fuel system and its like 110 degees here in Florida,I need a/c in my garage!

Hows the project going? Have you finished, well we never finish, you know how far are you?

Hows the project going? Have you finished, well we never finish, you know how far are you?

I fired it up yesterday and it idled and sounded perfect without the cold side hooked up...I took a pic today as its back at my buddies hooking up the 2 into 1 intercooler....Ive also got a methonal kit im mounting on it....As you can see it about done...All fuel is done along with all the rest of it...

Twinturbo026.jpg