Two things been bothering me - bogs a bit and under hood light setup

Hot Air Beast

Hot Air Lover
My 84 starts great - pulls OK but seems to be bogging down just a tad. Just doesn't seem like it is going all out. TPS within range, FP 43 line off, smooth idle, no surging. Anyone experienced this?

Bugging me number 2 - should the under hood light have a mercury switch somewhere to shut the power to the light when the hood is closed. I seem to have constant power so light is on 7/24/365?

Mercury switch is inside the light housing and switches ground. Should only have one positive wire going to it that is hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 84 starts great - pulls OK but seems to be bogging down just a tad. Just doesn't seem like it is going all out. TPS within range, FP 43 line off, smooth idle, no surging. Anyone experienced this?

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?
The bogging down could be fuel starvation.

I was thinking fuel starvation before the 1600 mile drive down to Florida since I have had this problem for a while. Changed the fuel filter before leaving. Problem still with me. Thinking injector purge?

Merc switch in housing - hmm will have to check it out. I have the original housing. Connector broke off and I noticed wire was constant hot. I switched the housing 'cause the old one was looking ratty. Probably should have left well enough alone and stayed with factory housing. Thanks for this.

I'm thinking being rich would bog it. Lean = mean but too lean = boom. Check O2 output @ wide open throttle, especially 3rd gear.

A green scrubby and a rattle can of semi gloss black will make that old housing look just fine.

seems to be bogging down just a tad.
Are you talking about full throttle?
Does it spool fast,make a hard charge and then fall off?
Does it spool slow and never seem to get quite where you think it should be?
Does it bog as you stab the throttle?

kirban 2 cents worth

looking at your question I think you are darn lucky only 2 things bug you about your turbo regal....I think f you put the question out there to the masses you would find other owners have far more issues than the 2 you mention.

not trying to make lite of your problems...just my thoughts...

denniskirban@yahoo.com

My 84 starts great - pulls OK but seems to be bogging down just a tad. Just doesn't seem like it is going all out. TPS within range, FP 43 line off, smooth idle, no surging. Anyone experienced this?...........................

If it is an off-idle or accelerating bog, many times I have cured this by increasing the off-line fuel pressure, and have gone 49-50 PSI with gas, and my e-85 car likes 55 PSI best!

kirban 2 cents worth

looking at your question I think you are darn lucky only 2 things bug you about your turbo regal....I think f you put the question out there to the masses you would find other owners have far more issues than the 2 you mention.

not trying to make lite of your problems...just my thoughts...

denniskirban@yahoo.com
I respect you tremendously dennis and have counted myself lucky to have shared a meal with you at your home (bought under hood pad a few years ago) and tagged along to a couple of car shows, and I know a couple of problems with a GN is not the end of the world, BUT, when the problem drives you crazy and after having spent many hundreds of dollars chasing the problem and not being any closer to an answer, it becomes all consuming. I can just cruise all day without issue but when I call for performance (i.e. passing gear) and there is none; (engine bogs) then I will chase the answer until I find it.

Sorry for not having kept up with this thread. Life has gotten in the way. Let me bring you all up to date on the engine bogging down problem:

I have swapped out four MAFs without change in the problem:

- when cold and while ECM is learning throughn the 15 BLM levels, the engine idles well and pulls out strong. Once warm the engine idles a tad badly and will not pull out strong at all. It is as if the engine is not getting the correct gas/air mix or that a big hand is holding the car back.

- when cold the turbo spools up quickly to about 13 psi. When hot it seems to struggle to get past 8 or so.

- I can just cruise easily without issue (slowly climb to 50 mph to where engine drops down into overdrive). I put my foot to the floor and car jerks/bogs and actually seems to slow down if I keep my foot hard on the gas.

I doubt it is a MAF problem as it has done it with all four MAFS I have (even the one with the chipped housing). The last shop did a smoke test and found one bad vacuum line which it trimmed. I have changed the fuel filter.

I intend to change the O2 sensor tomorrow.

If it is an off-idle or accelerating bog, many times I have cured this by increasing the off-line fuel pressure, and have gone 49-50 PSI with gas, and my e-85 car likes 55 PSI best!
That's a possibility, but, as I write below it is fine cold - both idle and WOT ????

Not sure if i missed this. But do you have a scanmaster? I'd be curious to know where your BLM's are.

Yah, I would too! Unfortunately Scanmasters don't work on hot air cars. I think there are a few old school diagnostic tools that do. One is the "Red Brick" by Snap - On - I gave up on an E-Bay bid at $140 usd.