You can type here any text you want

Type II Ignition Swap Question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

krazy86t

Simple question about Type II ignition swap for 86-87 GN and TType. Is the plug from the car wiring harness supposed to easily plug into the Type II ignition module (Part # 10456478) style plug insert slot? Ignition module and coils arrived today, but the T-Type harness connector for the ignition module does not mate with the new style (different) ignition module.

Nothing in gnttype write-up about the conversion requiring wiring harness plug change. I assumed that this conversion was plug-in play :confused:

Thx!

mine plugged right in when i did it years ago. i did notice when scrounging junkyard for parts to convert that some of the type II modules are keyed different.

I seemed to notice slightly quicker starting and better idle when I changed mine years ago. Some say that they fall off in the upper rpms faster than the stock set up but I've never had any problem with mine. They are a couple of different options for hotter coils for the type II including GM methanol coils but I haven't found the need to upgrade yet. As far as the connector, if you have the right module it is plug and play. There is one pin missing compared to the stock module but it was unused on the TR's anyway. I believe the Casper's harness is to go from the 84-85 wiring to an 86-87 module.

If it doesn't plug in, it's the wrong module. Here is some info:

http://www.installationinstructions.com/FYI/ccci-info.pdf

Picture is worth many words. The image shows that the key is different between the connectors. (original is on the bottom)

I guess that the pins are all the same function (although 84-85 is different than 86-87), so removing the keying would allow the module to work. but there is no way for me to verify this, and if i'm wrong the negative results would potentially be bad.

Attachments

• Ignition connector.jpg
    Ignition connector.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 852
You are wrong. If the keying is different, the pinouts are also different. It won't work.

FWIW, there is really no advantage to going with the new style system. In fact, I have seen some plug firing issues under high boost with this system.

Stick with what works the best. And always use DELCO OEM modules.

Type II

A friend of mine who used to work for Delco Remy and was in on the design of the type II system claims the only advantage is that the type II will withstand the heat better than the stock Magnavox.

i put them on mine and they were pnp, I also noticed a bit smoother idle. I have a ton of spare coil for the type II, and also 3 coils for the type I. I just wanted to try it out and think it works better for me. Though I am at 18lbs, 91 octane chip with a stock turbo.

im in the boat now. im trying to decide what to do, but not convinced this series II swap is right for me....

i like that its more avalible, and cheaper, but does it provide the same amount and strength spark?

i run 26psi, 93 and meth, and shift at 6300....

I have been reading the posts for this before I did it, and there had seemed to be lovers of each style. I did read guys recommending the the 3800 SC coils because They are hotter? I haven't had mine at the track yet, or on a dyno. But I was able to get 6 spare coils, and 3 spare module for almost nothing. I like the ease of getting replacement parts.

We have tested the GEN II coils vs. stock vs. "high output" coils. The GEN II tend to be less effective on high boost as compared to the stock Delco coil pack which was OEM on the GN's.

The high output coils put out a slightly hotter spark particularly on the low end (idle thru 2500 RPM). It is evident when using the coil simulator - spark is notably more volatile and very blue in color.

If I was choosing today, I'd go for the OEM coil pack over the GEN II.

And I WOULD NOT USE JUNKYARD parts. Period. Just my opinion.

cool, right from the horses mouth, thanks for chiming in. I chose the type II route for the FAST START modification. So I am stuck with this set-up. I don't know of any other way of make it better, an MSD box or something perhaps? I guess I'll find any limitation for my set-up when the car is done and I am beating on it, :biggrin:

Go for the high output coils (I think Accel sell them), then you should be good to go.

ok guys

The type II ignition modules have gone thru 2 diffrent changes. The type II module that you will need for a plug and play is for a 87-91 model yr.

the extra pin in the magnavox module is for the pink/blk wire that powers the coils them selfs. the type II module powers the coil thru itself so hence that pin is not needed.

I know guys that are using the type II set-up and run 25-28 psi of boost on them with no issues.

The type II coils have more output voltage. But since they have more output that means they also need more input voltage.

The pink/blk wires that supply the coils is also powering the injectors and other 12 volts key on acc under the hood.

I really think to get the most out of either coil set-up is to maintan the most amount of voltage @ the module as you can get.

Think of it like this....... a 100 watt light bulb uses x current. but a 200 watt light bulb is gonna use twice as much current. If that wattage is not avaliable then your not gonna be able to use all 200 watts of the light bulb. your simply gonna be able to use x power that is avalible.

John

i think testing either coil set-up for actual spark power using your tester and a visual observation does not conclude the actual power either coil has. What happens using your tester and whats actualy going on in the engine is 2 entirely different things.

Back