Uncomfortable seats....

BOP4ever

I have owned my 87 Gn for a week now... I purchased it and drove it 500 miles home.. my butt was hurting so bad I could not wait to get out of the car....

I picked the car up during a vacation and Id been driving for over 1500 miles at the time was I was a bit sore anyway so I just marked it down to being tired.

Well, I just took it for a drive tonight and after 15 minutes I was trying to find some comfort... it feels like the seat is too narrow and lacks padding... it hurts on either side on the outer thigh butt area... I am not a huge person btw.... about 6, 1 " 228 lbs ..., but not a little dude either.... I was certainly hoping for a more comfortable seat. I am wondering if I need to have the foam re-done or something or is this just the nature of the seat. The car was a low mileage 55,000mile car and everything looks practically new concerning the seat... just feels kinda thin on padding...

I bet this ranks as one of the more strange questions to be asking.... LOL

Oh smoked a Chysler 300 that though he wanted to play at the red light tonight... car felt much better in the 85 degree night air vs the 105 day time air Id drove it in before...

Thanks for the input I hope there is a solution...ouch.

:biggrin:

Seats

The problem with me Is I have a bad back(3 back surgeries) and the originals weren't very comfortable or anatomical .I imagine some them Limited leather couches they had were nice and comfy:eek: . Plus I could never get the head rest set properly.

So I picked up some aftermarket seats and they are much more comfortable they are blk./gray match up pretty good better neck, side and lumbar support. Infact I have the originals the driver seat is electric, motor works fine, they both need recovering I'd sell em real cheap if you know anybody lookin for a uncomfortable seat.:biggrin: Have all the plastic parts that cover bolts.

Yeah I can't wait till it starts cooling off around(100 degrees) here these cars love a cold air blast. Heat soak sucks bigtime and then at a mile high. It's amazing the difference they flat wake up. These cars are awesome nothin else quite like em'.

seats

Same problem here, 6'5" 230#. I think G-Body parts has repro foam, I need to look into this, too. Its a good thing mines a t-top, otherwise my knoggin wouldn't fit with a helmet on:eek:

Ditto...and I'm only 5 11, 185. But I drive mine 70miles+ a day. The seats suck. Look great, but suck.

Think I'll be ordering some custom seats for it for next years commuting. Black w/gray and have the 6 headrest cover incorporated.

I've always found mine to be very comfortable. Maybe in certain areas of the country, heat has an effect on the foam. Maybe it's from use----I'd try to replace the foam first. Brian

Big dudes can break-down a seat (foam/ springs) much more readily than us "lessers". If prev owner/ driver was a big dude, then extra wear is likely--even with low mileage.

When I purchased my GN, I drove it home for 1000 miles over 2 days (350 mi 1st & 650 2nd). When I got home my bad-back actually didn't feel too poorly. I think the pain was probably eased by the excitement & subsequent alcohol ingestion has erased any bad brain cells/ memories. My car was previously owned/driven by a big dude for about 25k miles--but the 100k mi prior to that I have no idea...

Now I just man-up & take Ibuprofin for anything over an hour in-the-saddle (seat, that is). :eek: :D

These cars were not made for big guys that's for sure. Then take 20 year old foam and your really in trouble! I'm 240lbs 6'2" I drove my GN to Bowling Green (792 miles one way) and Ohio (451 miles one way) this year so I got a real good feel for them seats! :eek: The foam in my seats is still good thankfully. One thing I did try that helped allot was I put a power seat track in my car. That made it better being able to get the seat in more positions to make it more comfortable. You can go to a local fabric mill and most craft places and they will sell all different thickness of foam you can use. It's usually dirt cheap as well. You can pop the cover off the seat and add some foam in there and that will help some. I had a bronco that the seat foam went south pretty quick and I re-foamed with a little thicker and firmer foam it and it was much better to drive. But yea.. little ruff on the bottom end!

I've happily given up such discomforts long ago .... :biggrin:

Attachments

• GN interior 2.jpg
    GN interior 2.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 360
Can't remember...

these seats ever being comfortable. Even the 83 "T" seats were the same. Drove these cars from New Hampshire and Vermont to Florida and Texas and back. Sometimes driving for 24 hours,:eek:(I love driving these cars!:biggrin: ) stopping only for gas and a drive thru. :eek: Even had part of a seat spring break and jab me in the left-inner thigh!:mad: Ruined a good pair of pants not to mention the hole it left in my leg and the seat cover.:mad: I got to where I put a pillow:eek: under me now. I'm only 5'8" @ 206
I would think you would have to havve the seat specially re-upholstered to double foam pad it.:confused: Then, how would it look?:confused: At least w/the pillow, I can remove it and put it in the trunk, or behind the seat.:)

I may pull it out and check it out... I think possibly the original owner was a lard A$#$ and it has foam issues.... I'll check into repro foam ..until then maybe a pillow will help if I'l driving alone.... hate for my buds to see me using a pillow....:redface:

Oh and to the guy with the super grety leather interior... WOW now thats what these cars should have had to start with kinda full-fills the Class part of the equation a little better...

Story time... Back in 89 I almost purchase a 87 GN but I ended up with a 88 T-bird Turbo-coupe due to wife and consumer reports etc... anyway... drove that car 160,000 miles no problems.... all the time kicking myself for not buying the GN.... but you know comfort, braking, handeling and instrumentation the T-bird was a better car.. It just lacked the GN power, image, and looks IMHO

These are RUQWKNF27's seats. I am sure he will chime in about them.

IMG_0062.jpg

seats

where did he get those, and how much. I hate my seats...just drove from Green bay to woodward dream cruise (detroit) and it sucked.

Me and my buddy had to take towels and use them for supports behind our back and the sides of our legs.

I would be all about those seats.....where and how many $$$$

Thats the only way to travel! Looks real nice John!

Phillyturbosix said:
wow the chairs in my house don't look that comfy!!

Thanks guys! Also wanted to save wear and tear off my pristine originals, too, so I did it again ..... and by the way, fyi, note the armrest/glovey. Can be had from many 90s GMs. It's just felcroed to the stock TR console. :cool:

Attachments

• LEATHER SEATS 4.jpg
    LEATHER SEATS 4.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 329
  • LEATHER SEATS 6.jpg
    LEATHER SEATS 6.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 341
Having the power seat option is a must. Add the power seat tracks to the driver seat and it will improve the comfort. When I was looking to buy my GN, the power seat option was a must have option. That way you can tilt the seat bottom to your comfort instead of the flat seat position of the non-power seat.

I love my seats everyone says they are really comfortable, its a 70,000 mile car in the WI/IL area i have the power seat option also, im 6'2" 200LBS, maybe its because most of the time i'm driving it im planted to the back rest!!!;)
,Dan