You can type here any text you want

Underhood frame Braces

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

83turbomon

Starvin Like Marvin...
Im am desperately trying to find some under-hood frame braces but ive been unsuccessful in finding a pair that bolt on. I tried to steal some from a cutlass supreme diesel in a junkyard, but they were too far gone and bent. I bought some from a pontiac bonneville sedan that I thought that would fit but they dont unless i drill some holes. What will bolt directly on? I also am trying to find the 3rd frame brace for under the car as well if anyone has any info.

Compression check coming later.... sorry:(:( (senior project)

Don't worry about anything other than the compression check kid. We really want to get the car running right first, then worry about getting it to perform better. A car with a blown engine is just yard art after all.

Don't worry about anything other than the compression check kid. We really want to get the car running right first, then worry about getting it to perform better. A car with a blown engine is just yard art after all.

Thanks for responding..... I have my senior project this week and the damn exhast fell off of the car:mad: (bottomed out) and I need to focus on the class this week... been ssuuuuper busy this week. When you do a compression check, do you turn the car on just crank it over?

Thanks for responding..... I have my senior project this week and the damn exhast fell off of the car:mad: (bottomed out) and I need to focus on the class this week... been ssuuuuper busy this week. When you do a compression check, do you turn the car on just crank it over?

Disconnect the large wire to the distributor first off. It powers the coil. Then spin the motor over 5 or 6 times until the gauge doesn't move anymore. Make sure the engine is up to operating temp so you'll have the best reading and post back with results.:smile:

oh yeah, forgot.

I know what you are saying about the GP underhood braces. I bought some and after realizing I have to drill holes I don't want them. So, if anyone wants them send me a PM:)

Im am desperately trying to find some under-hood frame braces but ive been unsuccessful in finding a pair that bolt on. I tried to steal some from a cutlass supreme diesel in a junkyard, but they were too far gone and bent. I bought some from a pontiac bonneville sedan that I thought that would fit but they dont unless i drill some holes. What will bolt directly on? I also am trying to find the 3rd frame brace for under the car as well if anyone has any info.

I was lucky and found a set from a 1987 cutty, they were the thin braces not like the 1's from Kirbins that are thick, if you do come across a set just make sure you grab all the clips/hardware and the best thing is you won't have to drill.:cool:
On the same note the braces did help a bit.. but the the lower cross member to frame braces were the best upgrade and that alone made a HUGE change in how my car handled!

I was lucky and found a set from a 1987 cutty, they were the thin braces not like the 1's from Kirbins that are thick, if you do come across a set just make sure you grab all the clips/hardware and the best thing is you won't have to drill.:cool:
On the same note the braces did help a bit.. but the the lower cross member to frame braces were the best upgrade and that alone made a HUGE change in how my car handled!

the ones i got were from a pontiac bonneville sedan. I found a diesel cutlass supreme that had them, but they were too far gone, and the cutlass supreme only had 1 for the passenger side.

Okay... heres one of the braces that I pulled off of a pontiac bonneville sedan.... but there are no holes that the screws will fit in. Im not sure if i need to drill a hole in the core support for the bars, and in the fenders, or just find a new pair... whats your take?

Attachments

• 21383255474_ORIG.jpg
    21383255474_ORIG.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 89
Might need to bend the fender portion to fit your car. Mine came off a cutlass for a cutlass so mine went good. I know for a fact the GP ones are different than cutlass ones, so does that mean they are different between all models? I dont know. Heres a pic showing how mine go.

picture853.jpg

Ive got the GP jouce bar support too. Ive got a spare laying around along with a set of Monte Carlo core support to firewall bars. Dont fit a C/T car though.

All inner fenders are different between cars, I know that. But I dont know if the holes are different or not.

Move the front bar so the hole to the outside of the rad lines up with the hole on the bar, and see where you get.

Are these bars off a G bonneville? They only built G bonneys from 82-83 or 81-83.

Might need to bend the fender portion to fit your car. Mine came off a cutlass for a cutlass so mine went good. I know for a fact the GP ones are different than cutlass ones, so does that mean they are different between all models? I dont know. Heres a pic showing how mine go.

picture853.jpg

im not sure if our core supports are the same, the bonneville bars dont match up on the core support or the fenders. The ones from the cutlass supreme are hard to find.

All G bodies share the same core support. Only changes are bolt mounting flanges for fenders.

The ones for cutlasses are rare? The yard I pulled mine out of has at least 5 complete sets. Of course they have 30 4 dr cutlasses and 10 78-80 2 drs.

If you put the front hole in the bar lined up with the hole in the core support you see where mine is and they dont line up they are wrong. If the angle of the flat part that bolts to the fender is off, you might have grabbed them off a B body. It should line up, although the inner fender may not have a hole in it.

Back