Unintentional Trans Fluid Change

nightrain

I'm the other nightrain..
Just a heads up for those of you who might be using stock style spring type clamps on your rubber trans cooler lines. I recently installed a shift kit that increased my line pressure at WOT and advertises softer shifts at part throttle. It works great, but one thing I neglected to consider was the increased line pressure in the cooling circuit.

When I hit WOT, I almost ended up in the ditch when the rubber cooling line blew off my hose barb at the radiator. :eek: I installed a B&M plate type cooler and used fuel injection hose clamps on it, but never thought of the hose connection at the radiator which had been there since the old cooler was installed years ago. When the hose blew off, it sprayed trans fluid all over the undercarriage and the road, which was no match for 21lbs boost and the rear tires at 50mph. I've got fuel injection hose clamps on all the rubber hose barb connections now :biggrin: and 5 quarts of new fluid.

You shouldnt have much of an increase in the cooling circuit. If its over 50psi you will put the thrust at risk. Is the PR valve modified in any way?

You shouldnt have much of an increase in the cooling circuit. If its over 50psi you will put the thrust at risk. Is the PR valve modified in any way?

There is a different pressure regulator spring that comes in the kit.

If the cooling lines don't see a pressure increase, then it was just coincidence that the hose blew off after I installed the kit,T/brake, and cooler, and my point was to consider stronger hose clamps around the trans coolers. I never had that happen before and it was quite dangerous. The only part that blew off was the one with the stock spring type hose clamp. The kit works as advertised, though. Quick, but not "bang" shifts at part throttle and nice and fast shifts at WOT.

There is a different pressure regulator spring that comes in the kit.

If the cooling lines don't see a pressure increase, then it was just coincidence that the hose blew off after I installed the kit,T/brake, and cooler, and my point was to consider stronger hose clamps around the trans coolers. I never had that happen before and it was quite dangerous. The only part that blew off was the one with the stock spring type hose clamp. The kit works as advertised, though. Quick, but not "bang" shifts at part throttle and nice and fast shifts at WOT.

That shouldnt effect the cooling circuit pressure much unless the valve has been modified.

most i ever see in cooler circuit is 70-80 even if the pumps are in the 280 range with full TV..........RC

most i ever see in cooler circuit is 70-80 even if the pumps are in the 280 range with full TV..........RC

I wouldnt want over 60 psi if i trailered my car to the strip and used a trans-brake. The cold fluid and trans-brake application while holding the car on the line will force the converter into the thrust too much. If it was 60-80psi when cold for a few minutes i wouldnt worry. But on the brake i would be a little concerned. 280 is a lot of line. Im fine with 240-250 myself. 225 is more than enough for a 10 sec application from what ive seen.