Up date on 3 in. dp

Lee Thompson

Looks as though there is enough interest. I/ve found a place to cut the flanges. Have some things to check out, but I will be making them. Possibly could have some before the end of December. I hope I don/t make 6-8 of these and have to eat half of them. That would take a lot of salt!!! Email me directly if you want one---Thanks----Lee

hey lee , i just put your old 3" - 3 peice down pipe on tonight, looks great, is this going to be the same one you are making soon.

If so i was thinking maybe i could get some pictures of mine for the guys on here so they can see what it looks like.

if thats cool with you i'll get some after work when i have some light.:)

hope this helps

kevin

Got your e-mail Lee. The down payment is sent as of today. :D aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawe yeeeeeeeeeeeeeah!

I sent yea three pictures if you want to use them . Iam not sure how to put them on here. :)

hope it helps

upload them on the hotair site and put links to them over here ;)

or send them to me and i'll try and get em up .

Im sure ol lou wont mind them since it is hotair related

now to remember my password over there :D

pics.

Got the pics., but I don/t know how to post them. I/m lucky to just get on line. Give Red a try-- Thanks

oh I see get Red to do it...:D

I'll try and get em up..the hard part is remembering my password cause the email adreess thats stored over there i dont have no more :eek:

I'll figure it out I'll post once they're up.

ok you should be able to view the 3 shots sent to me by CRAZYGN and 2 shots of Lee's car

HERE

feel free to check over the rest of the site while your there by clicking HERE

Can somewhere clear comething up for me?

i have a question concerning this 3" DP. I was looking at the pics submitted my crazygn. Does the 3" dp allow you to run the stock exhaust elbow? And also can you run the stock adjustable wastegate? or do you have to go to an external wastegate? Any help with this would be great. Thanks

no, this is does not use the "elbow" and it does require an external wastegate..hope this answer your questions.......

taken from: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60888

Originally posted by Lee Thompson
IF and this is a big IF, I should be able to build some 3 in. dp later this winter, how many people would be interested? My biggest hurdle is getting the 3/8 thick flanges made. A few years back I had the facilities to make them my self. Now I will have to get someone to machine them for me. These would be for use with an external wastegate. I spoke to Terry huston last year about buying the flange with the WG built in---$150-- so you can see the price gets way out there. Plus they require some extra work. Thanks---Lee
does that answer the question?

Lee? yoo hoo :D

Hey Lee I hope it was ok to post them pics of your car ..just figured it would show the pride you take in your stuff.

where are the rest of the people wanting these pipes??

I figured this thread would be 2 pages or more by now.. :D

I think its great that Lee will take his time and make these pipes to help out the hotair guys and if I still had a use for one I'd be all over it. ;)

I sent my deposit already. Anyone willing to do this kind of work for our community deserves our complete support...

Originally posted by turbo6x2
I sent my deposit already. Anyone willing to do this kind of work for our community deserves our complete support...
shetyah!

What kind of work is involved with adding an external wastegate? What are the advantages to one? Does anyone have any pics on how to do it, and approximately how much it would cost to add this?

?

I take a shot at trying to explain. Keep in mind, this is the way I view it. Everyone may not agree.

If you have ever looked into the inlet of the exhaust housing, you will see that it botttle necks down to a hole less than 2 in. in dia. With a production style wastegate, all the exhaust that comes out of the 6 cyl. must pass through this opening.
With an external gate all exhaust gas still passes through this opening until the desired boost level is reached, then the external gate opens, allowing this exhaust to exit prior to the turbo, thus better breathing.
IMO, this is the main advantage. Another is the ability to adjust boost from inside of car, or where ever your controller is mounted. From my experience, boost is more constant ( steady )
You are taking the boost control away from your chip and wastegate solenoid. Now you can control it with a simple turn of a knob.

The down side is buying a gate, mounting it and if so desired, piping back into exhaust system. If I/m forgetting some thing, someone jump in.

So that means I'd have to buy an external too? :( I'm pretty much pressed for money right now. And if I have to buy an external wastegate to compliment Lee's downpipe...I have to widthdrawl from the buy. I can live with the downpipe and all, but after checking with prices of some external waste gates ranging from $328.00 - $900.00 not including shipping to Hawaii :mad:. I bought msd wires through summitracing.com and shipping here is a bitch because...well, were so fricken far away. imagine summit sells the wires for some $55 bucks only to spend $30 for shipping? that a bunch of BS, so you know where my gripe is as far as attaining parts. plus the money I'd have to spend to have it fabricated into the crosspipe and an added boost controller. So, yah....I'd have to pass on the buy, though I've already sent my money order in through mail to Lee.

Lee, again, is this setup for external or stock like wastegate? Just to be sure before I pull out from the buy. I was willing to spend the cash thinking that it would be set upped to use the stock location wastegate, even wanting to pay it in full right away...but as soon as the subject about adding an external gate along with other variables...it making me weary about the purchase. Lee, if its ok, I would like to get my money back only if i need to make those other accomodations for your dp. sorry.