You can type here any text you want

Update On The MeanKids

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JayC

T6P.Com/TB.com Administrator/Webmaster
Staff member
Since I've been kind of flying underneath the radar lately I thought that since we are about 99% done with Scott's car, I would make a post about what we've been up to.

After running 8.40 @ 164 last year at 3490lbs, we decided over the winter that we were going to step the car up and run in the local 1/8th mile racing organization called Texas King Of The Hill. Those guys are running 4.70s or so at every race but with 90% of the cars being nitrous rides, you really never know how fast they will go from pass to pass. With some 1/8th mile tuning (Without changing the 3.89 gears), we managed to get a 5.23 out of the car in the 1/8th with Scott pedaling it once on that run.

Figuring that we would need every advantage we could get out of the rules, we stripped the car down to nothing in an attempt to get the car as light as possible so we could add weight back where we wanted it. An added benefit was when we go to Buick events, we could take the weight out and run all out. As you can see from the photos on Meankidsracing.com, there is very little factory sheetmetal left. A fiberglass front clip, hood, doors, dash, rear end and trunk was added and all windows were replaced with Lexan. Every inch of support in the roof and A pillars was cut out, all the factory frame rails to the firewall were cut out and replaced with tubing. The car is now a double frame rail car essentially. The factory frame was retained as per KOTH rules from the firewall to radiator support and it was cut off again and the intercooler and radiator mounts were fabricated there.

Since this whole deal is heads up off a pro tree, we decided we would need something better than a 400 for launching the car if we were going to be competetive. We went back and forth for a long time between a Freddy Brown powerglide with his variable stall deal or a Lenco/Liberty. In the end, after about 6 weeks of research and deliberation, we went with a 4 speed Lenco with a dual disc clutch from EastWest Clutches. We also slipped in some 5.13 gears for 1/8th mile only tunage.

We added a new intercooler from Charged Air Systems which is a prototype for a new race intercooler Tony is working on. He asked me not to say much about it until we've tested it so if you want to know about the intercooler, ask Tony. All I can say is it's pretty trick. The radiator and water pump are also from CAS.

After getting all the 'glass mounted, the car was shot with a white silver from House Of Kolors and with a version of the Mystique paint. If you look at the photos, I think it's easy to tell which is which ;) The Mystique we used changes blue, green, purple, burgundy and yellow. The flames were also painted with Mystique.

In the fuel system department we upgraded from a single Weldon 2025A/SX regulator combo to a dual Weldon 2025A/dual Weldon regulator setup. We used -10 to the rail and -10 returns. Overkill for sure with the V6 but if we have aspirations to grow some extra cylinders down the road, we're covered fuel system wise. The 160#/hr injectors from before were carried over.

As you can see by the pictures, it's pretty much all business now inside. Funny car cage, 3 gauges, a tach, Innovative Turbo boost controller and a buncha MSD stuff.. thats about it.. oh, and the Lenco :)

So.. in conclusion.. props to Kory Day from Day Performance and his dad Kenny for the chassis work and the paint job. Thanks to Corvette Jim for his feats of engineering and extra special thanks to the boo boo boys who thought we were just going to fade away (You know who you are).. we're baaaaaaaaaaaack.

Anyone has any questions about anything except the clutch or the intercooler (I'm sworn to secrecy on both), I'll be happy to answer then the best I can.

Next up, bringing my car back from the dead finally...............

Well good luck with the KOTH pursuit guys, that is some of the best, most exciting racing around IMO. If you ever get the car down to say Navasota or Sealy, or even River City I'm there for sure. I hope you guys can keep us tightly posted on the results!

BTW the car looks freakin' awesome too :-)

TurboTR

Jay,

You, Scott, and Kory have done a scary amount of work on that car in a short time. It looks awesome! Did you put it on a scale yet to see how the weight reduction efforts came out? I want to see this thing somewhere on the East Coast!

Kendall,

thanks for the props - we have been beating on it kind of hard... even the wife mentioned it a few times (LOL) we havent had it on the meter as of yet, after we bought the scales to set it up - we found out that 'hotchkis' lead me into thinking I would have my Tube A arms/spindles/springs and brakes in a 'few' days... not at all the case as of yet... but thats another story in its self. But, I will say that I will 'have' to be at least 3100 to run the King of the Hill races and 3000 to run in the local Outlaw class, I am sure we will have to add weight back to get it there but fair is fair... I will have to weight as much as the 706" inch guys runing 3 stages of juice - it should be interesting to see if we can compete. poor little v6...

I am seriously considering the Bristol event this year so maybe you can see it on that side of 'east' =) if not some of the east coast guys should look into that Noble event that the OK guys put on - its not a big money race or nothing but it is always pretty good weather and I have always had a good time...

take care,

MeanKid

some of the east coast guys should look into that Noble event that the OK guys put on - its not a big money race or nothing but it is always pretty good weather and I have always had a good time... I second that :D Tim

Noble event

some of the east coast guys should look into that Noble event that the OK guys put on - its not a big money race or nothing but it is always pretty good weather and I have always had a good time... I second that Tim

It's heads up racing , againts FORDS!!!!doesnt get any better ! We need all the help we can get , just dont tell the Ford's we are bringing the troop's ,let's suprise them this year !!!!

That's an impressive car! I hope I get to see it live sometime. Jay (or Scott), what's the story behind the name "MeanKids"? Just curious.

thanks for the compliments - it sure feels good to be almost finished and to be recieving those kind of comments sure make it all the while - I hope it runs good =)

as for the 'meankid' name... it is just fitting I quess... I have a real close friend that always calls me 'mean' - she also says I am a big spoiled kid... so they just kind of go together... MeanKidsRacing is just something I always wanted to do and since I have had some extra time... we are now starting to get it off the ground - the original meankid is a buddy that I work with - we all have 'game names' (names that we play with when we are testing out our game here at work) mine used to be 'co0ter' or 'MeanAss' he started calling himself MeanKid - we decided to create an online art gallery called www.MeanKids.com (it should be up sometime very soon) soon after that I assumed the name MeanKid on IRC... so once again it just sort of 'fit' and thus www.MeanKidsRacing.com was born - this car is just part of my ever growing need for speed...

take care

MeanKid

OMG,

I just saw the updates. You can not tell that was Paul's car.
Good luck with the new combination it looks killer.

Didnt you mean, "you cannot tell that was Pauls roof and quarters that used to belong to Nelson on that new chassis?"
Nice looking piece, whole lotta work in just a little time, makes me jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back