You can type here any text you want

Upgrading Stock Calipers

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
If Brad isn't interested in these.....I am.
Can you send me some pictures pls.

Will these fit with stock 15" GN steel wheels & also 16" GTA rims?

PM sent

thanks,

dave

They're all yours Dave. I' ll take Marks when he goes with the powder coated black set.;)

They're all yours Dave. I' ll take Marks when he goes with the powder coated black set.;)

Thanks Brad!
Hey, how you keeping these days?

I just put the car way 2 weekends ago. Not gonna do too much over the winter......might just throw these calipers on + some new slotted / cross drilled rotors (if I end up with these SSBC units). Gotta be some improvement over the marginal brakes that came on these cars....especially now since I've converted over to a vacuum system).

dave

Thanks Brad!
Hey, how you keeping these days?

I just put the car way 2 weekends ago. Not gonna do too much over the winter......might just throw these calipers on + some new slotted / cross drilled rotors (if I end up with these SSBC units). Gotta be some improvement over the marginal brakes that came on these cars....especially now since I've converted over to a vacuum system).

dave

Good...dialed the car for 7.15 in the Sportsman class for rounds 9 and 10 at SMP. The car's getting close to the 10.90 index...so it's time to upgrade the binders.

I think summit sells some that are repackaged ssbc's. Also do the ssbc's come with new line?

I will post the info on the calipers when they get here (Size, weight, fitment) I won't have any real world info till next season. Price is good on the willwood calipers about $100 less than the SSBC. Both look good though.

Did you get the single piston Wilwoods, or the dual piston?? Definitely let us know weights and stuff that would be great.

If you buy the SSBC kit you get calipers, bolts, copper washers, banjo bolt, and pads. The only difference was that the stock calipers have a taper on the end of them. Makes it easier to mount. These calipers have no taper and have to go in straight down. From what I remember I had to remove the warning clips from the brake pads. 15" wheels not a problem. Centric makes a good rotor as long as you buy the more expensive one. IMO everybody should upgrade to the Russel braided brake hose kit. Those rubber hose are horrible.

If you buy the SSBC kit you get calipers, bolts, copper washers, banjo bolt, and pads. The only difference was that the stock calipers have a taper on the end of them. Makes it easier to mount. These calipers have no taper and have to go in straight down. From what I remember I had to remove the warning clips from the brake pads. 15" wheels not a problem. Centric makes a good rotor as long as you buy the more expensive one. IMO everybody should upgrade to the Russel braided brake hose kit. Those rubber hose are horrible.

Good info...thanks. I swapped out to the SS braided lines quite some time ago...and they definately stiffened the brake pedal. Now...the $64,000 question. How much more stopping power do you feel you have?

Good info...thanks. I swapped out to the SS braided lines quite some time ago...and they definately stiffened the brake pedal. Now...the $64,000 question. How much more stopping power do you feel you have?

I don't have them on my car I installed them on my friends car last year. He dumped over $600 on a Powder coated set, and new rotors. I did test drive it afterwards and was impressed but his car was a very well conditioned GN. For the money a bit pricey I would just go with the plain aluminum set that SSBC sells A181 kit can be found for right under $400.00 and much less work than doing a Blazer swap.

Here's the $75,000 dollar question... How much better do 13" rotors and 4 piston clampers feel compared to the upgraded 11" slotted rotors and wilwood or ssbc 2 or 1 piston setup? Is it really worth the money? If so, then I will save and do it. I will scrap metal for cash till I have enough to get them. I owned my GN for ove ten years now and I'm planning on keeping her forever. 17"x9 CCW'S look great too. I am planning on terrorizing all the Subaru sti's and BMW M3's of the world with my baby.

Here's the $75,000 dollar question... How much better do 13" rotors and 4 piston clampers feel compared to the upgraded 11" slotted rotors and wilwood or ssbc 2 or 1 piston setup? Is it really worth the money? If so, then I will save and do it. I will scrap metal for cash till I have enough to get them. I owned my GN for ove ten years now and I'm planning on keeping her forever. 17"x9 CCW'S look great too. I am planning on terrorizing all the Subaru sti's and BMW M3's of the world with my baby.
Night & Day difference! ;)

Back