Upgrading Turbo ??

scgnx

I read the thread about John Craig Turbo's and it got me thinking about upgrading. My question is will moving up to that large of a turbo work with my combo ? The car is mostly street driven, but sees the track a couple of weekends a month in the summer. I'm mostly concerned with increased turbo lag.

prolly wouldn't want to go any bigger than you got unless you also upgrade your converter, heads, injectors etc...your combp should run 11's as it is

scgnx, what do you currently run in the 1/4? and you say you have ZR-1 brakes, do the rotors just bolt right in or is it the whole system?

That was the thread I started...my combo is similar...and I upgraded my PTE-51 to a TE-62...you will need a different converter...mine's a 3200 9/11...but I disagree Woody about the injectors...50's work fine with the TE-62...also headwork would be beneficial but not needed...

50's will go mid-low 11's no prob....I was thinking a bigger upgrade, like a '63 or '45

Turbo buicks..I actually have the ZR-1 calipers (front) with 12 inch rotors. I went with a spindle from a caprice (b-body) and Hotchkis
A-arm to get the proper geometry. The rear disks are a Baer kit, which by the way works great on the street. Unfortunately, it doesn't hold much boost at the track. My best ET is 11.84 @112 w/1.95 60'.. My Art Carr 9.5 non-lock up wouldn't be a good match with the 62 ?? Is this correct ? Just trying to keep the costs down to a minimum. I do plan on headwork in the near future as well..

What's the stall on that converter?...I would say a minimum of 3200 is needed for a 62 turbo...I have no lag issues with my combo...

I've had this convertor since 94', I think its 3200 or 3400 stall. So it sounds like my convertor should work with the 62. How much does the John Craig conversion run ?