You can type here any text you want

Upper and lower A arms

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Dwayne

Narrow A$$ Racing
A friend of mine who races a G-body at Bonnieville, has offered to give me the upper and lower a-arms from his car. They are the stock arms but they have steel bushings in them instead of the rubber. The bushings have a spiral groove cut into them to accept grease. All the bushings have a zirk fitting in them to keep them greased. On the right side of my car, where the 3.5" DP goes thru, the bushings are cooked from the heat. I was wondering if anybody had tried steel bushings in their a-arms.

FWIW & IMHO:
Steel against steel might apply the wearing on the wrong part, ie, the a arms instead of the bushing.
Global West suspension uses a special brass bushing for the same application.

When I get home this evening I'll take a pick of the bushing and post it here. I know about the tubular arms but I really didn't want to spend the money on them for I've spent about all the money I'm going to spend on this car this year. I don't drive the car on the street much other than just around the neighborhood, it's 85 % race car. I was wondering if there would be any advantage to getting away from the rubber bushings in the stock a-arms. Thanks

The UB Machine UCAs on my GN have a greasable steel on steel bushing. I haven't had them on my car long enough yet to tell how they hold up in the long run.

Did it change the quality of the ride, like noise or rough handling ?

BigDaddy said:
Did it change the quality of the ride, like noise or rough handling ?

I used poly and solid mtr mounts in lots of g-bodies. They are not that bad. There was a company that made a telfon lower control arm bushing. So after installing a BBC in the g-body you would not cook the bush out. Sorry no link.

Two thumbs up on the UB greasable steel lowers. I don't know if I'd put them on a car I drove in snow or rain, but for a fair weather driver they are great.

I really noticed the difference at 165 mph. Much more steering control and less floating the steering.

Thanks for the replys: since this is just about a race only car, I'll make that a winter project and put them on and have the car aligned.

stickybones said:
The UB Machine UCAs on my GN have a greasable steel on steel bushing. I haven't had them on my car long enough yet to tell how they hold up in the long run.
Bones; Is the UB uppers a direct replacement?

Yes. I mean you still need a ball joint and you'll need a realignment and all when you're done, but otherwise a direct replacement.

Back