You can type here any text you want

Usb serial port question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

blown96w

hey I have a question, I got a lab top from work that I want to use for my system, But it dose not have a serial port so I went staples and bought a usb to serial port adapter. I read a post about setting up the com ports I have tried com ports 1,2,4 setting up the fast system and the devise manager the same, still ecm could not be found. I plugged the my laptop in and it communicates fine. Any ideas no what I need to do?

Thanks in advance

blown96w said:
hey I have a question, I got a lab top from work that I want to use for my system, But it dose not have a serial port so I went staples and bought a usb to serial port adapter. I read a post about setting up the com ports I have tried com ports 1,2,4 setting up the fast system and the devise manager the same, still ecm could not be found. I plugged the my laptop in and it communicates fine. Any ideas no what I need to do?

Thanks in advance

Be sure that the laptop doesn't already have a COM1 already installed in the device manager. Some laptops will do this in spite of the fact that they don't have a serial port on the back of the machine. You can also check the BIOS to make sure that it's not trying to allocate any resources to a COM port.

You say that you're setting the COM port in the device manager. I'm assuming, then, that you're finding the USB-to-serial adapter and setting which COM port you want it to use. Is that correct?

Back